Main lining, quick question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by mendeleyev, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Hey, I am currently doing my first main-lined plant following this guide

http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

If you are familiar with this method, I just need a simple answer.

When I topped the plant for the first time to make two main nodes, I was using a razor blade I took from my work because it was sterile. I ever so slightly nicked my plant causing me to be concerned about bending the branch like the procedure calls for (step 2c if you follow the link). I didn't bend that one, but I did the other. Do you think that will really make a difference or it is just a sort of cosmetic thing? A week later, the branch is fine but it created a bit of a knuckle at the nick, so now it is pretty stiff. Definitely too stiff for a bend.

Also, Anyone have any other preferred training methods for indoor growing? Main lining seemed so simple and elegant so I chose to do that, but I am open to other techniques.

2. fill me in on what main lining is.

3. Check the link, but essentially you train a plant to not grow one main stem, but eight mains.

Top once, get two mains. Top those two mains to get 4 mains, top those to get 8. It prevents the "Popcorn buds" and produces fat, dense buds. Yields go up very significantly for very little work.

4. Check out my link below, I'm almost done with my first grow 2/3 plants were mainlined. I also mainlined 3 in a DWC (no journal, sorry). I can answer most questions.

5. It works like a charm in DWC if you don't screw it up. Next grow will be A+, I got my bases covered. Ill post pics of the new ones in april/may.

6. WP_20151208_043.jpg The cheese 1
    WP_20151208_044.jpg Cheese1
    WP_20151202_006.jpg Black Domina's
    WP_20151211_024.jpg The Cheese 1

Sorry to photo bomb, just a strong supporter of mainlining!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TIP: Train those tops down hard and spread them out evenly (In early veg before it grows bark) to avoid cluttering of leaves and buds when it all fills in, thus allowing more light to access more of the plant more efficiently creating an excellent bud structure.
    [SUB][/SUB]<sup></sup><del></del>

8. I'm in week 6 or 7 of veg. Topped for the third time last week.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. not to be a downer, but... I thought this was going to be the best method ever, it all made sense! So I tried it with a few plants and wasn't happy with the yield. Tried a few more and more and multiple strains, NEVER got a yield worth a damn! I grow perpetually and wasted about 6 months worth of growing with this method. I just couldn't get any results from it no matter what I did.

I've been growing for nearly 2 years and even to this day I'm constantly reading and learning more. I can grow a plant any other method, just not by mainlining.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hmm, I know mainlining tends to increase veg time but I don't see why it would affect the yield in a bad way. What lights, pots, space, and number of plants are you using?

11. The problem I see with the top once, get 2...top twice get four, is that's not how it works. If you top once you will get usually get 4,6 or 8 tops. Once the main too is cut the others all get full light and take off. The top two are usually very small when you top so they take time to develop and the others catch up. I was curious and watched this stream from time to time and I was skeptical. I didn't trust the source who supposedly tops 16 times to get 32 tops or something like that. I have had the best yields just scrogging. My last plant was 8.3 oz grapefruit diesel. Hope you get things dialed in and get your yields up. Good luck

12. That's not quite how it works either.

With mainlining you remove ALL side-branching, ABOVE and BELOW the two you pick as your "mainline." Then, you split, train and grow. When those tops are ready to be split, you remove ALL remaining nodes, ABOVE and BELOW your new 'mains.' In this fashion you ONLY double each time the amount of colas. 1 turns into 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8, 8 to 16, etc, like RAM.

13. So, given that you would need at least a week between topping, maybe more, you will be growing this thing for 5 months before flowering? That seems like the least efficient method possible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry for not being more clear. You only top it 6 times total to get 32 colas, by your math 6 weeks. Each time you top, you`re topping all the new tops you created the previous round.

Personally, I`m going to try 4 colas per plant in a milk jug SOG. So that`s topping twice with a little training before I switch cycles. Looking forward to taste the results :)

15. It really didn't take that long, you can check out my grow journal if you want to see how long it took. I'm at 8 tops at month 2 with plants 15-20 inches.
    I didn't lst them as long as you should though