Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.
  1. So if anyone here is from the good ol 207, you know question 5 passed. So whats the deal? When can i try to get my card?

2. Actually, i dont think its going to change much. Im glad people who need it can get it though.

3. #4 Deleted member 170731, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2022

4. I was hoping to get a card for my TMJ. Maybe next time.

5. 2. Adding debilitating medical conditions. Not later than 120 days after the effective
    date of this chapter, the department shall adopt rules that govern the manner in which the
    department shall consider petitions from the public to add medical conditions or
    treatments to the list of debilitating medical conditions set forth in section 2422,
    subsection 2. In considering such petitions, the department shall include public notice of,
    and an opportunity to comment in a public hearing upon, such petitions. The department
    shall, after hearing, approve or deny such petitions within 180 days of their submission.
    The approval or denial of such a petition constitutes final agency action, subject to judicial
    review. Jurisdiction and venue for judicial review are vested in the Superior Court.

Guess we better get to work on some petitions!

Source: http://www.mainepatientsrights.org/Petition MEDICAL MARIJUANA.pdf

6. The department of Human Services has 120 days to determine the card issue policy and fee's involved. They have said it will be tax payer neutral. If after 140 days they have not a notarized copy of your paperwork will be considered a valid medical marijuana card.

My neighbor is the district attorney and we are in discussion regarding incorporation and establishing a non-profit dispenser in the Southern Maine area, serving the Greater Portland and surrounding areas. The state will also be issuing more guidance regarding zoning.

For now, you can contact the Department of human Services with your requests, I expect they will not issue much guidance until approaching the 120 day deadline. Remember, the law as passed in 1999 is currently still in effect. It is also unsure yet if the new medical marijuana card will be required or optional. It certainly is required if you obtain your medicine from a caregiver or distribution facility, what is unclear is if you are a home grower.

As most know the old law did not prevent law enforcement from confiscating your medicine, it simply provide the defense of it and normally resulted in charges being dropped. However your harvest or plants may have already been destroyed and that was legal. The new law prevents this for card holders.

7. So from what I've obtained from this thread is that it's rather difficult to get a card in Maine?