Maintenance man coming in with his own key?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheBigH, Oct 1, 2013.

1.      Wasn't sure where else to post this. Just a few hours ago I was asleep and I heard a knock on the door. I got up and put some pants on and not 10 seconds later some dude I don't know was letting himself into my apartment with his own key. My concern is if I'm ever at work and my girlfriend is here by herself. It makes me uncomfortable thinking some dude we don't even know who has the key to our house, not patient enough to wait for us to answer the door can just let himself in unannounced. In his defense, he was supposed to be here today. But he showed up about 3 hours early out of the blue.
         Has this ever happened to anyone else? What can I do about it? I don't think we're allowed to change the locks or add any new ones (like chain locks.) I'm pretty sure the manager (who doesn't know I live here, but thinks I visit my girlfriend occassionally) gave the random guy permission to just enter whenever. I want to confront him about it but I don't want a hostile situation, especially since I don't officially live here. 

2. It varies from apartment to apartment, assuming that's where you are. In the contract or lease, it should say whether or not the complex reserves the right to enter your apartment without your permission. I would suggest reading through the lease and finding out exactly where it states that. Then, you (or your girlfriend, since she is the one on the lease) go to the manager and talk to them about it. I'm sure they would understand if you tell them that even though you know they have this right, you would prefer if maintenance only come when someone is present in the home. 

3. I used to work maintence/security at a couple different places. Its actually quite typical for them to have keys to all the apartments. Usually its in case of emergencies such as flooding from broken pipes and such. Gotta be able to get in deal with it to prevent further damage.

Sometimes if a place needed work but the tenant was a pain in the ass I'd wait until they were gone for the day and fix the problem to avoid dealing with their BS. Of corse if it truly concerns you, you can have your gf request that she be present (or she can request that you be present) during any maintence work.

4. #4 Serenity, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    The last apartment I lived in could do this. Every month or so maintenance could come in to change the filters. We didn't care, cause we actually read everything on the lease. You should try that next time if this is such a big deal to you. 

5. #5 TheBigH, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the lease doesn't include making appointments but then showing up 3 hours early. [​IMG]

6. #6 Serenity, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Then read the slip again. It probably said "so and so will come between this time and this time". Not "He will come EXACTLY at this time, if he is one second early your girl getting raped". 

7. Well it wouldnt matter what time if they reserve the right or whatever to enter without permission. Herp Derp Genius...

8. This is pretty off topic, but I don't think you understand the time difference between 1 second and 3 hours. 

9. You're right. Next time you make an appointment with someone, show up several hours before. Tell me how that goes. Derp. 

10. Doesnt matter if the lease says it doesnt lol

Did you ask the guy why he was so early?

11. Yep. He said the apartment 4 or 5 doors down from us cancelled their appointment so he just moved down the list. 

12. So you're not growing or anything? Whats the problem?

13. Nope, not growing or anything. It's just a weird feeling having someone in your house unannounced. Something like that happened to my grandparents a long time ago. The "maintenance man" had a key to their house and when they came back a bunch of shit was missing. Mostly TVs.