Macro is SWEET!

Discussion in 'General' started by Smokin*Buddah, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I've known about the macro setting on my cam for a while and it wasn't till a few weeks ago I tested it out on some DANK that i grabbed. WOW what a pic, i mean this bud is the size of a large lima bean, and as you can see its huge now.

Any tips on how i could improve would be cool, Im excited to take much much more!!

[​IMG]

2. no one likes my macro?

3. Its got alot of nice trichs and orange hairs. Nice stash.

4. i like ur macro:p

5. that nugs tights,, i have a cam w/ macro too but dont have any nugs to take pics of D:

6. well id say its a good macro. I have a REALLY shitty camera with shitty macro but i make it work.

iv recently got better at it, just by trial and error...

few things I think are important:
    -lighting
    -keeping camera STILL
    -focus obviously
    -taking more than one picture, from more than one angle

7. wow i wish my cameras macro would work like that

8. It does.

9. i second this, i was trying to take a macro shot of some shit for ebay (not bud you idiots) and I was having an impossible time with lighting/focus/glare. guess my cheapie kodak is to blame

10. Try and diffuse the light for something like that if you're having a problem with glare. Also, tape a small apparatus around the front of your lens to prevent light from the sides of the camera interfering with the picture. Typically it's called a lens hood, but they're fairly difficult to find for point and shoots, so you would have to experiment with what works best.

It should look something like this...

[​IMG]

And fit on to your camera like this...

[​IMG]

You could probably make a pretty effective one out of a thick type of paper or even cardboard. So long as stray light rays don't make their way to your lens.

As for diffusing the light, without blowing all of your money on a hundred dollar, single light reflector, just drape some white sheets (thin paper works, but it's a bit trickier) in front of your light source so that it's not coming from one direction. This spreads the light across a wide area and prevents overexposure quite a bit. Also, softer light makes for easier focusing as the autofocus has a much easier time dealing with diffused light (try pointing your camera at the sun and focusing [don't look through the viewfinder, please..], you'll see what I mean).

These tips can be used for taking macro shots as well, but TheVirtuoso brought up a few good points.

One. Keep your camera steady. Usually a tripod would be good for this, but if you don't have one lying around, just experiment with a variety of things. When I was doing water droplet shots, I balanced my SLR on a set of coffee cans! No bull shit.

[​IMG]

Two. Experiment with the focusing. This means moving back and forth with the autofocus enabled until your shot looks clear and crisp. Cameras have something called a minimum focusing distance, so you can't hold your lens a centimeter away from your subject and expect to come out with something decent (I'm not saying you did this at all, you did a great job keeping your bud in focus).

And three. Take as many pictures as humanly possible! When I go out shooting, 90% of my shots are total garbage. I mean, you could use them if you really wanted to, but there's no artistic merit to them at all. The less shots you take, the less chance you'll have of coming out with something great.

All right, all of these thoughts are starting to smell like burning rubber. Time for some breakfast!

:D:D:D

11. i have one of those round plastic things that fit on the front of my camera. but it always seems to block the shot and not work well.

12. It's too large for your lenses focal lengths. It only has to be long enough to block stray light from hitting the front glass element, so you'd be better off buying a shorter one.

When your lens hood is too large, it has a tendency of having a fisheye effect, which looks something like this:

[​IMG]

13. durchii's the man

14. Yep I KNEW durchii would come spittin knowledge in here :p

I want a seroquel coffee mug :(

15. its weird tho because it came with the camera. the effect isnt as bad as the pic you showed but it does cut off the bottom of pics. any other macro tips?

16. Tons.. after I get back from work in eleven hours.

:D