Make Your Own EM (Lacto Bacillius)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by howmanymoreyrs, Aug 17, 2010.

1. #61 LumperDawgz2, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
    Irie67

Yeah and I caused the confusion - let me clarify.

EM-1 is a mother culture

Gil's lacto serum is a mother culture

You buy or create these to do 'something' with them like making bokashi bran which is a popular use so I'll use that to explain my earlier post.

To make bokashi bran you pick a carrier agent like rice bran (you can use a slew of others) and to that you can add any number of things to enhance the finished bokashi bran like rock dusts, alfalfa meal, neem meal, kelp meal, coconut meat (copra), fish meal, et al. and most recipes call for some kind of carbohydrate - Gil uses a lot of palm sugar (very raw - minimally processed) and most of the EM-1 recipes use molasses - whatever.

When you assemble the mother culture, the carrier and the amendments, at this point if you add outside lacto cultures from products like I mentioned (and there are a ton of others), then you'll end up with a bokashi bran with a far wider range of strains vs. using straight-up EM-1.

The big one is fermented bamboo shoots (mesu in Nepal and Notherern India) which brings 352 different lacto strains to the party. Bamboo material in general like leaves and especially the shoots are loaded with enzymes, amino acids and minerals - just adding this fresh to the bokashi bran fermenting cycle is a huge benefit.

I hope I cleared up your confusion.

LD

2. Yes. cleared it up well. Thank You. I will be looking more into the bokashi process soon. I do have bamboo available. lucky me

3. im on day 5 of the rice wash fermenting and im thinking about straining it and adding milk today. I have a couple of questions though just to make sure I have done this right so far. After a day or so it looked like a lot of the rice material in the water sunk to the bottom and has stayed there. i feel like its normal but no one has said anything so just being on the safe side.

I do have a white film on top of the wash so im pretty sure i have collected some bacteria, but i havent been able to find any pictures of this process online except for the one posted on the first page of this thread with the milk stage (which is a big help). The white film showed up after 2 days or so and hasnt gotten much thicker.

So my second question is how much of a film do you usually wait for till you strain and add milk. I know its not going to be like the floating milk at the end but it will be bigger than a small film? thanks for any help

4. thanks Irie that video helps a lot. After watching I think im gunna let it ferment for a little longer im not sure if I had enough air flow through the lid.

5. I'm going over to my friends house today out in the sticks to help him build some raised beds, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some bamboo plants around his place...I was thinking of fermenting some when my lacto serum is finished. I think I read somewhere that fermented bamboo shoots can be added to a worm bin... is that true?

6. [quote name='"Ganjagoonie"']I'm going over to my friends house today out in the sticks to help him build some raised beds, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some bamboo plants around his place...I was thinking of fermenting some when my lacto serum is finished. I think I read somewhere that fermented bamboo shoots can be added to a worm bin... is that true?[/quote]

Yep

LD raves about it.

7. Thanks! My serum looks like its ready to use already but its only on day 3 with the milk... Should I let it sit for a couple more days to be on the safe side? Heres a pic.
    photo(6).JPG

I can't wait to get some bokashi going for my worm bin!

8. Ganja,
    Mine looked the same as yours does at day 3, I let it go for 7 days total and it firmed up more then day 3. It was actually today that I strained my solids off and added 1 tsp of molasses and put it in the fridge for long term storage. I used this guys recipe (link below). This recipe make around 88 fluid ounces.I made two batches one with city tap water (chlorinated) rice wash and one with distilled water. I will make a batch of Bokashi bran tomorrow with my new serum, cant wait!

How to make your own EM-1

9. Cool, I'll let it go the full week then. Making this stuff is so easy it's a wonder anyone buys EM-1!

10. Yes indeed.......

11. :hide:

12. Oh I don't know...maybe these

Yeasts; with at least
    -Saccharomyces cerevisiae - facultative anaerobe

PNSBs (with some of the following)
    Rhodopseudomonas palustris facultative anaerobe- bacteria
    Rhodobacter sphaeroides
    R. capsulatus

varieties of actinobacteria not listed because of regulations

13. Do you think these are directly helpful to cannabis plants, or just in a soil microbe diversity/healthy eco system way?

14. [quote name='"Microbeman"']

Oh I don't know...maybe these

Yeasts; with at least
    -Saccharomyces cerevisiae - facultative anaerobe

PNSBs (with some of the following)
    Rhodopseudomonas palustris facultative anaerobe- bacteria
    Rhodobacter sphaeroides
    R. capsulatus

varieties of actinobacteria not listed because of regulations[/quote]

Thanks for this info MM!

Is it possible I have a few of these colonies in my homemade culture as well? It seems likely to me from what I just read about them, but I would trust your opinion over my own.

15. gooie ganga, there is some tale from china that swuggests the bamboo roots might also be useful for the microbes... and useful for plants next to it

16. To Wee droid: What makes you think LABs are specific to cannabis if indeed you do? I am only talking about the microbes in a certain consortium.

Ganjagoonie, Maybe depending on your starter material, temperature, length of ferment, etc. Not likely to have PNSBs using Gil's method

17. Sorry, brain gas emission. :hide:

I was thinking soil microbes.

18. MM,

I've heard using pond water during an algae bloom will bring some PNSB's to the party in a BIM EM serum. Have you ever heard this?

chunk

19. If it were me, I'd use pond mud. Algae would be more likely to contain cyanobacteria and perhaps green sulphur bacteria. Because of the PNSBs in EM cultures, I always use light in my incubator/fermentor. It is really the magic microbe in EM cultures and as I've stated previously, I seem to have noticed a decline in the cultures in recent years. It is possible this may be due to the testing parameters (SCD) which from what I've seen, state proprietory method and 'presence' rather than numbers or volume per volume (units) [pdf attached]

Bacteriology 102 - Purple Non-Sulfur Photosynthetic Bacteria

I would post a photo of my finished AEM but have not figured out how to post photos here yet.

Attached Files: