Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making Cannabutter - First time

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by JackSheets, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Hi folks,

My goal is to make some cannabutter and put it in brownies to wind up with "standard " 10 mg doses for brownies. I don't mind going slow.

Me: I am a daily smoker. My gf and I go through an 1/8 oz of bud per week.

My materials: 1/8 oz of Lemon Haze. Not sure what THC content is. As many boxes of brownie / cookie mix as will yield 10 mg brownie portions.

I've had edibles before.Twice. Mild buzz not too intense. I think they were 10mg each.

I'm okay with having to mix the cannabutter w regular butter in the mix.

Any help is appreciated. I'm having issues with asthma that is making my smoking sessions not as enjoyable so trying to find alternatives. Thanks

2. There is a much simpler alternative to making cannabutter:
    (1) Decarb herb @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer
    (2) Grind to powder
    (3) Mix into the oil of any brownie/cookie mix, and try to bake as little as possible.
    I do this frequently with cookie mixes, thick cookie size mini-brownies, and bake 8-12 minutes.

A fairly safe assumption is that your herb is about 15% thc, which means that every gram you use will supply about 150 mg thc to an edible.

For example, if you wanted to make 16 brownies each having 10 mg thc, then you'd need 160 mg total, which is a bit more than 1 gram herb. 10 mg doses are small for experienced users, so you might want to make 20 mg portions, and start with 1/2 of one brownie.

The downside to all this simplicity is that there might be slight herb taste, depending on how strong you make them, and some people get upset stomachs from whole herb. I don't taste any herb when using 1/4 gram or less in a 15 gram edible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks for the help.

A couple of questions: so the amount of herb I'm decarbing is gonna be a tiny amount, right? A bit over a gram of herb. In my oven.

So about 1.06 grams of herb for a regular box of Duncan Hines brownie mix. Decarb first. Grind into powder and mix the powder into the veg oil and just bake as per the box instructions?

You say to underbake a bit. Why is that?

So if I cut it out to 16 portions. Each piece will have how many mg?

Sorry if I'm being repetitive. I am math phobic.

4. Yes, 1.06 gram of 15% herb will make 16 brownies, each having about 10 mg thc.
    Experienced users might need more than 10 mg thc, so I'd recommend making them at least 20 mg, and then eating a fraction. A whole brownie mix (I'm looking at a betty crocker 519 gram box right now) can probably use 12 g herb without tasting much herb. It's not uncommon that experienced users would need around 50 mg thc, and in that case five 10 mg brownies would need to be eaten.

You are correct about the procedure.

I've not done experiments with the 20-40 minute brownie baking times that most people use, and they are probably ok.
    Additional heat can over-decarb, but interior temps don't get as high as the oven setting.
    Rather than under-baking, I make smaller size edibles in a mini-muffin pan, and bake them until they're done, which is usually 8-10 min. Of course smaller objects heat up faster, so I might not really be avoiding a slight over-decarb.

5. @JackSheets
    I gave up smoking cigs back in 2011 and at my doctors urging I finally stopped toking the herb too and went to an all edible oil as my primary method of medicating.
    Since I use it all day every day as medication making it into food was not practical so I opted for the standard gel capsules.
    Coconut oil is a better carrier then butter IMO and even my wife has changed her cooking from butter-shortening to Coconut oil once I turned her on to it for it's total lack of it's own flavor. It's a very Neutral oil.
    Just make the same batches each time so you know what to expect from your oil.
    Weigh the herb and measure the oil so each successive batch is the same strength.
    Dosing.
    Finding your personal happy place the first time is the most problematic. Most get way to hammered the first time and are scared to pony up to the bar for a second try.
    I make a bunch of gel caps with 1 drop of oil in each cap. Take an additional cap at 1 hour intervals until your high.
    Slow and it usually takes a whole day but it's the safer way to set the base line you need.
    Decarb all material first 240 F for 40 minutes
    5 grams weed-hash-bho-abv-wax-shatter-bla-bla
    2.5 teaspoons coconut oil
    .5 lecithin ( any kind, enhances strength )
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Done
    This is the basic oil I learned from badkats thread many years ago and stripped down to the bare minimum times and steps to make the strongest oil possible from the starting material.
    Just 1 drop can overwhelm my wife and I thin it by 3x for her use.
    Take care and enjoy.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  6. Used Wild Bill's receipie with a box of Duncan Hines fudge brownie mix. My gf also swirled a little creamy peanut butter on top before baking. Delicious peanut butter chocolate brownies no herb taste at all. I think I may need to add more herb next time. We eyeballed about 2g of herb for the box. Been going slow since about 3 hours ago. But still don't feel much except a light buzz. Maybe didn't decarb long enough?

Decarb 35 minutes at 250 F

Attached Files:

7. You decarbed long enough. 30 min @ 250 is optimal.
    Decarb can be inefficient if oven temps are inaccurate or unstable, which can be avoided by using Ardent Lift/Nova to decarb.

8. Use BrassNwood's method. Somehow, the freezing does something magical to the oil and weed. I made edibles using much more weed than that out of budder and barely felt a buzz. I made brownies using his method and I was blasted.
    In fact, way too blasted. I was not able to enjoy the high for very long because I couldn't see or focus. I had to hold on to the walls to get myself to bed.

I will be doing this again, once I get off my court appointed T break.

• Funny Funny x 1