Major problems, yet I have no clue what it could be

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lilcahos, Mar 3, 2010.

1. #1 lilcahos, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    Could this be nitrogen? nute burn from miracle grow in soil?

idk, its mostly generic potting soil with about a third organic miracle grow, about 6wks in veg under cfls
    they only thing they've ever has was water
    It appears the lower leaves are yellowing, they feel brittle too, and now the upper leaves look bad too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. looks like a common nute def...nitrogen and sulfur...flush...then start nutes at 1/4 to 1/2 strength ...take a few day's but the yellowing should stop and green will try and come back in those leaves...

3. thanks alot for the response,

when I flush, how do i know how much water to use?

4. use a little more then your normal, but a adjust your PH, don't flood/drown the plant though :)
    :smoking:

5. Those leaf margins on the fan leaves shouldn't be rolling down. This is caused by absence of moisture in the leaves. Lack of moisture in the leaves is caused by high heat, over watering, under watering, or over fertilization. Since your obviously not over fertilizing them, and your using a CFL, I would make sure you are not over watering the plant. Over watering will not allow proper gas exchange in the roots and will damage them. This damage will not allow the plants to have a proper nutrient and water uptake and will present itself as a nutrient deficiency. Then when you apply more nutrients/flush you are in essence injuring them more. I see that you are using a self watering container and you are not using perlite in your medium.

Are you watering from the top of the container or are you adding water to the bottom? Are you allowing the soil to dry for several days before you water again?

6. the fact that its yellowing from the top down i would think that it was iron def, heres a pic of iron def

Attached Files:

7. LMAO i dont think i have to point this out any more than that hahahahhaa

The ocean is dry because it has too much water :D

8. Actually I would say thats a Mg def. the claw like leaves and slight yellowing from outter edges are distinct mg def. I would say with 90% confidence mg def, add some cal-mag or some epsolm salt to your water, although you may have pH lockout which you would need to fix before you can move forward. If you look closely the bottom leaves are yellow too along with the top the middle seem ok.

9. Damaged roots do not take up water and nutrients correctly, this is fact. Roots are not straws, they are semi-permeable membranes. You are attempting to simplify a biological process with a ridiculous analogy. Learn biology before you attempt to mock.

10. thanks for the replies
    I dont use the self-watering pot, i give them plain water when the top of the soil dries out

11. The yellowing actually started at the bottom, then went to the top.
    It skipped the middle for some reason

12. House when was the last time you saw a yellow overwatered plant??? The leaves droop on overwatered plants due to the fact they can never soak up all the water. The leaves dont get dry.

13. yep it's a nute def nitrogen because the bottom leaves are yellowing this is classic nitrogen, the top being yellow is like i said sulfur or like joe said it could be iron but iron look's really distictive with out the fade your having...in other word's your leaves are still green and fading yellow not bleach white/ yellow wich mean's it has to be sulfer or posibly mag, but mag usually causes spotting...so my guess was sulfer...either way no matter what kind of nute def in soil to fix this u FLUSH! alway's use twice the amount than your container...if not then your not properly flushing...so if it's a 1 gallon use 2 gallon's of water etc...this will get all the nasties out of the soil...let her dry out a little then on your next watering give her a well balanced nute at 1/4 to 1/2 strength...nute def's are pretty cut and dry, the most effective way to treat this is through flushing bottom line...then give her what sher was lacking...it's really simple...even if we all together cannot pin point the nute def exactly , u can cure them all mostly the same...PH is very important get a meter ASAP!
    cheer's

14. Definitely nitrogen. Give 'em a shot of it. Foliar spray would be awesome.