Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CBD Topicals Making CBD Topicals? Use Olive Oil!

Discussion in 'CBD Oil' started by Storm Crow, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Olive oil is high in Omega 9 (oleic acid). This study says that oleic acid improves the absorption of CBD through the skin. Unfortunately the full study is still pay-walled, :sad: so all I can give you this time is the abstract.

In vitro percutaneous absorption studies of cannabidiol using human skin: Exploring the effect of drug concentration, chemical enhancers, and essential oils. (USA) (abst – 2022) In vitro percutaneous absorption studies of cannabidiol using human skin: Exploring the effect of drug concentration, chemical enhancers, and essential oils - ScienceDirect

Highlights

Effect of concentration on delivery of cannabidiol into and across human skin.

Short term (4 h) delivery of cannabidiol into skin and enhancement by oleic acid.

Investigation of any potential effect of essential oils on skin permeation of cannabidiol.

Abstract
    Cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive constituent of cannabis, has garnered much attention after United States Food and Drug Administration approved Epidiolex® for oral use. Although therapeutic effect of cannabidiol after systemic absorption has been investigated extensively, its therapeutic potential in treating skin disorders after local delivery still needs further exploration. Our study has investigated the effect of cannabidiol concentration, chemical enhancers, and essential oils on percutaneous absorption of cannabidiol. In vitro permeation tests were conducted on human skin. The 24 h study results suggest no significant difference in amount of drug absorbed into skin, between 5% (242.41 ± 12.17 µg/cm2) and 10% (232.79 ± 20.82 cm2) cannabidiol solutions. However, 1% delivered (23.02 ± 4.74 µg/cm2) significantly lower amount of drug into skin than 5% and 10%. Transcutol and isopropyl myristate did not enhance delivery of cannabidiol. However, oleic acid was found to be useful as chemical enhancer. Oleic acid (43.07 ± 10.11 µg/cm2) had significantly higher cannabidiol delivery into skin than the group without oleic acid (10.98 ± 3.40 µg/cm2) after a 4 h in vitro permeation study. Essential oils at concentrations tested had lower total cannabidiol delivery when compared to control. This study's findings will help guide future research on the pharmacological effect of percutaneously delivered cannabidiol on inflammatory skin disorders.

Graphical abstract

[​IMG]
    1. Download : Download high-res image (77KB)

When I make my cannabis balm, I use a mix of hemp seed oil (excellent ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3) and olive oil (for the Omega 9).

In case you are new to making your own topicals, it's very easy to do! When I volunteer at the dispensary, I give folks hand-outs on cannabis. This is the one for DIY cannabis balm. To make a CBD balm, you just start with a high CBD cannabis. I have arthritis and carpal tunnel, and all I can say is that this balm works for me. I usually use home-grown buds and all the little bits of stem that hold the buds together from the dispensary buds. If you grow, the cost to make this is quite low.

[​IMG] Granny’s Simple Cannabis Balm [​IMG]

It is very easy to make your own, no “high”, pain-relieving cannabis balm! You will need about a tablespoon (or two, for a stronger product) of well-crumbled cannabis buds (any variety), a half cup of an edible oil (I use a mix of olive oil and hemp seed oil), a little bee’s wax, and a bit of mint extract or your favorite perfume (optional).

Put the oil and cannabis into a coffee mug and set it gently heating on one of those little coffee cup warmer hot plates for about 8 hours. Then use a tea strainer to strain the cannabis out of the oil and discard the plant matter.

Pour the oil back into a clean mug and put it on the warmer. Now here’s the part where you get to decide how thick you want your balm to be- adding the chunk of bee’s wax to your warm oil. Start with a piece that is a bit bigger than the size of a marble, break it into smaller pieces, and let them melt into the oil. Placing a saucer on top of the cup will help keep the heat in and melt the wax faster.

To test the thickness of your balm, take a teaspoon and remove a little of the mixture and let it cool. If your balm is too thin for your liking, add more wax, let it melt, and re-test. Too thick, stir in a spoonful more oil and re-test. Just right? Stir in a bit of mint extract or a spritz of perfume if you like, and pour it into a clean jar while the balm is still warm. You are done! It is that simple to make your own cannabis balm at home!

Granny (and back to reading studies! :wave:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1