Making more tops on your plant

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by High Hitter, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Does anyone know how to make your plant have more that 1 top?????

I do It is called pinching your plant.
    l \/
    You make your plant go from this l to this l I will show anyone who asks me to.

!!PEACE!!

2. Please enlighten me ;)

3. you mean topping?......using a razor to cut it, and getting more shoots, or maybe the FIM technique, a bent razor through the top, has been known to get 11-12 new grow tips?...........Peace out.......Sid

4. First thing you do is wash your hands really good WITH SOAP!
    Second thing is take your plant away from any lighting while the process is going on.

In order to do this you MUST HAVE atleast 9 sest of leaves.

Then you thake the newest set of leavet at the stem......DON"T peal the leaves off take the stem clear off.

\/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    ||
    __||__
    | |
    |______|

Like so

\/
    Cut off here> ~~~~~~~
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    \/
    ||
    ____||____
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |________|

5. that diagram wasn't confueing at alll. . . .

6. you can top a plant at any time after the second set of leaves and anyone that doesn't know how to top a plant should be buying there weed sorry bad attitude

7. i was under the impression the only important thing when creating more shoots for the plant is to do it BEFORE flowering, and to cut off or pinch off the apical meristem... could be im wrong. you do it your way, ill do it mine i guess.

just another newb

8. i know im gonna regret asking this but wots the soap got to do with topping a plant???

9. When you top depends on your plan. You may top after the first real leaves are fully formed. Wash your hand if you plan to pinch the stem with your nails. Otherwise use a clean razor or very sharp embroidery sissors. Wait until the tiny apical leaves have a 1/8" stem. There is where you cut. In a few days you should notice 2 new branches developing at the top node with foliage. (And sometimes at lower nodes as well.) Those top branches may be allowed to grow 2 sets of leaves before you once again remove the top growth. Then you will grow 4 main tops. I never tried to go for 8. You may allow branches to grow on these quadra-stems, but some believe in removing lateral growth so all the energy goes to the tops. Pinching and topping are best done during the early vegetative stages, and never when you are contemplating going to 12s. Newly created bud sites which are given time to develope properly will produce quickly and more fully.
    In the end, pinching should be kept to a minimum, except for severe height limitations, because each wound is a shock the plant has to get over, and spend energy to heal.
    Catch ya L8R gang, eg

10. yeah, you should always leave 10% of the growing tip for stronger growth shoots:)

11. Since the profile of an untopped healthy outdoor mj is 8ft+, with a classic Christmas tree profile, topping/training seems like the perfect outdoor stealth. Drasticly changing the profile, maybe even going scrog in a backyard garden. I once ground layered a beautiful sex unknown among the tomatoes. But turned chicken when the back fence neighbor got curious.

Just the earth girl giving her pot thots some O2! ciao