Making Shatter With Iso

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Daz3dnconfus3d, May 29, 2014.

1. So I've done a bunch of qwiso runs so far. If I have I explain what that is, this post is most likely not for you. Anyways, I typically wash anything from an eighth to a quarter, premium bud always. In return, I typically yield around a gram give or take. After some practice I'm able to make some pretty good shatter. I end up with a nice transparent amber piece. I recently decided to wash about an oz of stems I had been saving for this purpose. What I got was about a gram of what I can only describe as a "taffy" like substance. It tasted good got me pretty high but I was expecting more. Nonetheless, I then washed an oz of some shitty weed. Now I don't mean brick weed or regs but my real weed heads now what I mean I'm sure. What I yielded from that was even less than I got from the stems and it wouldn't shatter up. So What I'm trying to figure out is why this happened. I follow the same 3 wash process just on a larger scale. Filter it the same way. I use a larger pan to evaporate the iso but got a shitty end product. What I want to know is why and what I'm doing wrong. Should I be cooking it off in 2 or 3 dishes maybe? Am I only going to get good shatter from good bud? Any suggestions, tips would be a great help. Thanks and keep dabbing!!

2. Um i havent done a shit ton of iso to really be putting an input in but i do make a lot of waxes and full melts and i have noticed that the strain does make a huge difference. I do know that u should keep it low scale so maybe break up the batches or run multiple at a time [my friend told me this when i did my first run has been making iso wax for a long time and his method is a family secret (i will ask him later whats up with this and either add it as an edit or another post)]. Anyways the type of stain can affect alot about it. Sometimes the strains are ran better extremely dry or maybe with a different kind of alcohol. Some stains work better with iso while others work with a corn based alcohol and so on. Really again i dont have enough experience with exactly what ur talking about but i would just say experiment and keep logs and over time it will come.

3. Appreciate the input my friend. I already consulted some friends of mine who also do the quick wash method and they seem to feel the same way. It makes sense to me that the more powerful the strain the better the product. If the buds not great I shouldn't expect much since there's not a great deal to extract from the bud. But If I do try it again with lesser quality bud i will definitely do smaller washes and separate cook offs and see what happens. Any good tips on small runs I'm always down for some more knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Oh and I'd love that family secret if u can pry it out of your friend lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum