Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making marijuana caramels!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by jordo, Dec 22, 2009.

1. So I'm making the cannabutter right now... ground up two really fat nuggets and added it to 2.5 lbs of butter. Plan to cook on low for an hour or so.

So! How much of this should we eat? We've made brownies once before and ate them all (just the two of us) and we don't even remember what we did that day, LOL! So yeah... this is some pretty good weed, I think. aphgan goo?

Sorry if I posted this is the wrong section. Feel free to move it for me :)

2. Lol never thought of something like that...

3. Yeah, I tried them at a poker party in the city and they were pretty bomb, but I had been drinking so I'm not sure how much of that night was influenced by THC and how much by grey goose...LOL

4. 2 "really fat nuggets" to 2.5 pounds of butter is going to yield some weaaaaakkkkkkk butter.

My standard recipe is half a zip (dank) to one pound of butter. Everything goes in the pot with 3 cups water, and then simmers for 2 hours. Strain it through cheesecloth, refrigerate, and then remove the hardened butter from the water. There ya go.

Sounds like you shoulda just made firecrackers

5. For real now!? Why do all the recipe sites say to add a half an oz of weed to 2.5 lbs??? Oh well, it's all good in the hood ;)

6. Because it takes a significant amount of weed to make potent cannabutter?

7. A .5 oz is a significant amount of weed? You do know that a .5 oz is like half a tablespoon right?

8. No, its not. Its like half a ziploc bag....

9. Sure sir, if that's what you would like to believe.

0.5 (one-half) of an ounce (28 grams) is 14 grams. 14 grams is a hell of a lot more than half a tablespoon.

10. HAHAHAHAHAH :confused:

11. Shit son, my bad! I guess I will make a new batch with half of one of these ziplock bags. Thanks!

12. So if someone were to be making enough caramels to make ~120 doses of upper mid-grade stuff, how much would you guys recommend using?

13. You can figure this part out yourself, I believe in you.

Find a recipe for canna-butter (pro-tip, there's one stickied in this forum)

Find a recipe for caramels that you enjoy.

Find out how many batches of that recipe would yield 120 candies.

Do it to it.

14. #14 BadKittySmiles, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012

It depends on the tolerance of the end-user, but in general many people feel between three and five doses per gram is average (again, that is if the patient is an 'average' user, smoking around or less than one gram per day), but in the end it just takes a little simple math, to decide how much you need in total. :)

Edible cannabis can be much more powerful than smoking the same amount, it can provide stronger, longer-lasting effects than smoking the same material (if processed properly, that is).
    If you're making them for several patients all at once, it's better to keep the individual dose low (0.2-0.3g in flowers or bud, per candy), and recommend several candies for those with a higher tolerance. For instance, if you were to make them with roughly a quarter of a gram per candy, you would need 30 grams to make 120 candies (120 / 4 = 30 ).

I recommend using concentrates or hash to make your edible oil, for the candies, using coconut oil. Making your oil concentrated not only makes chewy and hard candies possible, by allowing logical/reasonable doses per single, candy where standard canna-oil made with flowers may be too weak for even five or six candies, but it leaves you with room in the recipe to add the butter or milkfat that caramel recipes usually call for, as well.

Here's our favorite caramel recipe, and ingredients, it makes 55 - 60 candies, -just follow the exact directions in the link below, the only change is that you'll be using the below ingredients and the finishing temperature of your choice depending on the texture/style you want... choose 'hard crack' for hard, brittle candies that you can suck or crunch, or 'firm-ball' for softer, chewier candies.. experiment with the temps between to find your favorite!-;

-Medicated Caramels-

- 1.5 cups white sugar

- 1/2 cup brown sugar

- 3/4 cup milk, or light cream

- 1/4 cup water

- 2/4 tsp vinegar

- 1/3 cup butter

- 3/4 tsp salt

- 30 - 60 doses of canna/hash oil, or the amount of your choosing (for instance 30 doses, for roughly two candies per dose, or 60 doses for roughly one candy per dose).

