Make The World A Better Place

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by NorseMythology, Feb 12, 2016.

1. What can we do to improve our world, things that an individual can do?

We can try to change the world but it's probably most effective to first change and improve ourselves. What can we do to be better? Or in reverse, what are some things other do that they may not realize brings you down?

Anything that makes you happier, more positive, kinder etc?

Lately I have been trying to just change my negative thoughts toward others. I want to feel sympathy and empathy toward some people instead of thinking negatively about them. I want to keep improving to do my part in making this world a better place to exist.

I appreciate any and all (serious) replies.

2. There are literally so many statements, affirmations, or sayings you can tell yourself that are of such benefit when you persist in believing them. It helps correlating them to certain chakras. For example, a big one, gratitude. Just be grateful, grateful for this planet, grateful for the folks that you can play with here, grateful for having a body, a soul, a life, a place to call home, grateful for all you have done so far in life. Literally anything you can be grateful for. This mainly corresponds to the heart, and lower chakras I'd say. If you have your basic needs taken care of with relative ease, with some people or atleast one to love...you, in my eyes, ought to be happy. You gotta walk a mile for 2 gallons of water? No, good. You just turn a switch and light comes on? Nice. You have a job, and a home, and are aware of what your subconscious is telling you? Proper.

You should have hobbies, actively trying to make yourself better at said hobbies or anything in life you choose to consciously become better at. I took up the piano nearly two months ago just for the fuck of it, always wanted to learn an instrument, have the time and such. I feel practicing daily rather than a lot in one session is best, and it's been good and fun and rewarding. Whatever it Is, at whatever time, do it 100%. Give someone your full attention, don't be mindfucking yourself during remedial tasks.

I know there's a conscious and a subconscious part of us. We are told this, yet never instructed how to go about molding It to our liking. This is all you're really looking to do, and it only ever Involves your ability to be aware. To see it come, see it go, never holding onto the feelings m enjoying them for what they are at that moment, knowing and having that solidity in yourself to not need anyone and go about your life unapologetically in a way that's helpful......that's all we're talking about here....lol

3. Essentially, living in the present moment and absorbing it and appreciating it for what that moment is?

4. When you replace negative thoughts with positive ones you start having positive results..

Be nice to people, even be nice to people you don't agree with. Everyone is fighting their own battles that we have no idea of. It's pretty simple, be the person you would want to be friends with.

Spend your time doing things you enjoy. Spend time with friends and people you love. laugh, have fun, don't take shit too seriously. At the same time have ambitions and goals. Spread good vibes. Handle stress with a grain of salt. Be happy.

5. Making the world a better place means starting with yourself. Be the person you want to see more of in the world.

Don't take life too seriously, smile, and make a difference in any way you can.

6. One thing that always peeved me was when someone does something nice and expects a return. It's a narcissistic trait.. which isn't exactly bad, but if people did things without expecting something in return, it'd help a lot on general. I'm far from perfect.. but whenever I do something for someone, getting something in return rarely crosses my mind.

A lot of it does have to do with bettering yourself and setting an example while not trying to force others into it. If you just do what you do, you'll naturally have other people see it and help inspire them to follow. Monkey see, monkey do basically. If you try to force it on them, there is a good chance that they'll naturally want to do the complete opposite.. so you have to let it get into their head and have them think that it was their choice.

Personally, I think a lot of negative things about people.. I just don't follow those negative thoughts as much. I don't think negative thoughts are a problem.. just giving into them. Hell.. if I gave into my negative thoughts, I've probably have murdered and raped people and be sitting in prison.. but most people who meet me think I'm super nice. I don't know how many people have assumed that I was an actual Christian, not like a fake one, but a real one who follows the word of Christ with how I treat people. If I gave into my negative thoughts, I'd probably have bitten their face off when they said that.

7. You look so, so much like someone i used to know

8. I am very nice to people and have friendly relations with people everywhere I frequent.

Seems like I could be doing more to affect positive change at least in the small way one person can. All I can hope for is a cascade effect.

