Make Your Own EM (Lacto Bacillius)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by howmanymoreyrs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Wow very interesting. I am making lactic acid using gil C's method with distilled water. This has me thinking maybe distilled isn't the best option for growing bacteria..

2. Guys, just wanted to pass on that I got my first LAB going at home. My wife called to say that it is looking just how it should after the transformed rice wash was introduced to the milk. Only problem, I mixed the inoculated rice wash 20:1 with milk instead of 10:1. Instead of throwing it out, however, I let it ride and it still came out marvelously. My wife is removing the "cheese" from the top and saving the good stuff for me in the fridge. Can't wait to use it on everything!! I am going to spray everything I put compost and EWC's on in my yard and do the "girls in the tent", also. I also just got my tomatoes, peppers, flowers, etc. put up in pots in the yard and they will get a dose as well. Peace, guys and girls.

JaK

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Hey,
    I have a 2 week old bamboo shoot ferment and it smells off the chart bad... the good kind of like nettle or comfrey bad.
    Not alcoholic... just nasty.
    Now what?
    I am also holding good lacto solutions but have not sprayed the girls.... just an ewc/agave 36 hr tea. The second act applied 7 days into flowering.
    Next water I will apply to soil same act:

I am unclear ... I should add Neptunes fish hydrosylate in the beginning of the brew to be 36 hr and a only small amount 1 tsp / ga

Meanwhile the only time I sprayed lacto was when mixing soil months ago. Now with 1 week into flower I don't want to spray plants with it.. esp after a good act is applied.
    So is it a mistake to foliar feed up to 5 weeks in flower?
    How many weeks into flower can I still foliar spray the botanicals. Or can I foliar feed later into flowering as long as there's good air flow and light to dry out wet foliage?

The kelp is ok to feed tea along with when I water soil with final ACT?
    ?

4. So I've inoculated some bran with my homemade EM and its been sitting for about 2 months. I haven't used it yet cause I was a little worried that this green mold shouldn't be there... photo(8).JPG Can any DIY bokashi makers tell me if I'm in the clear or not?

5. Ganja I don't think that is a good sign. I think it is pretty much ruined from what i have read on different sites. Green and blue molds are a sign of putrefaction. That suck bad. I don't know if this helps but after the initial fermentation I dried mine in the sun to remove as much excess moisture as I could before long term storage.

6. Bummer! Guess I'll have to try one more time!

7. Man! I cant believe that this thread has been untouched for so long! I read all the way from the start and had alot of questions answered that I was gonna ask:hello:.

MM (or anyone who can answer) can you please expound a bit more on how to harness PNSBs using pond water mud? Can I get the same benefit using river mud...only difference I can see here would be moving water as opposed to stagnat...correct? How would I be able to introduce this to my lacto serum and how much would I need in order to get the job done?

Thanks in advance!

8. I'm glad to see this thread dragged out of the closet - its a great, informatIve thread and I had forgotten about it!

Thanks

Jerry

9. Read the article I linked;

</H3>

10. Here is my EM with PNSBs after a 60 day ferment.

[​IMG]

11. MM,
    As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I wont lie and tell you that I understood all that was in the articles you linked but I did understand a good deal of it (I think). The video helped out a great deal.

Forgive me for being a bit slow here but I missed the part explaining how you were able to extract the PNSBs and add them to your EM? I understand the process of making the column and it seems easy enough but is this the way that I would harness them for further use in an EM?

My overall goal is make an EM that I could turn around and use in a bokashi bran mix. I already have some LAB that I made before and I understand that it would work in a mix but I also read that PNSBs are very efficient in the bokashi process also. I realize that I could go out and just purchase the EM but the process of making this is getting kind of fun to me:). I also have a plate of rice in my worm bin for collecting IMOs...right now the rice has a layer of white and green fungus growing on it so I think that its working...at least according a video I saw on youtube for how to do it.

Once the incubation process in the column is complete for the PNSBs would I have to keep the serum in a place with light during storage? I read that exposure to light can kill some of the beneficial bacteria but in this case, the PNSBs need light:confused:...so am I scarificing some bacteria for others in this case? Im confused...

I hope this makes sense?

12. If you read some of my other comments in this thread you might pick up that I'm not optimistic that a true EM can be made easily. I did not extract the PNSBs I just encouraged their growth via fermentation with light. I purchased the EM stock with PNSBs in it. If you wish to grow your own PNSBs I can only suggest that you go through the steps outlined in the links I provided.

13. Okay, I misunderstood but Im tracking now. I saw what you were saying about the subject but I thought that perhaps you had found a relatively easy way to harness them. I realize that the simple way would be to purchase a bottle of EM-1 and get on with it but I was just messing around for the sake of experimentation.

14. There is nothing wrong with experimenting. Try it.

15. Im going to start putting things together next week. I ordered a bottle of EM-1 today and here is my plan.

I will get a bokashi mix going with the EM-1 and also another with just the Lacto that I made and see how things play out. I dont know that I will get a visual difference and I might not even be able ot tell a noticable difference until I plant some veggies in the finished compost once it goes into the ground. Im also considering the addition of IMOs into the "lacto bokashi" mix. The rice that I placed into my worm bin over a week ago is now covered in a green fungus. As I understand it, the color does not have to be white since black fungus is the one we dont want. I plan to ferment that with brown sugar and let it cultivate, then I will dilute and add along with the lacto b to the wheat bran.

My logic is that:

1. If this mix works for me, then I wont have to purchase another bottle of EM-1 later on down the line.

2. In natural farming techniques, this method has been working for them for such a long time...somewhow they must be incorporating an adequate amount of beneficial micros? My worm bin may not be as diverse in regard to micro types as some of the methods used in the traditional sense but it should be a start.

Any thoughts?

16. I've been working on culturing my own BIM using Gil Carandang's method, and though my memory is foggy, this is approximately day 5 or 6. The first time I tried this, I did something incorrectly and wound up with some pretty nasty stuff, but this is round 2. Am I ready to strain and add the milk or do I need to let it grow some more? (The culture has been sitting in a relatively dark area, not in the tent. This was just for the photo.)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• img.png
      img.png
      File size:
      373.2 KB
      Views:
  17. damn, ima be making me some of that stuff very soon :D

Thanks

18. That how mine looked after 5 days but I let it go for 7 before I extracted it and added the milk. Once you get the separation, its ready (as I understand it).