Making my own shrimp meal

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 420sa, Mar 15, 2017.

1. I live in South Africa where any type of crustacean meal fertilizer isn't available anywhere

So I'm left with the option of having to try make my own... I'd like to know how possible this is.

I want to make my own shrimp meal as shrimp is cheaper than getting crab in these parts. How would I make it? Is it ok to use shrimp shells that have already been cooked?

Do I then just dry out the shells in the sun, ground them up and then add them to my soil mix?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Keep in mind though the amount of shell weight on 1lb of shrimp compared to the shell weight of the same price worth of crab. If you can find whole crab, you may be saving money by buying the "more expensive" of the two and ending up with a lot more shell/$.

Anything can be dreamt.

3. why pay? just go to a seafood restaurant, im sure they will be happy to save you all the shells you can carry.

• Like Like x 4
  4. I heated the crab & shrimp shells in a 400 degree f oven for 40min then crushed via a hand crank grain mill it came out looking great heating it made crushing much easier

5. Thanks for all your replies guys

Great I'll use a similar method. Which body parts of the crab and shrimp do you include into the mix? DO you use all parts? Perhaps leave the eyes out?

6. Shells/exoskeleton....

7. None of the soft bits just the shells & claws, but yeah they never seen it coming :ey: