Mainstream music is GOOD.

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ASAPDEV, Aug 11, 2012.

1. This topic is going to be a little long just bear with me lol.

(Keep in mind, I'm only speaking for the hip hop genre.)
    (and it should also go without saying this is my opinion and mine alone.)

Mainstream music is good. In fact I say it has improved from what it used to be.
    Before I go further, I would like to point out that I am in fact a hip hop DJ (and I'm not talking about like the kids that have Virtual DJ on their computer and think they can DJ.. I'm an ACTUAL CLUB DJ) and I'm a producer as well and have been a fan of hip hop my entire life. That being said, it should give you light that I know what I'm talking about in at least the smallest light.

Let me explain how I came to this revelation because I know some of you are going to aim at chewing my head off at this point...

Well I used to be one of your typical underground hip hop nerds. I used to listen to almost exclusively underground artists, like the infamous Immortal Technique and the plethora of others, as well as I listened to the classic old school songs, like the old Nas and the like.
    I only listened to music that many would regard of having some type of substance albeit meaning some type of political message, an intriguing story, a deep spiritual meaning, etc. Of course I'd listen to the radio to listen to popular songs to see the state of hip hop as well as keep my music library growing, but not much.
    This was around the 2005-2009 era. I was disgusted with mainstream at the time. I hated it's simplicity. I hated the materialism. I hated the people that liked that garbage. And I was so turned off that I was about to stop listening to hip hop in general and dive head first into actual instrumental music such as rock and jazz. (didn't happen. even though i listen to those and many other genres anyway)

But around late 2010-early 2011, I had came to a realization:
    These other music genres are really not much different. They pretty much all share the same materialistic bullshit that hip hop was heavily criticized for. And as I looked into it more, even the music I had upheld as "better music" or as many call it "REAL hip hop" are similar as well. Even the very first hip hop song, Rapper's Delight, was strictly a party song. Ok, now everybody knows this, but that's just one example and it doesn't stop there. For sake of this posts length I won't list any more. But.
    It makes you realize, that music in general are pretty much founded upon your typical feel-good music. Partying. Clubbing. Drinking. Drugs. Sex. They're in ALL our music! The only time you won't find your typical topics in a song is when they're dedicated to a specific theme or story or agenda.

That being said. Since these qualities in music, things that a lot of the hip hop heads abhor, are pretty much rampant in music since the invention of music recording, maybe even before, why do we continue to degrade music that still does it? It's damn near tradition. Now I will level with you, especially in hip hop, the materialism is nowhere near as repetitive with this genre than in any other genre and I can understand negative criticism towards that. It's not good for a music genre to keep generating the same thing over and over. That kills the genre. But even in mainstream, you have the few songs that are different and aren't about the same shit. Modern examples being Drake (yes from YMCMB), Kanye West, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, even Wiz Khalifa (known for his weed songs) has some songs with substance. With all the artists I just mentioned, of course they have their pop songs on the radio, but they also have lyrical talent where appropriate.

"Where appropriate." Did that catch you off guard? The thing is with the mainstream, they rap about these things that many consider tasteless because that music is for parties/clubs/events and things of that sort. DJ's, like myself, aren't going to play Immortal Technique, Nas, or other shit like that because that music doesn't appeal and doesn't get people up and dancing. I mean think about it. If you go to a club, do you think it would be appropriate to be playing conscious rap, political rap, or meaningful rap in a club setting? FUCK no. You will be kicked out of the booth as a DJ in a HEARTBEAT.

Now when I say the mainstream has improved. If you take a modern mainstream song and compare it to a mainstream song of like 2008. You will notice that a lot of things are better. The quality is better. The complexity of beats are better. The overall evolution is better. Even lyrically the songs are more interesting and more intricate. Wordplay and metaphors have come a long way since then and it's actually pretty difficult to come up with shit a lot of these rappers rap that sound so easy. Same with the beats. (and I'm a producer). The songs today are very good at hyping you up and keeping you interested. Like seriously. To be frank, a lot of the music I used to like and cherish bores the shit outta me now. And it's not because I've heard it many times before or anything, but as I said the overall production quality of the songs today surpass those a few years ago and before that. The entertainment factor in the songs today are high. I can listen to Lil Wayne and be genuinely entertained and then listen to underground music and fall asleep because of it's lack of ability to keep me interested.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but I like music that can get me moving a lot more now than I used to. It could be as simple as my tastes just changed or something as significant as hip hop evolved for the better. And I'm inclined on believing the latter. Don't get me wrong though. I'm nowhere near saying that all the mainstream music is good. I can and will admit a lot of the shit is still trash, but as I said, the music has DEFINITELY improved and I actually enjoy mainstream again.

