Magnesium deficiency??

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BeachLbiBum420, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Good morning everyone. I came home today and found some discoloration on the bigger fan leaves. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Looks more like Calcium , what is your water source ? Do you use Cal/Mag ?

3. G' Morn BB420 - I think everyone struggles a little with properly identifying plant problems. To me, it looks like a potassium issue, DF says calcium, you think mag. I believe a good way to control (most) issues is to simply use a tea when watering, such as molasses or something like fox farm liquid. If your into growing a particular strain all the time it makes sense to research the particular wants/needs of that strain. Many questions required to properly offer sound advise. DF, great start for sure, water source.

4. If you are adding nutes I would just increase a little bit . Jd you may be right , this is Phos deficiency
    [​IMG]

5. Calcium is a good place to start but without knowing the details of your grow the fix is up in the air. For RO water CalMg might work fine, but if you're using tap it's not necessarily that simple. Ca and Mg don't always get along; too much of one will inhibit the uptake of the other so depending on the makeup of your water source CalMg may not work out for you. If unsure, a foliar application (so long as you are not late in flower and have proper air exchange/circulation) would help avoid any lockouts. 1/2t./G should work fine.

An alternative to CalMg is the use of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) and/or calcium sulfate (gypsum) fed to the roots @ 1t./G will work depending on the deficiency. The bonus? Both of those can be found in a local grocery or garden store, bought for less than a bottle of CalMg and last you a hell of a lot longer.

6. #6 piratechefny, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    JD: could be it as well, although you tend to see Mg at the edges first, Ca between the margins and P as more blotchy throughout. As for a straight molasses "tea", I'm not sure how much P you get from it; the other you mentioned may be more of a viable solution.Teas can be wonderful things.

Still goes back to needing more info on the grow, starting with H2O.

7. Thanks for your replies I didn't think about the city water. For my outdoor ventures I've used my well water. First time indoors and just started using my indoor city water. So I will switch. Growing in a box I made under cfl's. Never had problems out doors but indoors seems like a whole nother' animal.

8. i hate to say it, but the twisting and curling resmbles a russet or broad mite problem, alot of newer growers will sit and try to figure out what defieceny they are seeng and try to fix with nutes only to see the strange leaf growth continue, simply because they cant see the bugs with naked eye, u need a 60x-100 x microscope to see the nasty little buggers, but honestly if theres a hydro shop near your area i would go spend 10 bucks on one of the little clip on phone camera scopes and start snapping some pics at the base of the affected leaves where they meet the stem, the russets almost resmble little maggoty things and the broads are just tiny translucent mites. Id honestly do a thorough check and if nothing shows up then move on to treating deficiency