Magic flight making me more tired then smoking

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Ghostdivision, Mar 26, 2012.

1. #1 Ghostdivision, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    One of my problems with smoking weed is i get very tired and almost a sleepy drowsy hung over the next day. I cut back on the amount i smoked and generally did better.

However i decided to use my mflb again, i must say i dont like the high nearly as much. One of the reasons i did buy it though was people seemed to think cleaner highs make you less tired.

Im just curious why i am finding the exact opposite. I did this a couple of nights now, I would smoke out of a pipe, and I felt fine, then i used the mflb and within half an hour I felt like i took a sleeping pill. The next day i feel incredibly drowsy. It is not nearly this extreme when I use a pipe. And after smoking a joint or pipe I never feel tired like this.

I know Im in a vaporizer forum so I likely wont get much support for what Im finding, but I truly believe the idea vaporizers give energetic high's are simply folklore.

I will say going by these results I am confused that the method of smoking can make that much of a difference as I am finding.

2. [quote name='"Ghostdivision"']One of my problems with smoking weed is i get very tired and almost a sleepy drowsy hung over the next day. I cut back on the amount i smoked and generally did better.

However i decided to use my mflb again, i must say i dont like the high nearly as much. One of the reasons i did buy it though was people seemed to think cleaner highs make you less tired.

Im just curious why i am finding the exact opposite. I did this a couple of nights now, I would smoke out of a pipe, and I felt fine, then i used the mflb and within half an hour I felt like i took a sleeping pill. The next day i feel incredibly drowsy. It is not nearly this extreme when I use a pipe. And after smoking a joint or pipe I never feel tired like this.

I know Im in a vaporizer forum so I likely wont get much support for what Im finding, but I truly believe the idea vaporizers give energetic high's are simply folklore.

I will say going by these results I am confused that the method of smoking can make that much of a difference as I am finding.[/quote]

They aren't folklore, you're just misunderstanding. Cannabis has countless cannabinoids, but the two most prominent are THC and CBD. THC often gives that energetic high, whereas CBD gives more of a body high - and may make you more tired. Many other cannabinoids at higher levels also tend to be more sedative in nature.

Because of this, a vaporizer on a low temperature is likely to give more of the THC, and less of the sedative-like cannabinoids. However, contrary to what many people think, a vaporizer absolutely can still get that CBD, as well as the other cannabinoids. An MFLB easily gets these. In fact, vaporizers end up getting more THC and CBD than smoking would.

So really, the reason you're feeling more tired is because the MFLB is getting you more actives in general. The MFLB isn't a temperature adjustable vaporizer, but increasing your draw speed should lower the temperature.

But, from the sounds of it - it's more strain dependant anyway. Sativa's generally have a higher ratio of THC to CBD, whereas Indicas have a lower ratio, containing more CBD than a Sativa would.

So if you don't want to feel quite as tired - try vaporizing less, maybe increasing your draw speed (leaving the herb a lighter brown rather than a darker brown). But the most important thing you can do is try to change up the strains you're getting - as this is more likely what's causing the issue.

3. #3 Ghostdivision, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    Thanks for the response that makes sense.

I should mention with this strain i feel no drowsiness after smoking it, only after vaping. I was skeptical myself, I even said to a friend this cant be right, vaping cant make me this tired. But i tried another 2 nights with the same results, smoking i would feel fine, with the mflb i had to go to bed, i could not stay awake.

But your explanation makes perfect sense.

Im curious though when you said vaporizers get more thc and cbd then smoking, why I still feel more stoned smoking? But i am not feeling as tired.

I was thinking of possibly getting da buddah, im still on the fence because I am not impressed with the mflb (not that it does not work, i just dont like the high) If I did go that route, I should vape on a lower temperature then..

4. [quote name='"Ghostdivision"']Thanks for the response that makes sense.

I should mention with this strain i feel no drowsiness after smoking it, only after vaping. I was skeptical myself, I even said to a friend this cant be right, vaping cant make me this tired. But i tried another 2 nights with the same results, smoking i would feel fine, with the mflb i had to go to bed, i could not stay awake.

But your explanation makes perfect sense.

Im curious though when you said vaporizers get more thc and cbd then smoking, why I still feel more stoned smoking? But i am not feeling as tired.

