Machiavelli vs Hobbes

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by hendrix, Apr 28, 2009.

1. GC, the time has come for me to write another essay, and i have no time and 2 exams to get ready for, so any help will be greatly appreciated. also it may be fun to discuss these 2 philosophers, so everybody wins :D

Anyways, this is a comparative paper on Machiavelli and Hobbes (The Prince, Discourses and Leviathan)
    The professor advised us to discuss [FONT=&quot]human nature, the goals of politics, the preferred kind of state, and the role of religion in politics.[/FONT]

he gave us this as a guide:

Why does Hobbes identify the state of nature with the state of war? How do human beings get out of the Hobbesian state of nature? What kind of state is justified by the Hobbesian social contract?

According to Machiavelli, what are the goals of politics, and how does republican Rome excel at achieving them? What does Machiavelli mean by prudence?

[Note: In your paper, you should discuss the following ideas of Hobbes: state of nature, social contract and the sovereign.]

Im counting on you blades!!! :eek:

2. i'm of little use (other than a bump), but i just wanted to say.... machiavelli=dick.
    (at least from havin observed "machiavellian" behaviour)

now if only the hobbes were a stuffed tiger toy, i'd have more to say on that too. ^_^

dont rely soly on the blades, get yer ass parusing the internet, its amazingly full of info. more info rich than a library, open longer hours ('cept for the 24hr libraries) and you dont have to go as far for it. ;)

3. I wrote a paper on "The Prince" and how machiavelli relates to Shakespeare's "Henry V" just last week

I haven't gotten it graded yet but if you want I'd be happy to send it to you

4. Machiavelli wasnt a dick, he was just telling it how it is i think. dirty politicians...:p