making sure ur plants dont get pollinated

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by johnnyd, Dec 12, 2003.

1. I am planning to plant outdoors this spring.
    i was gonna do it on some farm ground that i have
    There is ditch weed on the land that i am growing on so i was wondering how close does a male plant have to be to the female plant to pollinate it.
    There is a lot of ditch weed all around my land.

2. pollen travels far.... better to do a hunt for the males, or u might end up with some seeds in your grown stash...

3. pollin can travel upwards to 200miles.

do a search and destroy or u will have seedy weed.

one thing u can do to block the pollin is to have ur plants near structure so wind doesnt have direct access. but in the long run...u will have seedy weed if males are around.

4. i think i will really have to do a search and destroy for male marijuana plants.
    i live in nebraska and is windy as hell here.
    if i put my marijuana in a forested area, is it less likely to get pollinated?

5. yes, direct wind is the worst for pollination.

a western wind block being the best.

6. Pollen definitely does not travel upwards of 200 miles, it is most effective within a 50-100ft range, and at 500ft has about a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of pollinating a calyx, so if you know of no males in the surrounding 100 ft., have no worries, and even then you might find 1 or 2 seeds in your harvest, and hell, if you like the strain, then heads up, 1 or two seeds for next year isn't a problem. I grew a 1/2lb. harvest of one plant this season and knew of about 30 plants about 200 feet away and only landed about 10 or 20 seeds in the entire harvest, so if you don't know of any plants in a 100-200 ft. diameter, sit back, turn on marley, and smoke yourself green. Peace.

7. mother nature gots her way.. its better to be on the safe side, then getting seeded weed...

8. Wonder how long pollen can live? Ive got some indoor plants about to flower, and I actually flowered some 12 weeks ago, and grew a male and pollinated them so I would have lots of seeds.

Ive wiped the room down a little with windex, but hmmm, wonder if the pollen will fuck me on this next grow.

9. Pollen definitely does not travel upwards of 200 miles, it is most effective within a 50-100ft range, and at 500ft has about a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of pollinating a calyx, so if you know of no males in the surrounding 100 ft., have no worries, and even then you might find 1 or 2 seeds in your harvest, and hell, if you like the strain, then heads up, 1 or two seeds for next year isn't a problem.

ur mostly right. but i happen to have worked on gymnosperm pollin that has a graph of upwards to 200mil range. all wind pollinated spp do. so pollin does travel that far. hamelidae spp most likely have the same graph as other wind pollinated spp.

also there are many researchers that do work on island taxonomy that study wind pattern and spp movement. anything that is wind pollinated could be hit with a weather pocket.

but yes most of this is academic. chances are random pollination is very small but again...if u protect ur plants to the north and west, in the nothern hemisphere, that is the standard fix.

Grasscity Deals Near You