Make a room air tight.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GreenOranges, Aug 29, 2012.

1. What would be some of the best ways to make a room air tight?

Walls are open showing studs and drywall backs... closet size. Actually smaller than a closet... more like 36x48x48.

Thanks for any help.

2. Go to Lowes and and get 6 Mil plastic sheeting, wrap the whole room. Start with the ceiling and floor, leave about 2-3 feet on all sides so that when you go to wrap the room, it overalps the walls and ceiling/floor. Tape it off and oi la.

Understand that by doing this though, your climate is going to go out of whack and you'll have to balance it again. Leaning more towards the hot side so I'd wait till a cool part of the day to start this...every little bit helps....

3. What about foaming sprays for seams in the wood? Think it's worth it? I want complete control of the environment.

4. Are you going to put a Mini-Split AC and a dehumidifier in there?
    I'm assuming you're going to also add CO2...

With all that environment control in that tiny little space you'll hardly have room for plants. :( A 600w lamp would be ideal. The foam should work well at keeping the room mostly air tight. I don't know if you'll get 100% sealed, but you can get a solid 95% with some duct tape and foam.

5. I'm thinking of connecting a smaller line from my ac blower to the room. Then pull air out using a basic exhaust fan... outside through a carbon filter.

What do you think?

6. I think that if you're bringing air in, and pushing air out, then your room is not air tight...

As long as you have a negative pressure (larger fan pulling air out than pushing air in) there shouldn't be an issue with the smell escaping from the grow space. I can only assume this is the primary reason for sealing the room up if you're going to be exhausting and exchanging the air inside of it.

Air tightness isn't as important as light tightness. Go in that space and close the door with the lights off. Seal up any speck of light. You shouldn't have a chance at seeing your hand right in front of your face. For most people, the crack under the door, and around the frame, is the most difficult thing to block light from getting past. Weather stripping will help.

And seriously. If you can't duct it. Fuck it.

7. I framed my flower chamber, then drywalled it. Caulked the thing in on every single crack. Added panda film, over lapped it as well. spray foam around the door, and added more than ample stick foam for weather stripping. A new threshhold makes it hard to shut the door, pretty much airtight. I have a air intake though, that can be opened by the outside. When I go inside the room, and my scrubber is running, the little air intake is blowing air so hard its like a fan....but I can have people in the room not three feet from the plants and there is no smell, sound, or light...

8. i built a wall across my basement out of 2x4. i then put a dividing room within that room to have 3 rooms. 1 is actually my 'utility' room (7Wx8Lx6H), the second room is my veg room (6Wx8Lx6H), and 3rd is my bloom room (6Wx8Lx6H). i spray foamed every single place there was access to the rooms from both sides of the wall.

bloom and veg were both insulated with accoustic fibreglass insulation including the ceiling for noise reduction. i then insulated and drywalled all outer side of the walls that separate basement from grow rooms. then i ran all my electrical wires through the wall and made enough outlets for both rooms with help of a trusted electrician. we got all wiring pulled and ready to connect to plugs/outlets/timers. i then lined the two grow rooms with 6mm black and white plastic. i did the ceiling first and then left about 8" overhang all the way around so that the wall plastic would overlap. the black side really blocks out the light well from getting to and from other rooms. i stapled the plastic onto the studs in the rooms, and then used the red tuck tape (or whatever its called) to make it as air tight as possible. electrician came back and hooked everything up and mounted onto walls. i then installed both doors. 1 to veg, and then through the veg room a door to bloom room.

when i am in bloom room with no lights and shut the door i cant see a single spec of light, and that is with a 600w T5 veg light on the other side of the door/wall.

i then connected my carbon can filter to my 350CFM inline fan that pushes the air through my two 1000w HPS vented hoods and then outside nice and smell free.

when i am in the house you cant smell or hear a thing. i get great control over my temps and RH. one day i will try CO2

things are good right now in my first grow and i hope my summary of how i built my room will help you out.

check out my thread of my grow (pics). unfortunately i didnt think about documenting the construction, lol
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/1090164-week-4-chronic-strain.html#post15462904