made a mistake lol i sprayed my plants and left water droplets

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bigtoke24, Apr 3, 2009.

1. The next day i came back and found that the droplets were magnified by the lights and burned the plants. There is a bit of rust spots on the fan leaves but i dont see any bud damage.
    Will it be ok?
    concerned and paranoid lol

2. thanks i was hoping it would be ok because im so far in lol i didnt wanna fuck it up.

3. Nah, no big deal. I have done it a few times as well. Just make sure that when you spray your babies they are not directly under the light until the moisture has evaporated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shouldn't even really be spraying your plants with water... at least that's what I was told in my old grow. Could promote mold.

5. They were just lookin kinda dry and i thot theyd enjoy a spray lol.
    was a silly MISTake bahahaha:smoking:

6. yea the main danger of mold is during flowering, but during veg you can mist as long as you dont drench your plant in water

7. hahahahh mistake god that is funny

i didn't know water droplets could do that with light though.

8. #10 bigtoke24, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
    me either i didnt think it'd be a big deal but i guess it was lol. i was scared at first because i thot i had some serious nute burn. luckily I only misted the leaves. buds r all good

Picture 098.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

Picture 100.jpg

so excited these r bagseed an my first grow woo lol
    4 100 watt cfl 100 watt hps

9. #11 Nacko, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
    I seriously doubt you burned your plants. Those in nature get wet all the time and deal with the much stronger light of the sun. Cannabis, being a full-sun species, will be able to handle that. Not to mention that if you did burn your plants, then that tissue is dead, so it would turn yellow, not red like rust.

A variety of plant pathogens, primarily fungi, fall into the broad descriptive category of "rust". Read up here for more: http://www.thewaterwisegarden.com/rust.htm

If it is rust, then a fungicidal soap would be beneficial. Fungicidal soaps are all-natural.

That said, for a healthy plant, you do want to avoid getting the foliage wet. One reason is yes, it does encourage the development of fungi and other pests. The other is it is unhelpful. With few exceptions, plants can't absorb moisture through their leaves. Their leaves are used for food production, and a process involved in this is breathing. Leaves are covered with tiny pores called stomata that allow the exchange of air; if they're wet, then no air can pass. So plants have developed a number of novel techniques to avoid this. Pointed tips, such as palms, and ways of using water's hydrostatic properties to their benefit (the "lotus effect"). As well as, naturally, putting more stomata on the bottom of the leaf than on top. Some plants, if you water their above-ground parts with impure water, can develop crown rot.

There is one situation where constant moisture and high humidity is preferred. If you are rooting cuttings, which is by far the cheapest and easiest way to get more plants, then it is critical to make sure those cuttings don't have a chance to wilt before they can develop roots. Most of the water taken up by a plant is lost to evaporation through the stomata. High humidity and constant moisture, as said earlier, blocks those stomata and prevents the plant from suffering fatal water loss. Such is the reason that commercial propagators as well as many hobbyists make use of "mist beds," which deliver a short mist every few minutes and thus increase the chance of success with their cuttings.

I hope you enjoyed my verbose and overcooked first post. ;)

10. Well put, and excessively verbose if i may emphasize. LOL. I don't like spraying/misting or foliar feeding simply because it slows transpiration. Slower transpiration = slower growth. RH is one thing, but cannabis doesn't enjoy baths/showers IMO. ;)

+rep for a real humdinger of an over-compensating 1st post. LOL :wave:

Welcome to GC BTW :metal::gc_rocks::metal: you get my standard welcome-wagon green carpet roll out.

11. the water droplets left on the leaves close to a lamp will magnify and burn spots on the leaves.