Making a cabinet in woodshop..

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Checkered Haze, Oct 2, 2013.

1. #1 Checkered Haze, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
    I started taking woodshop this year, and since the instructor said we could undertake any project as long as we pay for the wood (obviously). The dimensions I will be using are 3x3x6. What kind of excuse or fake project reason should I give him if he asks me what I'm trying to make? Im going to have to make sure it's airtight (minus the ventilation after) and probably some sort of doors with padlocks.

Also what kind of fans should I get? I will be using a 400w HPS/MH and vented hood to grow.

Thanks

PS - Is this space big enough for 4 plants to reach the max height in this cab (minus the pot size and space between lights)?

2. You can say it's for anything. Tell him it's a gun case or something.

But the fact that you're in woodshop only makes me think that you're still in highschool. Are the padlocks to keep the 'rents out of your grow? 

3. Yeah I figured Id just have to "wing" the questions if they come at all. Would padlocks keep the cabinet doors closer together (airtight)? Thats the concern I have (smell). I wouldve put plastice "tent" material with a zipper for simplicity but a more professional looking cab (even though I wont show it to anyone) is probably better. But the locks to keep people out wouldnt hurt. :)

4. You're going to need a carbon filter. Making it airtight won't make the smell go away. 

A padlock on a giant cabinet with vents coming out of it is going to be incredibly obvious my friend. 

I'm going to suggest taking a huge step back and considering the big picture. If you aren't growing in a place you pay for, don't grow. If there's going to be frequent foot traffic, don't grow either. 

5. Yeah, thats why I put minus ventilation after, still need to research that though. Im not paying rent but Im living alone in a house my dad owns so I just have to pay for utilities, it's all gucci lol

6. The light issue shouldn't be a huge problem. Some duct tape and construction plastic from Lowes goes a long way. For doors just make an overhang so when you close them, it over laps and seals out light. 

As for fans, I'd go with a 4" inline fan. With a 400 watter in there, I'd suggest a cool tube or sealed hood. 

I'd suck air from inside the cabinet through the hood, through the fan and push it through the carbon filter. Since you shouldn't waste room on the inside for that, stick it on the outside. 

7. Ok Ill think about the plastic to seal it better.. I guess Ill also look for a hood like that :eek: Is one of those the same thing as a "vented hood"? Im picking up the light fixture/lights on saturday and it's "vented". <-- Don't know what that consists of, though.

Ok yeah, thanks I left a bit of space at the top (~8ft ceiling), but I guess the real magic will be the wiring and how I set-up the ventilation.

About how high do you think I could get the plants using LST with adequate light penetration?

Also will 3gal. 10.5" (rim) 10" (height) pots be good or bigger?