Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making tincture the modern way

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by starguy, Aug 23, 2022.

1. r you using the 200 proof or 150? I don't mind the taste of the chlorophyll, but the ethanol sucks to me. maybe the 151 rum like P Sam used in his u-tube vid? Got a tray of bud decarbing now. Great minds think alike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm using the 200pf Organic corn ethanol.,and I don't really taste it as feel it burn. I taste the bud most and I don't mind it.
    I will use it sublingual and to dose cookies and jello.,Works all good.,

3. Well I did 2 squeezes of the new tincture and 1tsp. of some honey(w/65mg.) .,.the honey was almost as hot as the tincture.,and it has a very comfy feeling.,
    We have storm coming in.,starting tonight sometime and going through Thursday night.,12" + -., I got no where to be but here., 20191220_073006.jpg.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. I survived the dosing and the storm.,we ended up with just 4".,no complaints from me.,.
    I did a pb and phoney sammi the other day and I was toast.,I have to remember not to do tincture with the pbh.,

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm back.,lol.,I have been enjoying my products and just got a new pound with 4 different flavors to chose from.,
    I decarbed 4oz. of Cridical Thunder and use 1/2 of it to make some Tea Tincture.,
    I ground up the bud in a coffee grinder to a powder and I used 8oz. of 200prf. ethanol to cover it in a canning jar.,I put this mix in a double boiler and bring the temperature of the ethanol/ bud up to 168+-,.stirring occasionally.,and then remove from the heat to cool,.,about 10min. .,.stirring a few times as it cools as well.,.the finely ground bud tends to pack a bit so I like to stir to keep it all blending.,.,then pouring it through a chezcloth first to strain.,,squeezing it to get all I can.,then I pour it through a coffee filter.
    I end up with 5oz. of tincture that is aprox 45mg. per squeeze of the eyedropper .This is a good dose for me.
    I have tried different things over the past year and I have found that I like this recipe for tincture.,and I have been spiking honey and cookies and jello with it with great results.,Best2all and thanks for looking.,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Why do you heat your tincture? We all did it that way for decades until we learned the cold method

7. Hey, welcome back. Great minds must think alike. I much prefer to smoke but the tinc is just the ticket for my arthrittis, haven't needed it in a few weeks (a good thing) I think the wife glommed my last tinc & concentrate :confused_2: I just love the cool green color & wanted to gift some to upcoming guests. I'm on the same page with ya for 1 squeeze of tinc & 2-3 drops s/l sublingual of the concentrate as a dose. :thumbsup: :metal:

• Like Like x 1
  8. #188 starguy, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    I heat it because it works very well for me.,I have made some quick wash and some freezer stuff but I like my tea.,
    It's a very simple recipe and it works all good. I can go from bud chunks to bottled tincture in 3 hours just puttzin in my kitchen., 20230422_104649.jpg
    My Earth day batch.,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome back! Have enjoyed following your experiments... keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mmmm cuz it's the best way I know how? :rolleyes: By cold do you mean freezing? To concentrate a tincture I can't imagine a quicker /easier way than to reduce it in a double boiler (heat), but I'm always willing to learn.:smoking-bong:

11. After decarb, extraction should be done with ice cold 190 proof or higher ethanol mixed in with frozen buds. Then leave in freezer for some time between 30 minutes and 2 hours (PSam's OG recipe called for a 4 hour soak), then strain. This limits the extraction of unwanted compound like chlorophyll (chlorophyl? More like borophyl) and will produce a potent product that doesn't taste like complete ass.

12. #192 nachoboomer, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Yes but you will also get the full 190 proof ethanol taste in your mouth. :eek: I'm right with you step for step, I just burn off the alcohol in a double boiler as a final step. I suppose you could let the alcohol evaporate as a no heat option.

13. Exactly! i always fill up to barely cover the busds then let sit 2 hours in the freezer, then muddle the buds. First strain through metal coffee filter. Second strain through paper coffee filter.

