Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making ABV coco oil in a mason jar?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Creed Bratton, Nov 18, 2017.

1. just wanted to throw this out there to hear some opinions before I go for it. So I have around 1 ounce of ABV that I want to make some snickerdoodles with, but recently I moved and this new location wouldn't be as welcoming to the smell of a crock pot full of ABV. So what I want to do is put the ABV and the proper amount of coconut oil in a mason jar, add enough water so that everything is moist, then what I want to do is get a tall pot, lay a hand towel on the bottom, fill it with a couple inches of water, then let the jar steam for a few hours, shaking it every 30 minutes or so.

Since there will be extra water in the jar because there's so much abv, would the jar potentially break from the pressure the water creates inside it from the near-boiling point environment? It wouldn't be a lot of water, mind you, maybe 1/2-3/4 cup or so? I would do it without adding extra water if it were just bud, but since it's a big pile of abv it needs more moisture to be able to infuse well. But if this were to work, how long should it simmer for, knowing that temps will be around 200F?

Anyone have experience or ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Or has anyone ever tried doing this inside 2 layers of ziplock bags instead of a jar?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I tell you, mate, I would blast that AVB to concentrate the goodness in a smaller package. Then I would decarb the oil until there was no more reaction/bubbling then mix with cooking oil. You're right- an ounce of AVB is going to be difficult to mix into 3/4 cup of oil. There are different opinions about whether AVB is fully decarbed in the vaping process. I guess it depends on how far you vape it. One other option is to make an Everclear tincture- see Another Tincture thread for directions. I'm not sure of your mason jar idea. I don't think the jar would break- they are made to use that way- but I don't know how well that procedure would work. The problem is all of these methods, except for yours, will cause a distinct odor, and I'm not sure yours would work well. Hopefully an expert will come by and I'll keep thinking. Good luck.

4. #4 Joker1121, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    How to Decarboxylate Cannabis and Make Better Edibles - Culture | MERRY JANE
    " Another method that is a bit more intensive, but also quite popular amongst cannabis chefs, is the boiler method. For this, you must place the cannabis in a vacuum-sealed boiling bag. Then, you must submerge the cannabis-filled bag into boiling water for about 90 minutes, ensuring that the water does not evaporate from the high temperature. After 90 minutes, the bag is removed from the water and cooled before opening. Like the oven method, you should be sure to moderate the temperature throughout the process (which should be at around 212 degrees Fahrenheit for the boiling water bath). This method can also be performed with a hot oil bath, but at higher temperatures (250 degrees) and until the bubbles begin to taper off. "
    Here is a link and some directions I found. I don't know that the vacuumed sealed bag would be necessary, but an oven type bag would be preferable (like the kind you cook turkeys in). You still have the same problem of so much AVB to liquid ratio, and cannabis in oil takes longer to decarb.
    You can blast into a jar, you just need the butane and YouTube. I think this is the way I would go. Blast to oil, decarb and mix with cooking oil. Hope there are more ideas coming.

5. The simplest thing to do is to grind the abv to powder, mix into the oil of any snickerdoodle mix, and bake for as little time as possible. The state of decarb is hard to know, but most people assume it is fully decarbed.

I do this all the time with decarbed flower/trim, and it works about as well as anything else I make. I just finished a batch of betty crocker snickerdoodle cookie mix, baked into 32 mini-muffin cups, each containing 1/4 g herb baked for 10 minutes @ 350 F.

ABV is about half as strong as decarbed flower, so each gram should have about 80 mg thc.

If you want to test this method, just grind a gram of ABV to powder, mix with nut butter or nutella, and eat. Time and/or lecithin might help a little.

There is absolutely no need to make cannabutter/oil first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just ABV and Coconut oil. Don't mix water into it it'll contaminate it and make a royal mess. Water and oil don't mix and when they do it's always nasty.
    That whole freezer separating oil and water is a huge pile of shit. Don't add the fucking water in the first place.
    Mason jars vent, they are intended to vent as they heat so as to not shatter. If you screw the ring down tight enough not to vent it'll likely burst spilling your material into the water.

Place ABV inside a mostly deflated oven cooking bag. That'll give it room to expand as it heats. You need 240 F inside the bag for 40 minutes. ABV is only partly decarbed so I'd do as close to a full Monty as possible.
    Place in a 240-250 degree oven for 60 minutes. Allow to fully cool before opening bag.
    Mix decarbed ABV and a minimum of Coconut oil. Just enough to make mud with.
    Add 1/6th by volume Lecithin.(any kind)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes if under 5 tablespoons of oil-material
    For amounts of 1/2 cup or more extend heating to 60 minutes.
    Freeze till hard.
    Reheat and it's done.
    [​IMG]
    Done with hash but the steps are identical.
    [​IMG]
    5 grams hash
    2.5 teaspoons coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin
    heat 220 f for 20 min
    Freeze
    Reheat
    Done
    Makes 30 (0) caps
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1