Make Something Happen in Florida

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by russtang06gt, Apr 21, 2010.

1. #1 russtang06gt, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
    Hey fellow blades,
    I have been living in Florida all my life and specifically Central Florida and I would really like to hope and see that mary jane be decriminilizaed and legal much like Cali bud is in the state of Florida. I am a very well educated person as well as my father (a extremely successful business man and proprietor). I was caught with paraphenelia back in the beginning of this year and am going through the b/s that many of you may have probably gone through in the corrupt and discriminated justice system of being a pot smoker ("user" as the lovely goven't likes to describe us). I am going to school for finance and am looking at a very promising career and future, but at the same time, all of this discriminating crap against pot and my pastime besides drinking keeps on receiving less and less attention unfortunatly. I am tired of the law enforcement here and how things are regulated and handled in florida. Recently my neighbor and family friend was put into prison cause of possesion of 600+lbs of marijuana and made national news cause of this (search Chris South or Seminole Country Drug Bust 600lbs of Marijuana). He and his family were apart of my local community for many years and actually supported many local businesses and people including my father, and am deeply upset by the reprimand he has received from this. I know many people are hoping and trying to change their views on marijuana but we need all to do it together. I will always support and believe in marijuana and it's benefits but I have also come under the fire of the government in florida and been prosecuted like many others. If we plan on this great freedom to become decriminalized and legal in the states in the years to come we have to be flexible and be willing to create that same system that alchohol holds in this country and the rest of the world.
    I am only one person and i'm sorry for the long read but I'm just fed up with being disrespected as a citizen and person to keep on experiencing the same shit that many of you have felt for years. Let's work on this problem with the government together and try to come up with a solution as diplomatic and reasonable that we can instead of declaring "let's get high", "smoke up", etc... The only way people are going to listen to us is if we can provide not only a educational standpoint but a political view as well as to why things should change and what should be implemented to change them.
    I know this is a long read and extremely controversial on some circumstances but we have to voice our views in the best and most politically correct possible view. Together we should fight.

2. Absolutely!!!

I am in Florida and supposedly there is a strong push for it to be legal via medicinal purposes in 2010!

We need this. I have a public career and cant afford to be in "trouble". Marijuana helps me with sleep and stress big time.

We need this to happen this year.

3. oh my god our law system here is so bad-_-

smoke a joint and to the police you may have raped thier grandma and shot thier dog.

i dont hate on all police.
    but police in my county are notrious for discrimanation based on long hair and such and will search you with no evidence

4. Honestly, if there's a hopeless fight its marijuana in Florida. The mindset of the people in this state is SO behind the rest of the country when it comes to weed, it may seem blunt but there are too many rich, conservative older people that have retired here for there to be a serious push in the near future. Even in Miami, the attitude towards weed by officials and law enforcement is horrible, my friend spend a week in jail being detained for 2 grams and now has a criminal record because of it. It's to the point where I don't want to even deal with my backward ass state.

Sorry for the negativity, but honestly the state Florida is in just frustrates me way too much.

5. i agree we have to push for the legalization of it more, but honestly i think its never going to happen here in Florida, cant wait to move to Cali :rolleyes:

6. #6 Luma, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010

I am a rich conservative. But I still want my weed.

You have to understand, there are ALOT of rich conservative white kids in this state that are way bigger potheads than me. Problem is they dont say anything about legalization or even care for that matter. They are used to getting what they want whenever so it doesnt matter to them. I for one worked for my success and I want my weed! There are plenty here who will support the new laws. They just dont say anything is the issue.

Foor christ sake I met a couple on the beach one night. The husband was a Brain Surgeon and the wife was a pharmacist. The smoke allllll the time they were saying and they just dont tell anybody about it minus the few very close friends. This is proof we are in the numbers. It's just the fact that saying "yes I am a surgeon, doctor, therapist, wealth manager in my case, and I smoke marijuana." Today, it looks bad. But we can change that outlook by speaking up here.

What is needed is positive media coverage on the issue this year. Lots of it. Once people see that it is an actual issue being seriously looked at, people WILL show up to the polls and vote this thing in!

7. Well things will change it just has to be done in a diplomatic and very educated way just like in Cali and many other states. My father is a very successful business owner and with me getting in trouble with the Seminole County law enforcement he just laughed and gave me the money and said this crap needs to stop. As far as the retirees and the people in the northern part of the state they are just ignorant and don't have the education needed to know the benefits of making marijuana decriminalized and taxable. I know reform will happen for our generation (me being 23, and the next generation of american leaders) but it has to be done in the smartest way possible so as not to negatively affect our fight.

What would make the change and help Florida as a state is the tax revenue generated even from medicinal purposes would help the job market and among other things. I was the in the first way of lay-offs back in 2008 when this economy just came to a grinding halt and as far as I know it's not going to get any better any time soon.
    I'm from a successful family and know many people that are very influential in the area but again the hardest part to push people to see the benefits of marijuana is the fact of the population part that I would like to call the "idiot users". The negativity that they bring to the community is what the government focuses on as being the worst and definitly affects the other side of the argument that is for our beloved plant.