- (*** EDIT*** We choose not to use syrups in our recipes, however I suggest that ALL inexperienced candy makers use 1/4 cup of rice syrup, or corn syrup if it's all you can get, for the stabilizing glucose 'interfering agent'. Briefly, it prevents your candy from crystallizing, melting and falling apart just as it finishes. Careful cooking will create stabilizing glucose from common table sugar, if you make 'invert sugar' first for instance, however most recipes suggest using an outside source of glucose for simplicity and 'more certain success'. :)
    Also, be sure to make AT LEAST one -successful- batch of candy, WITHOUT using canna oil, but while using all the same oil sources, including those used to make your canna/hash oil... keep everything the same, except your canna. Most people have 'mishaps' with their first two or three batches... and if you enjoy caramels and hard candies, then once you make a successful batch you'll have a nice treat, so it's no real loss to practice... and practice makes perfect. :))

** Complete Instructions & Photo Tutorial in the link below, simply change the -finishing temperature-, to suit your texture-needs;

UV GLOWING Hash or Canna Candies

[​IMG]

Again, the broad and 'ideal' temperature range:

** 'Firm Ball' (stable, chewy) - begins at 244 f

** 'Hard Crack' (hard and crunchy) - begins at 300 f

You can alter the flavorings (fruity, sweet and sour, to chocolate, caramel and coffee) the fats, you can substitute milk for water, and ultimately make a variety of candies, ranging from soft and chewy, to hard and crunchy, all by using the below guide... just pick your ingredients, and your desired texture, and then simply modify the temperature to suit your needs! (Always adding your canna oil at the end.)

Remember, whether or not your candies work will rely entirely on the quality of your canna oil... start cutting corners on your oil making process, and even the tastiest, most perfect caramels won't give you nearly the buzz you'd like! :p

So be sure to activate, and promote bioavailability in coconut oil!

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard enough to shatter for 'glass candy'... the 'S', rectangles and squares were formed by hand while still warm and soft, but now, they are hard enough to shatter and break when chewed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good for other things, too... instead of the red candied canna apples below, you can make Caramel Canna Apples!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One final note... we are quickly nearing the end, of the best time of year (for many of us) to make candy [​IMG]
    It is usually cool and dry, for many people this time of year.. the autumn through winter months. When your temps are too high, and the RH/humidity of the room is over 60% it becomes a slightly more difficult and tedious processing, making your candy set-up properly.

---------

-Cannabis Concentrate-

And here's some extra help with making a VERY EASY, and VERY POWERFUL medical-grade cannabis concentrate and edible oil, for your candies.

There are both -smoke-able- and -edible- versions, contained below!

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to BHO, but made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a slightly longer wash, below, showing both edible AND smoking/vaping concentrates.... washing longer gets you more potency, but it pulls in more chlorophyll and plant salts as well. Ideally, (more so with just-decarbed, than vaped material) you'll do one quick wash for a pure run, then re-dry the plant matter, and make either a light edible oil with the remains, or a second alcohol run for a 'dirty concentrate'.. the weak oil can be used as-is, or it can function as a base-oil for more potent flowers/leaf, contributing a few extra doses to the finished oil.

Some folks prefer a longer wash all at once, though, not only for the extra potency, but because believe it or not, bottles of glorified chlorophyll and grass extracts can cost up to fifty dollars a pop, and it's great for digestion, and the skin. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like pressing a little ball between my thumb-nails, heating it up (so it's not brittle), and flattening it, then I tear a little hole in the center before it cools... this way, when it bubbles and melts, it makes a nice little 'O' then sinks directly into the herb, just as it should (instead of 'rolling down' the herb to the lower end of the bowl)!

[​IMG]

Hope this helps! Good luck, and have fun! :wave:

[​IMG]

A tip; - Sometimes, we use clarified, smokey bacon fat in place of half the butter, and a bit of extra salt, in our caramels.. nuts and seeds are a very nice addition, as well..... it's surprisingly delicious!

15. Thank you so very much! Your response was concise, pleasant, and just all around awesome. Two very big thumbs up, my friend! :hello: