Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Magic butter machine question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Kdebi, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Okay so I know some of you on here are not fans of the MBM but I recently recieved one as a gift so I'm not going to waste it.

I've read some people on here giving advice as to making butter with this machine. Some were saying that you shouldn't strain the finished product because it can cut the potency in half by removing the ground up herb. Is there any truth to this? I plan on making my first batch tonight using trim I have left over from the last grow. I plan on using 2-3 the amount most use when using bud because I know the trim is not as potent.

So if anybody could weigh in on the straining part of it I would appreciate it. Thanks homies

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. If there is any THC left in the bud then you haven't let it infuse long enough.Strain it.

That's the short answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Depending on how efficient decarb and recipe are, straining oils will leave 20-70% of the medicine behind.
    Dosing Homemade Cannabis Edibles: Why It’s Nearly Impossible to Calculate Potency | Leafly
    Potency Testing: My Canna-Butter
    https://hightimes.com/edibles/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results/

190 proof alcohol is much more efficient at removing cannabinoids, so straining is almost always done when using it.

If you want a large batch of butter/oil, MBM will be fine, but for smaller batches of less than 1 oz herb, it's easier to add ground, decarbed herb to the oil of any cookie/brownie recipe, along with some additional processing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I strain mine. I make coconut oil in my MBM, and I put it in my coffee. Ground up herb in your coffee is no good in my book.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Been using one for 5 years. I use 80 to 100 gram of bud or trim. 4 sticks of butter or better yet 16oz of coconut oil 2 tbsp of letichen. Strain through metal coffee filter. Get every drop. I take a nagalene water bottle and squeese every drop

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh if they haven't fixed the handle on the machine, I would suggest u don't carry it or pick it up with the handle. The handles break easy. I would carry from the bottom

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Thanks guys your a big help. Maybe I'll strain half of the material and leave the other half unstrained and test to see how much if any stronger the unstained is.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Trial and error is usually the best strategy.
    Be sure to do at least 3 doses with each method, and average them, because edible effects can vary tremendously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Good advice thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. I would strain trim, but not bud. MOST important- have fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 80 to 100 grams per 2 cups of butter? Isn't that overkill?

• Like Like x 1
  12. I was planning on using 100gram of trim with 4 sticks of butter. You think that's overkill?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nope. Ive done that with nugs too. I used to make for patients. They would use the drops. Can u imagine how strong my brownies are lol. Making some as we speak[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nope

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I make batches of 4 cups of coconut oil to 1oz flower and 4tbsp sunflower lecithin. This gives a great balance of potency and flavor. I've made oil from trim/popcorn , 60gr/4cups, but it tasted very very planty.
    I recommend coconut oil over butter also, it absorbs more cannabinoids. It can be used as a 1 to 1 substitute for butter in most recipes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 1/2 oz of flower per cup of coconut oil (or butter) plus lecithin seems like a good balance of flavor to potency to me. Citrus flavored cookies (orange or lemon) takes care of the earthy taste.

• Like Like x 2
  17. So I ended up using 8 sticks of butter to 100 grams trim. I'm going to make some treats tonight and see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ok might be better for those that aren't used to it. Plus u can eat a. Cookie or 3 lol. I tell people to have desserts around so u won't overindulge

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. We do a double cook. First we use 2 oz bud with 2C of canola oil. We don't really strain it, but put it in a metal coffee filter and let it all drip out for several hours. Then maybe press on it some. Then put that herb back in with 1C of Coconut oil and cook it again. Then strain that very well. Then we use 2/3 of the first batch with 1/3 of the second batch. Cuts down on the coconut taste in brownies but still gets most of the potency.

• Like Like x 1