magnessium or iron defeciency?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Str8basshead, Aug 22, 2013.

1. I have been having problems with my plants doing this as you see in the picture. The strain is "Death Star". I have my PH at 6.5 and I am growing in soil. I am using general hydropinics flora series nutrients following the guidelines as recomended. The pic is of one of my small plants but my large ones have done the same thing. The larger plants started to get a purple color to the main stem and leaf stems so I thought it was magnessium defeciency but it lookes like it could be an iron deficiency as well when I look at a nutrient deffeciency chart with pics of the leaves. So I foiler sprayed them with one teaspoon per gallon of epsum salts. I also used well water wich has more iron in it for the foiler spray with epsum salts to cover both bases so to speak. They seem to be doing better now. Could it be that the ph is so close to locking out calcium and magnesium at 6.5? Because I know anything lower than 6.5 in soil can lock out magnesium and calcium. Should I maybe try spraying them with a foiler spray the same as I have done before but with the PH at 6.7? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem as well. I have heard "Death Star" can be kinda difficult to grow when it comes to nutrients. Note: the white stuff on the tips of the leaves are from a foiler spray. Not mildew.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Is the ph you're talking about going in or run-off? Run-off will reveal the issue and the solution. You should do a run-off ph measurement now and get back to us. If it's below 6.5 running out, it'll be Mg and Ca deficit. If it runs out above 6.8 it'll be Fe, Zinc and Mn coming in possibly later.

3. It is the ph going in. Cant believe I haven't thought of that thanks! I cant check the big plants because they are in the ground but i will test the small ones today and get back.

4. Just tested one of the small plants as shown in my pics and I ran 6.5 pH water in and got 6.8 tipping 6.9 out. So in the next watering should i use a pH of 6.3 to hopefully solve the problem?

5. Ph it down to 6 and tells us what it reads next time you check run-off? You should check ph run-off every few weeks so these problems don't present themselves.

6. Yeah I will definitely do so. But this death star strain is picky more than other strains. Seems like if my pH is over 6.5 it shows signs of iron defficiency and if its below 6.5 it shows signs of magnesium deficiency. But i will post my upcoming results for sure. Thanks for the help!

7. *Update*  I watered my 10 lil plants today with a pH of 6.0 and checked the runoff and the pH from the runoff was 6.4. I would assume this will fix my problem and I will take another pic of my plants here in about a week to show the results. Thanks again "mmman"!

8. Your very welcome. Ph will build again soon to a optimal level.