I've said a lot on this issue and I know most won't read, but for you guys that stuck with this to the end, I'd really like to know your opinion.
    Do you agree? Do you think I just said a lot of bullshit? Am I just brainwashed? Did I shed new light on the subject you weren't aware of?

Let's discuss! :)

2. Holy shit I just realized I wrote a fucking thesis. lmao

3. Yes it's good in turning future generations into degenerates...

short answer fuck that!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8xfWqCmc4]Binary Star - Honest Expression - YouTube[/ame]

4. Are you flucking ignorant?

To some people music is everything and is a influence in their lives...death metal to reggae to country...to elvis impersonators

The media plays a good part in influencing people and their lives. That's why its money making big industry it's not some open mike where play what you want how you want especially in mainstream music. Music has an influence if take a look at what people where the slang they use, hair styles, fashion..etc...etc..

5. [quote name='"matik1"']

Are you flucking ignorant?

To some people music is everything and is a influence in their lives...death metal to reggae to country...to elvis impersonators

The media plays a good part in influencing people and their lives. That's why its money making big industry it's not some open mike where play what you want how you want especially in mainstream music. Music has an influence if take a look at what people where the slang they use, hair styles, fashion..etc...etc..[/quote]

if you read my post instead of being a dense asshole you would see I said "main" influence. people are influenced a lot more so by their environment. music can play a role, the same as movies play a role, the same as parents play a role, the same as friends play a role, etc. there are so many factors that define peoples characteristics and to blame it on music even majorly is ignorant. also it depends on the person.

so instead of derailing my topic and being a pretentious prick, take a chill pill and discuss the topic. or gtfo. I personally couldnt care less.

6. #7 Dannyscott, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
    Holy fuck that is not a thesis its a term paper. I don't know who you expect to read that. Anyways maintstream music SUCKS! All I listen to is classic rock and old school rock and roll. Fuck today's music. Like what the poster above me said No inspiration and no talent and almost nobody plays their own instruments anymore.

It permutates ignorance, materialism, and to be biggest asshole you can be. Especially Rap music. The only thing that I would consider actual good mainstream music is dubstepping and that is because it draws its influence from bands who started and experimented the themes of slowing the drums and bass to smaller and lower speeds like Pink Floyd and The Doors.

7. [quote name='"dannymueller"']Holy fuck that is not a thesis its a term paper. I don't know who you expect to read that. Anyways maintstream music SUCKS! All I listen to is classic rock and old school rock and roll. Fuck today's music. Like what the poster above me said No inspiration and no talent and almost nobody plays their own instruments anymore.

It permutates ignorance, materialism, and to be biggest asshole you can be. Especially Rap music. The only thing that I would consider actual good mainstream music is dubstepping and that is because it draws its influence from bands who started and experimented the themes of slowing the drums and bass to smaller and lower speeds like Pink Floyd and The Doors.[/quote]

lol I see your point. I guess it just comes down to preference. the target audience of the music today are for younger people and as generations go by they will be doing the same, so naturally the older you are by in large you stick to the music from your generation which only gets older.

times change and with change goes evolution of music. it's either you get used to it or stay back in the times. and for a lot of the older crowd, they do the latter.

and this only applies of course if you're not one of the people I described myself as in the original post

8. ---
    double post

9. calm down i just said flucking...okay don't choke on your panties just yet.:cool:

Yes and if you read my opinionated comment you'll see that I said SOME as in not everybody in the world...to think that music isn't a main influence in peoples lives is plain dumb...and from what i see is that you're just trying be right but can't back it up, hiding behind 2cent words doesn't make you more intelligent . Music has influenced generations when a person hears a certain song they think of an era,...it can influence politics, ie bob marley; or influence violence, or ignorance or narcissism or horniness o. It may not be the "main" influence but it'll still have an impact on a person's life.

