Making Tap water usable?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DankiestMcDank, Jan 18, 2010.

1. How can i use tap water to water my plants? I heard that leaving it sitting for 3 days makes it usable is that true? The problem is the only water source i have is tap water, and i don't plan on spending $$ on water of all things.

2. They're plants, they really won't die if you feed them tap water. Some people avoid it because it has chlorine (evaporates if you let it) and other minerals in it, like iron, calcium, fluoride, etc.

That being said, they grow just fine in water.
    Like, from the toilet...?

3. Also does any one know about using melted snow to water plants with? I live in the mountains of Colorado and there is a few feet on the ground and it is clean(not like city acid rain/snow)

4. Are you suggesting me to use toilet water? ha

5. Colorado is incredibly smoggy (at least some parts are) i've heard from several people who lived there. i wouldn't feed them snow-water. Tap water left out, in a breathable container for 24+ hours should evaporate the chlorine and make it useable.

6. and if nothing else, get a ph test kit with a ph up and a ph down. youll be fine.

7. Colorado is not smoggy where I am at. I live in the NW corner. I don't see pollution as much of a problem here. So if any one has ever tried using snow let me know i heard it was high in N.

But thanks for the answer TDG on the tap water that answers my first question just fine.

8. i used tap water to water my plants straight from WV tap... Im sure its not the cleanest water in the world but my plants grew nice with tap water.... i used tap until i transplanted them to the wild :D

9. "Tap water" encompasses a wide variety of whatever comes out of the tap at all of our homes. We live in different utility jurisdictions, our water is processed differently, and the pipes from the water plants to our houses change/add to the water in unique ways. Bottom line: there's no such thing as "tap water" as far as any way to answer your question, it depends on your tap water.

Best thing is to filter it, even a Brita pitcher. And while most filtering removes chlorine, best to still leave it sit open at least 24 hours so any remaining chlorine can evaporate.

Melted snow is the same as rain, meaning again a wide possible range of quality, from pure water to acid rain and much in between.

10. My opinion is based on Denver.

11. +Rep:hello:

12. Some water has a pH way out of the recommended range for growing, mine for example is about 7.8. The pH factor alone, before figuring out the effects of other chemicals, is enough to warrant not using tap water, imo.

And to the OP, you can buy small scale reverse osmosis systems, it will run you a bit, but will probably save a lot in the long run, since it's one flat cost instead of the price for bottled/distilled over a long period.

13. Put a couple buckets outside to collect rain water. Maybe this only workks in Oregon, haha. I see nothing wrong with the snowmelt either, just make sure it's warmed up a bit.