Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Tea With vaped Bud

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SoCali, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hey, I've got a question for those of you seasoned in the field of cooking with cannabis. I've been smoking for quite a while now but I've never even attempted to cook with bud yet. From what I've read on this site and other sites, you can use your vaped bud to create cannabutter and other delectables. Now, I'm also a big fan of tea, so my question is.. can I make some tea out of my vaped bud that will contain all of the THC that was left in them? From what I've read, there are some cannabinoids that do not break down unless they are combusted or baked, so to me this sounds like a viable idea.

2. Since vaped bud has been heated past decarboxylation temperature, it should be ready for consumption.

Experienced AVB cooks please comment on whether or not thats true.

Importantly, you can't dissolve cannabinoids in just water. You need something to keep it in solution- a lipid. Milk works ok as a lipid, oddly non-dairy creamer works really well.

I've never cooked with AVB or made tea, so i'll let someone with more experience fill you in on the best way to get your cannabinoids into the tea/lipid mixture.

3. That's interesting.. I haven't heard that bit about decarboxylation and it being ready for consumption. Well I followed a recipe posted in this forum for Bud Tea and it worked pretty good. I just boiled some water with a tbsp of butter in it and after put my vaped buds into the pot.. an hour later I turned the heat on and started adding sugar, fresh mint leaves and some chai. The tea came out pretty good though, the taste was rich enough to not be bland and I went from being at the end of my high back to the peak of my high after drinking half a cup.

4. Its the technical term for what you mentioned- the need to heat cannabinoids and "break them down" for them to be ready to eat.

It involves a carbon dioxyde molecule breaking off of the THC, which happens slowly at room temperature, and quickly at about 200F.

5. You're saying since 200F+ air passes through these buds and breaks off the Carbon-Dioxide molecules that I can absorb all of the THC simply by eating them?

I've yet to hear that concept but I did only get my vaporizer 4 days ago so there's probably some details I have yet to learn.

6. The vaporizer will decarboxylate a good amount, probably enough so that its good to eat.
    Cooking in a croc pot or something similar is probably better though, as it will insure you decarboxylate everything.

But as I said earlier, i've never actually cooked with vaped bud, so hopefully someone who has can come in and confirm whether vaped bud needs cooking or is good to go.

7. Yeah, actually I was hoping somebody who's cooked with vaped bud before could give me some pointers because there's plenty of info on cooking with normal bud but it's definitely a bit different chemically after having been vaporized and it's been a guessing game for me so far but nothing's come out bad so far.

My max temp for vaporization is 185c (I start at 176 and up the temp every minute or 2) I've read of other people having shitty edibles because they vape their bud at higher temps like the 190-215 range (yeah, bud combusts at 200 but some people still try to 'vaporize' at such a temp) but I believe since I don't burn the fuck out of mine, my edibles will come out good. Is there any flaw to this reasoning?

8. No, but keep in mind the less vaporization you do the bud, the more likely you'll have to cook it later to decarboxylate, however, the final result will be more potent.

9. I figured as much, that the less vapor I extract from my buds, the better my edibles will be. The hotter the temp the more of the vapor I'll get but keep a balance at 176-185.. I get more than enough hits of vapor and vaped bud that isn't black or dark brown but more of a light honey brown