9. #9 dannyszu, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016

As a youth/society in these times we've sorta been bombarded by the notion of living in the moment. It's become so common it's meaning and effect is lost with the sarcasm/overuse of it. However, it will always remain what it is.

Feel rather than think, don't think about those feelings you get. Feel all the time, how are the soles of my feet rn? How's my stomach area been, whys it grumbling, go deeper into the feeling without the mind, no judgment of its thoughts about the feeling, no up, no down.

Luckily we die and you are safe in knowing change is imminent lol

Edit: I used to be hard on myself and sounds like you might be seeing as how you feel you lighten up people rather than trudge along. Results aren't always immediate, the best things take time. That's why oral is so good :)

10. help someone

🐜

11. Smile and the world will smile back at you. :)

Whenever i am going to town to skull a few pints of creamy porter I roll a joint to bring with me. Then when I come across someone down on their luck begging on the street i stop up to have a chat and give them the J to lift the gloom for a while.

They really appreciate it, I imagine it makes sitting on a cold street that little bit more bearable.

The small things you do for other people make all the difference.

This advertisement was paid for by the US government "God Bless America"

12. I've been working on myself a lot through meditation, trying to find the true me and my purpose for this current existence I've been feeling like I've been called to be more "hands on." Travel, spread awareness, try to be a patriot for human rights in all countries. Make it so that businesses that exploit humans and take their rights away no longer thrive. I want to be a whistleblower, basically. I feel doing anything possible to bring a better life for these people is reasonable, even if it puts me in situations that might cost me my own.

13. That, in my opinion, is the mentality more of us should embody. That is, the willingness to potentially sacrifice ones life to aid those who are going through hell on earth.

There are so many different roles we can play, I praise anyone who takes one upon oneself.

Thank you!

14. Instinctively, I'd take a bullet, but there is only so much I can and will do for someone going through it. I think it is a lot easier to die on behalf of someone or something, than it is to live, to make change with them.

I think it is great to do your best to put out a good vibe, but since the vibe is based on someone elses POV or perception, it can sometimes be a little cultish to make a good vibe, a requirement or social contract.. I think just doing your best to be a good human is the best you can do.. I think part of being a good human may be realizing the positive and negative in everything, and learning to be both understanding of it, and in being able to articulate it in an open manner so others can understand

15. I think it is great you have such a respect and honor for another humans existence that you would do your best in your manner to express that.

Kudo's there is a human here...!

16. I mostly agree with what you say, but where I disagree, I think doing your best to be a good human being is the LEAST we should be doing.

Which actually leads me to another thought. This is not a carefully considered thought, I am just going to type what I'm thinking.

Shouldn't a good person be someone that lights up a room, in a sense. Not someone who basks in attention, but someone that people are drawn to? When i see angry, depressed, negative people, I find them repulsive. Not in a judgemental way, but as in the opposite of attractive. For the goodness we want to spread, we have to radiate in a palpable way, infecting and affecting others. I see what you described as more passive, which there is nothing wrong with that at all, but again, I think it's the LEAST we could do.

I am not criticising you btw, for the most part I am passive but in some ways I try to be more affective and positive. Which, the reason for this thread is to find way I can be more so.

17. That first line is very similar to a Persian proverb, which is my tattoo

18. Shouldn't we be spreading our good vibes to the negative peeps especially?

I never thought about this topic much until I got pregnant and became a mother to two freaking amazing kids. To me making the world a better place means turning out kids that are thoughtful, polite, smart, compassionate. Hardest job I've ever dreamed of, trying to get little shits to do the right thing in the end, always teaching them, constant supervision. They tell you they hate you too...All you can do is keep that goal in mind, they will be good people.

19. Yes we should be spreading the vibes to the negative people!

I won't be having kids but I can only imagine the thought and reflection it would require. Good post!