Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making brownies, need to eliminate pot taste

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by jsav, Mar 11, 2011.

1. So I've mastered Firecrackers, I'm going to move on to brownies :D

With April 20th around the corner, I'm the only one with access to a safe place to make the brownies (I live 40 minutes from my campus and my parents work all day).

I've got recipes, but I would like to know if anyone has advise on how to eliminate/dramatically reduce the taste of cannabis in the brownie. This might be my only chance to get my girlfriend to try pot. She definitely won't smoke it, and I doubt she'd vaporize with me. Good tasting brownies along with some sound evidence that oral cannabis consumption poses little to no risk to health might seal the deal and help get my girlfriend to give this stuff a try.

She's very "Reganisitic" in terms of view on Marijuana, and I intend on changing this. She's a sucker for chocolate, and I'm praying she opens up and gives it a fucking try. Otherwise I might just have to break up with her for being so narrow-minded. (Not really, but it would be nice if she stopped calling everyone who uses pot a scumbag.)

And anyone wondering why I'm with her even though she's so anti-pot: her father was a drug addict and left when she was 7. Her mother put "drug addict" into broad terms to include pot (which he rarely used), cocaine, meth, etc.. So basically, that fucking asshole ruined it for me and many other people. Our relationship is pretty much gold, minus the fact she hates pot. What's fueling this fire is that my doctor is pretty much ready to give me a MMJ rec. if/when it becomes legal in NY for a medical condition I have. So I use it medicinally. She's got some ailments of her own that could be helped with cannabis, but she's too strung up on "pot is bad and leads to hard drugs and makes you stupid and..." (I stop listening at that point). I actually really don't care if she tries it. I just want her to be open-minded and stop being such a bitch about it. I hate getting drunk but I don't criticize people and make them feel like shit for it.

2. #2 Bedorf1, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    if you make it with oil you cant taste any pot

get anywhere from a quarter to an ounce of ground buds/trim/shake/stems and simmer it in a pan of oil(use a little more than the recipe calls for) on low for 20-25 minutes, lightly stir the whole time make sure not to burn it. After strain out the oil using a fine strainer with a coffee filter in it, let the oil cool for 5 min and cook the brownies like you normally would, they taste great and you could give them to a police officer and he wouldnt know. have any more questions feel free to ask

also you should have a sit down with her and let her know that there is nothing wrong with cannibis. It doesnt lead to other hard drugs and if her father smoked just weed there wouldnt have been a drug addictions, other hard drugs lead to problems but weed cures peoples illnesses. You shuoldnt have to force her to smoke if she doesnt want to but i dont see any reason why she wouldnt if she is well informed about it. anyway gl

3. what kind of oil, like sunflower oil?

4. preferably oil with the most fat content, i use canola oil

5. Use gingerbread mix it covers the taste well I think. I gag eating edibles because of the taste but I just had an "On the Rise" Ginger Club edible and it was super potent and I didn't even taste pot.

6. if you make the brownies right they really shouldn't taste like weed... you don't put the clippings or buds you use into the brownies or butter, or oil, they're strained out... also, no one should ever eat brownies for their first time. I ate brownies for the first time after over 5 years of smoking, and they were almost too intense, even for someone who had smoked every single day all day long... and if you're planning on giving her the brownies without her knowledge...she will freak out, not to mention that's felony assault right there, i've seen it happen. Seriously though good luck on changing her opinion.

7. I'm not going to just serve her brownies and then be like "hahaha there's pot in those." I'll tell her.

She just informed me that if it came down to dying or using marijuana to live, she would rather die "because of [her] strong morals."

8. I'm not going to just serve her brownies and then be like "hahaha there's pot in those." I'll tell her before I serve them.

She just informed me that if it came down to dying or using marijuana to live, she would rather die "because of [her] strong morals." If she doesn't agree with my use of cannabis for IBS AS APPROVED BY MY FUCKING DOCTOR, ill probably have to break up with her for reasons that should be obvious.

9. That sucks that she feels that way. Women, right? Maybe you should give her some shrooms.;).. completely changed my outlook on life for the better.

10. I use grape seed oil because it's harder to burn and has a high fat percentage (21% I believe - canola is usually around 14%).

I finely grind up the cannabis and put it on a non stick pan. I cover the plant in oil, enough to cover it. I simmer on low heat for about 1 hour. I then take a coffee filter or two (unbleached) and dump the mix in from the pan into the filters, that are sitting over some small mason jars.
    Then I use betty crocker type mix and after the oil has cooled down I mix in the oil (whatever the recipe calls for, but I like to add a little extra just cuz).
    I have NEVER tasted weed in it... neither has anyone else. They dont smell like weed neither.

Have fun and goodluck!

11. How much oil should i use for 21 g of mids, im gonna make a batch 2moro and i was gonna just make cannabutter but would oil be easier and more effective? Some how i think so, how much oil should i use if i wanted to change the recipe to oil?

12. if you're making brownies..this is what i do.

get an ounce of some reggies. my dealer and i had this deal sorta thing where he would sell me an ounce of shake for dirt cheap (which would come from him breaking up his 1-2 pound bricks to more manageable amounts).. and i cook that into however much oil the recipe says. i don't really remember. between 1-2 cups. the only thing that i do differently from making regular brownies, is that i make the oil into weed oil.

there are recipes/guidelines all over the internet. i simmer the weed into the oil for like 25-28 minutes if i remember correctly. the brownies will taste almost identical to normal brownies. you can't taste the weed at all. and they work amazingly well!

good luck, dawg

13. it's so weird, i've seen canna-butter recipes that say to simmer it anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 or 5 hours. I personally thought simmering it for 5 hours would kill the thc, but they were definitely the best brownies i've ever had. knocked me on my ass every time.. and we would only use like a quad of mids for each batch...and we used a bit more butter than the recipe called for, so the powdered sugar on top turned green. I imagine doing it that way one could easily fuck it up if it was simmering on too high a temp.

14. Tricks to eliminate nasty taste...

1) Keep buds in larger pieces instead of grinding to a pulp
    2)Use high quality herb
    3)Be very carefull about stems and seeds (you want none)
    4)Use water with the butter.
    5)Clean your butter when done. Throw it in a blender with some ice, when done put in fridge to seperate.
    6)Make hash or concentrate first, then use that for your butter.

15. ^ every time I've made brownies, I've ground up the bud, used regs, kept the stems and seeds in, and used oil.

I strain all the bud, stems, and seeds out of the oil after I'm done simmering the bud in it..therefore, don't gotta worry about keeping buds intact and picking out the sticks and seeds, cuz they're getting strained out anyway.

16. ^----

The Original thread was how to reduce the pot taste not how to make brownies.
    The seeds/stems contain large amounts of falvinids and terpenes which contribute to the taste.

17. oh ya i forgot the most important part of that post lol..

they never taste like weed. they taste like delicious chocolate brownies!