make your own herb grinder!

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by GreenDazed42, Oct 18, 2003.

1. funny im just now spotting this thread... i'm designing a grinder at this moment... just figuring pin placment...

2. Funny thing, I was gonna make a grinder too. I was thinking turned aluminum with staggered rings of 3/16" steel capscrews in it, and a 1/16" spacing between them. I was gonna try to anodize it, too. Never got around to it, but maybe someday...

3. do you have a metal lathe? i've been meaning to get just one of those small 7 x 10 lathes for like $400... but i keep putting it off.... i have a small wood lathe, so i might try to make a wood one, out of a fine peice of african blackwood ,blood wood, basswood, cocobolo, or snake wood... gotta find the exotic wood dealers phone number now:D

4. I don't have a lathe at home, but I've been saving up for a $1300 10" X 18" toolroom lathe. Until I get that, I do all my machining on a manual lathe at work. I work at the GE Riverworks plant, machining parts fot jet engines on a CNC VTL, so I have to make do with all the heavy production tooling we have, or whatever I can scrounge, but I do alright somehow.

Actually, my home shop it pretty limited right now. I don't have much space because it's stuffed in the back corner of my garage. All I've got for machinery is a 12" drill press with a good set of drills, mills, reamers, taps and countersinks. And a 225 amp stick welder, if you'd call that machinery. Most of the work I do right now is real rough metal fabrication, though I've always wanted to have some real machine tools of my own.

What about you, though? What kinds of work do you like to do, and what do you have for a shop?

5. just shake it when you have less weed in the grinder. it works for me, but dont chop it more than a couple times cuz it turns to dust quick

6. i just smoke the bud it self but if its a really long thing of bunf hen i'll cut it up into a few smaller sections but i dont grind it up or cut it up normally

7. i got a wood grinder off ebay for $6.50 shipped. best investment ever. my joints burn more even now. ive yet to grind stuff up and put it in my bowl, though.

8. I kind of like packing bowls with grinded herb. I used to buy halfs and just grind it all up right when I got it. Then if I needed to roll a blunt, it was easy. Or, I could just stick my bowl into the bag, and viola, a packed bowl. Burns mad nicely too. :)

9. lol i can picture me doing that and accidently leaving some weed and kief in there, and my dad making coffee the next day. "hmm, this coffee has quite the kick. i'm pretty sure that this ain't no espresso.":D

10. use a magic bullet!
    they make the best smoothies ever, but thats besides the point.

or a coffee grinder i guessssss.

11. I normally use my hands but you can use a pill bottle/film canister with a penny and a nickle in it and shake it with the bud in it. Just dump out your grinded weed after and keif will build up along the walls too that you can scrape off later on.

12. C'mon people.

Grinders are used to keep most the THC particles intact, whereas your fingers can very easily destroy the trichromes on the bud.

Use scissors and a shotglass

13. [​IMG]

14. Thats why you tap the button and gently shake it up and down.

15. ERM, Grinders rip trichs of the buds.

Use some common sense :wave:

16. me and my brother bought a magic bullet for breaking up alot for the hookah.

17. Ground up bud burns faster in a bowl than just breaking up the bud normally......but whatever floats your boat :smoking:

Thats what I do when I need some ground up bud for a j, and it's fun shakin that thing haha. But I still prefer breaking it up with my hands, something about touching the weed I'm about to smoke makes my mouth water :yummy:

18. I knew a guy once that would break it up in a whopper chopper but that'd only work if you had nice seedless stuff

19. a cheese grater works great, or a strainer for less sticky weed.

20. Do your coffee end up giving you a buzz?
    If so guess its time for me to start grinding up bud and coffee =]