10. Anyways maintstream is shit there are a handfull of artist that are I still respect...other than that it's a different artist same topics...annoying songs. False sense of grandeur and pride especially with mainstream hip hop.

11. [quote name='"matik1"']

calm down i just said flucking...okay don't choke on your panties just yet.:cool:

Yes and if you read my opinionated comment you'll see that I said SOME as in not everybody in the world...to think that music isn't a main influence in peoples lives is plain dumb...and from what i see is that you're just trying be right but can't back it up, hiding behind 2cent words doesn't make you more intelligent . Music has influenced generations when a person hears a certain song they think of an era,...it can influence politics, ie bob marley; or influence violence, or ignorance or narcissism or horniness o. It may not be the "main" influence but it'll still have an impact on a person's life.[/quote]

look you're mind games don't work and i like your hypocrisy in that post, but we're not here to argue who has the bigger e-dick.

I didn't say it wasn't. it can be a big influence depending on the person but no more so a persons environment and upbringing determines a persons taste in music. it's silly to say music determines a persons character because most people listen to various different styles and genres of music.. and most genres have their own unique defining characteristics.
    you must have a very pessimistic view on humanity to believe such a thing as that.

there are plenty of people who don't succumb to music stereotypes, myself bring one as im sure you are too. this drives my point home of music not being as influential as you say. like I said it can and does play a part big or small depending on the person but there are so many more factors that come into play

12. [quote name='"matik1"']Anyways maintstream is shit there are a handfull of artist that are I still respect...other than that it's a different artist same topics...annoying songs. False sense of grandeur and pride especially with mainstream hip hop.[/quote]

good point. that's why we have our independent artists! but mainstream serves a big purpose when it comes to clubs and parties and shit

13. You calling me a hypocrite come on man your whole post is a hypocrisy. And how does being open minded and knowing that mainstream crap is influencing a a hipster, snapback wearing, wannabe skater stereotype. It's the truth obviously you can't handle it. It changed a whole style in fashion in this generation.

Oh and here's a key that you obviously missed......"SOME"

some

   [suhm; unstressed suhm] Show IPA
    adjective 1. being an undetermined or unspecified one: Some person may object.

2. (used with plural nouns) certain: Some days I stay home.

3. of a certain unspecified number, amount, degree, etc.: to some extent.

4. unspecified but considerable in number, amount, degree, etc.: We talked for some time. He was here some weeks.

5. Informal . of impressive or remarkable quality, consequence, extent, etc.: That was some storm.

14. True the everybody knows this song so the whole crowd goes fckn nuts...but other than when you're in a club you're either drunk or on some shit and it doesn't matter as long as the songs movin the crowd..

15. I'd like for you to outline where "my whole post is a hypocrisy." I'd like to hear this. empty accusations ftw?

your post "and from what i see is that you're just trying be right but can't back it up, hiding behind 2cent words doesn't make you more intelligent" is the hypocrisy i'm pointing out with you... just because you obviously didn't know what i was referring to. you're welcome for spelling it out for you.

And hipsters are just trend hoppers. That's not even a fair comparison. And you have a very uninformed view of what a hipster is if that's what you think they are. And at the same token they don't have a specific defining genre of music.

16. and just for the record, SOME is not a number anyone cares about.
    try making a bigger and better argument that actually has validity.
    You don't see scientific research and theories done with SOME people. Just sayin. :\

17. Erm, I'd have to strongly disagree with you on that one.

18. understandable. i can respect that. is it the typical reason?

19. #20 Superweener, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    I am not sure what the typical reason is...plus "mainstream" music is hard to define

A part of why I don't like it is it's lack of any genuine hearted message, or intent, which is a needed factor in the making of music that can transcend trends, fad, and time. Also, I prefer an organic kind of music, ie instruments.

I'm in no way saying don't listen to what you like, though. If it enhances your life like music should, I would never suggest not listening to it. :smoke: