Making a Scrog Screen

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by poland spring, Jun 12, 2010.

1. What do you use to make your scrog Screen? I've read up on a few different methods. Such as chicken wire, string, and even roofing mesh. I was looking for an efficient cost effective method. Any suggestions?

2. Check the link in my sig, my scrog is made from concrete remesh and a few 1x2s to frame it. Then hung from chains rather than sitting on a table, this way I can easily raise the screen when needed and work under it if needed without hassle. Peace

3. I used PVC pipe, PVC fittings (3 way fittings for the corners. And speaker wire. I really need to post a pic, but don't have one handy. But PVC pipe and speaker wire worked awesome, and was very cheap since i had most of it around the house.

4. #4 SouthrnSmoke, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    Any of the screen methods will work well, so long as you don't half ass it :)

I used pvc with four elbows and two shallow angled v's

My screen is rectangular, so in the middle, a put the v's in so that the screen would curve, the curve mimics the pattern of light intensity coming off a round bulb. Doing this gives you slightly more surface area under the same footprint as a flat screen. I wrapped the whole thing in chicken wire, and zip tied everything tight.

5. #5 poland spring, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010

I like your screen. The frame looks good, but isn't your re mesh to big? It looks like its 8x8 (or bigger) isn't it suppose to be 2x2? What did the re mesh cost you and did you find it a Lowes or home Depot? I only ask because I've been looking for a while now and every time I go into either store the look at me like i just asked for plutonium... Also what type of light are you using?

6. I'll be trying ~3'' plastic trellis material when I make my first, but I'm pretty interested to know how to make the frame.

7. #7 LBH, Jun 13, 2010
    I use a 2x4 frame and eye hooks. Lace it with string or twine,...tight.

I hold mine up with 2 curtain rods. You can see the white rod in the rear, holding the screen up. This allows you to adjust it for each grow and there are no legs in the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

strung up

[​IMG]

I've used all kinds of materials and found this set up to be best.

Twine,...the stray hairs end up in your bud.

Fishing line (pics 1-2)- can and has cut arms/leaves,...almost too "sharp"

Chicken wire-TERRIBLE!! Most plants end up having to be cut out of the screen. Sharp edges, ...just an overall pain in the ass.

Plastic trellis-works fine

I've found 2.5" squares work best.

8. Thanks for the informative reply. I'm looking at an outdoor Scrog, but maybe not just yet, as the plants will need to be fairly self reliant until I can get somewhere that's more secure and accessable to care for them.

9. For an outdoor scrog, try and find some fishing net (from a trawler preferably)(Easier said than done but I'm in New England, it's around....)

It's durable,...green,...and it helps break up the limey color that the cops spot from above

10. Nice! Is the frame in the 3rd picture set up the same as in pictures 1 and 2?

11. I get a roll of chicken wire from home depot, then use zip ties to connect it to the 4 corners of the tent.

That way I can move it up and down, and when it's time to harvest I just cut the screen out from around the plant and use a new piece next time.

Costs me about $3, takes about 45 seconds to install.

12. lol it's supposed to be whatever you want it to be. Mine is actually about 4x4 and is a bit bigger than a traditional scrog but after years of trying all types of screens, nets, you name it, this one performs best, for me. I moved away fro mthe pvc tables because they were just to flimsy so I went with a wood frame to be sturdier. I got it a home depot in the building materials section right next to the weapons-grade uranium lol. I have it under a 1000W HPS and two 216W t-5 units. Peace

13. #13 LBH, Jun 13, 2010
    Yes. There are 2 screens in that closet. Check 'em out in vid below

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZWc_B2KDc]YouTube - canncollege_0003.wmv[/ame]

Probably the worst thing I've used and I've tried just about everything. Seriously, try some of the other methods, you'll be pretty pleased at how much easier they are.

14. #14 BadAxe, Jun 13, 2010
    Ok, Here is mine. As previously mentioned, I made it out of PVC pipe and speaker wire. The screen cost me about $8 to make. Not too bad for my first one. Now I am confused as hell about how to line the branches up as pull them back under. lol. The White Widow is SO bushy it looks like it is going to take up the whole screen and its not even in 12/12 yet. That starts tonight. But this is my first scrog, so I will learn from this one.

Attached Files:

15. I like that design quick cheap and effective

16. mine is made from hemp rope

17. #17 Sam87, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    I used 1" sch40 PVC, with plain elbow connecters for the frame. Then, I used a plastic fence product. Quik fence, or something, it'll be outdoors at your local Lowes/HD. Tensioned everything out with zip ties, and it's a nice setup.

The plastic fencing is pricey though, in the sense that you have to buy a whole roll, at $15-$20. I was getting enough for 3 4x4 screens, so it was cost effective for me, but if you're doing something smaller, you might look into just stringing one up with some wire/cord.

EDIT: Wow, mega bump there.

18. 4" PVC Clamps @ $.50 each

[​IMG]

19. I'm currently using 2"x2" plastic fencing that I have liked quite a bit over the metal fencing and plastic coated metal fencing.

Make sure your holes are symmetric, I also like the flexibility of the plastic fence. IT is also a very economical option.

It is secured to my SCROG frames by zip tie's

20. It ultimately comes down to what you prefer, and your construction abilities. One thing to remember if using wire/fishing line is to make sure the line is thick enough so as not to cut the plants, like LBH said. Plants are stronger than you think, so if using fishing line, think of fishing for blue cats, not sunfish. haha :)