I was thinking of possibly getting da buddah, im still on the fence because I am not impressed with the mflb. If I did go that route, I should vape on a lower temperature then..[/quote]

Yeah if you're looking for an active high, a lower temperature would be best. I have the Silver Surfer (same company and most of the components of the Da Buddha) and I often turn it up a little at night. However I do find that smoking always makes me a bit more tired and groggy, regardless of the temp I set my vape at. So honestly I don't have a perfect answer to why you see such different results for why you feel no drowsiness while smoking. Especially since you say that the MFLB isn't getting you as high, since usually I find I only have to sleep if I consume quite a bit.

I don't own an MFLB, but I have used a friends, and while I liked it I think my Silver Surfer gets me a lot higher. But I didn't find the MFLB made me more tired.

I wish I had a better answer for you though. How long do you hold your vapor in by the way?

5. Usually about 5-10 seconds. Typically 10 seconds but I had been trying less after getting tired.

It gets me a head high, but I dont feel as stoned or as good, yet i feel just absolutely drained after using it, none of it makes sense to me really.

The other night I smoked a bowl, I felt stoned and really felt good.

Then I tried the mflb, I felt a head high, not really a happy stoned, and extremely fatigued.

6. Vapes maximize the potential of bud where combustion you lose many potential cbd cbn and thc

7. Ok but why do I get a much happier better high though when I smoke?

8. [quote name='"Ghostdivision"']Usually about 5-10 seconds. Typically 10 seconds but I had been trying less after getting tired.

It gets me a head high, but I dont feel as stoned or as good, yet i feel just absolutely drained after using it, none of it makes sense to me really.

The other night I smoked a bowl, I felt stoned and really felt good.

Then I tried the mflb, I felt a head high, not really a happy stoned, and extremely fatigued.[/quote]

Hmm, experiment with "playing" with the vapor. Vapor takes longer to absorb than smoke does, and our lungs based on movement, so breathing out a little and then back in works wonders for me. I'm not sure if that would make you more or less tired though, as I don't experience what you feel whatsoever. In fact after smoking I often feel a little grosser, and much more tired and hard to think. In stark contrast, my SSV always gets me feeling very high and happy - very similar to when I first started smoking, except that it's like that every single time.

[quote name='"Ghostdivision"']Ok but why do I get a much happier better high though when I smoke?[/quote]

Well, I could go on and on about my own opinions, but then you'd have yours and I'd have mine. Obviously I experience pretty much the opposite of what you do.

But speaking factually - you do get more THC, and CBD, and other cannabinoids and terpenes and terpenoids and all other actives of the plant with vaporizing. THC in particular is what should cause the "happy" high, and there's no doubt a vaporizer is most efficient at that, as it's one of the lower temperature actives. So, a vaporizer should not only make you higher, but also a happier head high.

But obviously you aren't lying, and you're experiencing what you experience. There's a few things that could be the cause of it, but it's hard to say.

1. The MFLB, while a fine functioning vape, doesn't hit as hard as other vaporizers. I've hit my friend's MFLB, and had a great time. However this was after I'd already become very loyal to vaporizing, and what truly converted me was my Silver Surfer. So a better vaporizer may give you a happier better high. The issues with this reasoning is that you're obviously getting high - almost too high it seems as you feel the need to fall asleep. Yet too high seems weird, as you're having a better happier high with smoking.

2. The MFLB has a learning curve. You are new to it, and it's possible that with practice you may like it more. You may find a draw speed that suits you, or how long to insert the batteries, etc. There's plenty of guides online how to hit the MFLB correctly. But again - it does seem like you're using it reasonably well, as it's obviously doing something if it's making you pass out. But it's still worth playing around with.

3. Vapor is pretty much entirely made up of actives, in particular THC. Smoke on the other hand is around 15% THC depending, the rest being carcinogens, tar, etc. I'm not trying to preach that smoke is bad for you, as I believe someone can easily live a healthy life while inhaling smoke from cannabis. However, the other stuff shouldn't be dismissed as nothing. Carbon monoxide, and other things WILL effect how you feel. I've found that many smokers sometimes have more trouble than they'd think missing these things. These extra components will make you feel a bit heavier, and a bit lightheaded as well. However - these things shouldn't make the high "happier" so it's still not a perfect explanation for what you're experiencing.

