Major Religious Texts

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Yup. So study hard, man.

2. Personally, I'm more of a fan of non-fiction.

3. yes it does

4. I think my post was pretty clear. I have no hidden intention, if that's what you're getting at.

I was simply pointing out the glaring fallacy in your earlier statement.

5. The only ones I have felt compelled to read are the Vedas and New Testament...I hold belief in neither but in only the Spirit they represent.

6. Can you explain?

7. The Vedas are extremely vast. Which books are you referring to specifically?

8. So THAT's what you were trying to say...

9. #29 TesseLated, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011

Satapatha Brahmana-(Christianity borrowed some of this)(primary txt), Laws of Maru (post Vedic), several of the Puranas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita(epics), and working through Vedanta (epic)occasionally....all very beautiful....have to be in the right frame of mind....requires a certain mood..lol

yes...extremely vast but have been working through them on/off for a long time

Ultimately, the world's religions speak of the same Spirit...the Hindu ones I find, do this best.

*Aryas are next

10. Well, this is not entirely true by a long shot, but I can let you do the research on that one. There are profound differences towards the approach to deities and supernatural spirits, ascribing wide (and often mutually exclusive) traits and abilities. This is to say nothing of the attitudes and approaches to worship and lifestyle prescriptions.

But on another level, especially when speaking of the largest religions, you are striking some truth. You can see the same thing in literature and film genres; the character archetypes are pervasive. Deities are no different.

11. Not being factitious here, but do you have a link.
    I'm interested, as I myself feel that Christianity is similar to Bhakti yoga,
    And I know some folks that would enjoy reading another cross comparison.
    Thanks
    DFG

12. I am a Western guy so I only know the Bible, but from what I can tell besides the reasonable moral stories most holy work is shit.

13. Every religion IS Bhakti Yoga. All Bhakti Yoga is is having a devotional love towards God, there is no Yoga without Bhakti.

14. #34 TesseLated, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011

This is where you can read them..the website is comprehensive on all manner of religions

Sacred-Texts: Satapatha Brahmana :smoke:

*Also of interest to you in comparing:

Zoroastrianism
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/zor/index.htm

15. Thanks, and I agree. I didn't mean to imply otherwise by only using the specific examples within the quote. What you are saying is true to me 100%.
    :smoke:

Cool! I know that site! :)
    Thanks for the link though, dunno why I didn't look there myself :eek:
    And thanks for the Zoroastrian link as well, THAT is a corner of the spiritual world I know very little about, but am intrigued by what I've taken in reading about it
    and crossing it's path in reading about the Jewish Exile in Babylon.

[​IMG]
    Dr. FeelGood

16. I've read the Bible front to back a couple of times.

I also have read a few works by Aleister Crowley and Anton LaVey..... I used to be into dark magic and religion. Not now of course. But once upon a time.

17. That is not accurate.

There are sects of Hinduism, and of Yoga, who deny the existence of a personal God, and also don't practice any form of devotion. Bhakti Yoga is only one branch of Yoga. There are other branches that are very different.

18. #38 1Trismegistus1, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    Those sects clearly don't understand the purpose of Yoga. The word Yoga itself means union, as in re-union of the soul with God.

If you want to consider middle aged womens yoga workouts as actual yoga, then sure, bhakti isn't a part of that.

Bhakti itself is different than the other branches, but all Yoga's have the same goal, bringing the soul to God-consciousness. Hence Bhakti is required because otherwise your striving for nothing, and Kundalini Yoga is an aspect of all Yoga's as well, as it is the rising of the Kundalini to the Sahasrara that causes God-consciousness.

19. I'm not talking about Hatha Yoga (the physical yoga that westerners do), but even that is most certainly an "actual yoga", whatever that means.

You should do more research into the other schools of thought before you dismiss them so easily and claiming they "clearly don't understand" the purpose of Yoga. They are extremely deep philosophies and deserve much more respect than what you give them.

20. #40 1Trismegistus1, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    Hatha Yoga is not the same as Vinyassa Yoga which is the "middle aged woman" yoga of doing various poses for the exercise aspect of it. Hatha Yoga (which means Sun-Ha Moon-Tha, Uniting the Sun and Moon, or bringing Shakti up to embrace Shiva) is holding a pose for a prolonged period and focusing on very specific things, breathing certain ways etc. in an attempt to awaken the Kundalini and then cause it to ascend up the spine. It also includes things like Pranayama, which isn't something you'll be doing if you go to a yoga flow class.

Also I can't know what Yogas your talking about if you just say "there are yogas that....." without elaborating on what any of them are even called. I have no interest in a God-less Yoga, I don't wish to waste my time on systems that weren't created by Masters who've alread achieved Liberation and Samadhi.

Nor do I really need to, as I already practice a system that isn't yoga that brings about the same results and in a manner that I prefer to the simple bliss Yoga can bring. I much prefer the more active approach to God.