Then you should reduce however you prefer. I generally reduce by about half but i also do a second wash of the buds for better extraction before the reduction.

Reduction can be accomplished by a coffee pot heater, double boiler, or any warmer. I recommend against reduction with a fan and no heat as too much water will be absorbed and result in a cloudy solution, especially for those in humid areas.

14. I'm using 200 proof organic corn ethanol and although my tincture burns a wee bit.,it most certainly doesn't taste bad imo.,You have your bud sitting in your alcohol way longer I do.,Hell I've made potent tincture with the bud and alcohol only together for seconds.,a method mentioned here and on other sites.,According to these posts the alcohol makes quick work of removing the goodies.,No need for freezing or heating.,
    I was hoping that it might get a few more goodies by heating it like a cup of tea.,It's the cook in me I guess.,
    I tried the freezer method and it didn't seem to make a product that was much different in potency and that's what I'm after.,and as I said mine burns more than tastes.,an I like the burn.,It let's me know I'm doing something.,

• Like Like x 1
  15. When you say "we all did it that way" can you tell us what you did.,what was that way?? I searched and searched and mostly found instructions for making tincture that suggested soaking the bud in alcohol anywhere from weeks to months.,I don't remember reading anything about heating it or making it like you make a pot of tea., When I found this site it was all about the freezer thing so I tried it.,Then I read about the Quick wash.,and did that for a few batches.,The difference between the two methods was the methods only.,They tasted/looked and worked the same.,So why spend all the time with the freezer thing when a 10 second wash produces the same results?
    I was a cook most of my working days.,and think that warming it a little may get some of the other desirable things from the plant that freezing it doesn't get.,Then again I may be full of baloney., thanks for your replies.,

• Like Like x 1
  16. I THINK heating will get you more of both the wanted & unwanted stuff (chlorophyll taste for 1) :confused_2: SO as usual it comes down to moderation & personal preferences???

17. I would agree with you except that the bud and alcohol are not together very long.,(25min. max) and the temperature is not very hot.,I don't get a different taste per say as much as a darker product.,
    I do agree 100% with you in that it is a personal preference.,Best2all and thanks for the replies.,

• Like Like x 1
  18. One more thing I wanted to add is that with my latest recipe I don't have to reduce my tincture.,I get 5oz.of tincture from 2oz. of bud.,making it aprox 40mg.p/sqez.,and this is a fine buzz for me.,
    Right now I lose about 3oz. of ethanol in the straining.,I can live with that.,

19. The only heating I do is during reduction or burning off a lot of the ethanol. I noticed P Sam used overproofed rum (151) proof. I havn't tried that yet. Better taste? If you like a dry martini U R gonna luv the 200 proof ethanol, cheers.

20. So for some historical perspective, over a decade or more ago many of us simply let non decarved bud sit in vodka for weeks which will get the job done but is about the worst possible way to make tincture.

Then some of us found Master Wu's green dragon recipe posted here:
    How to make green dragon tincture
    (This is obviously not the original website but it does have the recipe I remember).

Basically decarb at 325 for 5 minutes then mix with Bacardi 151 (the posted recipe says high proof alcohol) and evaporate in a double boiler at 170 for 20 minutes. Very similar to your tea recipe.

It wasn't until PSam came along and started writing about ice cold extraction that we could produce the near tasteless potent and clean product that we get now from following his recipe. He liked a longer soak than was needed for recreational usage and was trying to get more medical benefit such as pain relief.

Just went back and looked at PSam's original "Another Tincture Thread" and it dates back to 2012. Now I'm curious to search back and see if anyone else was doing cold extraction around the same time.

If anyone wants any further reading i highly recommend reading about BNW and his hallucinating hash caps. He makes them with pure kief but i only use ground flower and they still get you higher than any other method with THC due to the use of lecithin the the biochemical transfermation of THC to delta 11 THC that occurs in the liver.

Starguy, thanks for this great thread, conversations, and general interest in making tincture.

• Like Like x 1