I just say that the more education we can give the public the better things will eventually get. Just going to be a long hard battle that has to be done and with perseverance will some how succeed.

I'll be on the forums now and in the future for much time to come. I have been lurking on the forum for many years and finally decided to become a part of it after going through the legal system and crap that I unfortunatly have to deal with living in Florida. I want change and I know many (all) of you do too so let's make it happen. ​

8. Agree with you completely Luma! Great argument and I as well use it for many issues that pertain to sports injuries I received in high school. I have major back issues and keeps me up at night after a long day of work so I definitly use it to help me fall asleep and keep myself rested.

9. You knowing a lot of rich conservative white KIDS that are potheads does nothing for the cause, I can find just as many poor liberal hispanic potheads that would love legalization. I said older people, people who have influence in their communities at a local, county, and state level. The overall attitude of the State is nowhere near the level it needs to be for something like medicla marijuana to be passed and there is a huge difference between introducing legislation to a state where the attitude is ahead of the laws and introducing a law which seems to be ahead of the attitude.

The reason mmj reform occurs in the states that it does is because these states already possessed a certain attitude towards marijuana. Florida is not one of those, we have the strictest drug laws in the country and are currently trying to ban glass pipes in all stores but headshops. We are regressing, and it will take a long time before we can hope to progress.

10. yeah my friends are in high school and they were skipping school, well they were just starting to skip. they got pulled over for the reasons of 3 people in the car and the cop knew it was 4/20 and pulled them over on the hunch that they were minors skipping their classes. They were less then a mile from the school when the cop pulled them over saying he smelt pot and to get out of the car and consent to a vehicular search. They refused saying there was no wasy mj was in their car or had even been smoked in there. They werent smoking but one of the guys had just 3 grams in a jar stashed away in the car. The cop called in 3 other sheriffs and then said if they didnt consent theyd get the dogs out there. They gave up at that point and conformed to the search, the cop found the shit bla bla bla. but its funny how that cop needed to pull 3 police cars from duty for a few minors skipping school and a suspiction of mj. maybe someone got away with murder or sold a key in the time that they were there. people need to idenntify the real problems and stop substituting mj for those problems

EDIT- "Anehum" nice sig bro

11. So your helping our fight for new legislation how? You are just complaining and saying it wont happen. The more people with this attitude, no wonder we never get anywhere with some changes.

12. idk if itll happen but yeah it doesnt hurt to at least keep trying, i mean whats not trying doing?...

13. Exactly. California spoke up. We can do the same. Florida just doesnt talk cuz nobody else is.

We need media coverage! We need our smokers involved!

14. sorry to break it to your bro.but if you want help get some of your "rich conservative" friends to step in to they have alot more power then common man when they come out to media.

once you guys have set the stage it makes it easier.

but like everyone is saying things are so bad here.

they wanted people for medical marijuana to get 100,000 votes on a petition.

that doesnt seem like alot.

but in the span of more then a year all they accomplished was 37,000 signatures

i would love to help get things man but first people have to talk about it

15. What can we as Floridians do to get this going? We need to organize and come up with ideas for change.

16. I live in Florida and would love to see medical Marijuana soon here.

PUFMM A Political Comittee Is the only organization that I know of trying to get medical marijuana on the November 2010 ballot.

17. Honestly the only things we can do are:
    Vote people out of office that are anti-pot
    Petition the government, but it might not get approved.

There is a petition for medical in 2010 I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if they got enough sigs and passed it by voters theres like 60% support for medical in Florida, hopefully the laws won't be too restrictive.

"THIS PROPOSED AMENDMENT IS DESIGNED TO CREATE A NEW ARTICLE I, SECTION 28 ("Right to Marijuana for Treatment Purposes") OF THE FLORIDA CONSTITUTION SO AS TO PERMIT THE CULTIVATION, PURCHASE, POSSESSION AND USE OF MARIJUANA TO TREAT ALZHEIMER’S, CACHEXIA, CANCER, CHRONIC PAIN, CHRONIC NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS, CROHN’S DISEASE, EPILEPSY AND OTHER SEIZURE DISORDERS, GLAUCOMA, HIV/AIDS, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, PARKINSON’S, DISEASES CAUSING MUSCLE SPASTICITY, OR OTHER DISEASES AND CONDITIONS WHEN RECOMMENDED BY A PHYSICIAN. "

18. If you Floridians are serious, make sure you sign and get everyone you know to sign that petition to get something on the 2010 ballot. Try and follow the ground work laid out by California, Colorado, and other medicinal cannabis states. Learn from their mistakes and accomplishments, it's your best bet folks. Good luck :)

19. Lol I wrote that in a pissed off mood, but I was just venting mainly because my friend has just gotten fucked for 2 grams and I was kind of fed up with Florida.

anyways, true like you guys say its worth at least a shot...people out there are so misinformed that something simple like a facts campaign could win over a lot of people :smoking:

20. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTM2HQ0g98"]YouTube - Bugs Bunny Cuts Florida Loose[/ame]