I've also found that my lungs respond to vapor better after I've stopped smoking. Our lungs are perfectly capable of cleaning themselves to a certain degree. Things like tobacco smoke is often too much for our lungs to handle. Cannabis on the other hand usually isn't. But, a regular smoker, as most of us are/were here, is going to have at least some buildup at any given time in their lungs. It's possible that vapor is absorbed better through a vaporizers lungs than a smokers. This is just an observation though, and shouldn't be treated as fact.

My advice would be to keep playing with the MFLB to see if you like it, and try loading very small amounts in the MFLB and see how that is. Try getting a Sativa strain if you're able to as well - you may like that more in the vaporizer. If you have access to try a better vaporizer (DBV, SSV, LSV, EQ, Volcano, CRZ, Arizer Solo come to mind) I would recommend it, to see what you think. Buying a better vaporizer like the DBV would be a great option too, but as I have no definite answer to why you're experiencing the opposite effects I do, I understand the apprehension to throw down money on something that could dissapoint.

9. Ah man, the SAME thing has been happening to me. I have only had it for about a week, but it has been making me feel real detached, groggy, and even depressed. I hate the high that it has been giving me, and even more the come down that seems to leave me in a state of lethargy for almost an entire day. I haven't found much support on this, as most people seem to have an energetic, "clean" high with their vapes, but this thing is killing me. I think I may just call it quits. It's a shame, because I love the health benefits of vaping, but if it makes me feel like this mentally then it is not worth it. I'd rather sacrifice my lungs than my emotional state.
    Please, does anybody else have this issue with the mflb or with vaping in general?

10. I'm experiencing the same thing. I've been a daily smoker for 25 years, and I know my reactions very well. For the past 2 months, I've been using the Magic Flight exclusively. It definitely makes me very sleepy, which is unusual for me to experience from smoking.

If I wake-n-bake, I'll need to take a nap 90 minutes later, which has never been the case when smoking. If I use the Magic Flight all day while hiking, by 3pm I will be not just athletically tired, but literally falling asleep and needing to stop to nap. This is very unusual behavior for me.

I doubt that a placebo effect is responsible, because I was expecting the exact opposite to occur - I assumed that vapor would be cleaner and thus less tiring. Now that I'm fairly accustomed to the MF high, I'll probably try switching back to bonghits for comparison. But I'm quite certain that the MF high makes me groggy and sleepy.

11. [quote name='"franklin74"']I'm experiencing the same thing. I've been a daily smoker for 25 years, and I know my reactions very well. For the past 2 months, I've been using the Magic Flight exclusively. It definitely makes me very sleepy, which is unusual for me to experience from smoking.

If I wake-n-bake, I'll need to take a nap 90 minutes later, which has never been the case when smoking. If I use the Magic Flight all day while hiking, by 3pm I will be not just athletically tired, but literally falling asleep and needing to stop to nap. This is very unusual behavior for me.

I doubt that a placebo effect is responsible, because I was expecting the exact opposite to occur - I assumed that vapor would be cleaner and thus less tiring. Now that I'm fairly accustomed to the MF high, I'll probably try switching back to bonghits for comparison. But I'm quite certain that the MF high makes me groggy and sleepy.[/quote]

What strain are you smoking on?

12. If tolerance is low and you're just starting with vaporizers, you'll have to allow for some time to adjust. When we inhale with vaporizers, the vapor is cleaner and often more concentrated than when smoked. The downfall is that it usually takes 5-15 minutes to complete a bowl, yet you may feel much "higher" than if you were to smoke. Also, you may want to convert to a sativa strain. Indica's will deliver a powerful body high that may sometimes make you drowsy. I'd stick with it for a bit longer, unless vaporizing just isn't the thing for you. Good luck, let me know how it goes.
    Once you find the way to vaporizing, there's a high chance you won't go back. Well.. Maybe occasionally.

13. I agree with your post. I enjoy both Sativa and Indica but when I vape I prefer an Indica/sativa mixture strain, a pure Sativa, and if it's night and I just want to relax a pure/dominant Indca. I also found it odd at first how I'd smoke a hit or two of vapor from the MFLB and it was like smoking what we used to call "creeper herb" meaning you got super high 5-10 mins later out of nowhere. I no longer smoke herb and instead I just vape. I like to keep my tolerance very low/non-existent so I get the psychedelic effects of THC and the vape high will last a very long time akin to eating a high dose of herb but without the confusion, being totally unable to move, etc.