Macbook Pro running hot

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by DutchX5, Dec 17, 2010.

1. I've had my MBP for about 2 years now and I've had this problem for a good while now. The bottom gets VERY hot when I watch videos. I literally can't stay on YouTube for more than 3 videos otherwise it gets so hot I can burn myself. Of course the fan is running wild too.

Is this a legitimate concern? Like could the computer overheat and get damaged? The warranty ran out so Apple can't really help me.

2. it means your computer is using up a lot of processing power, in turn generating heat.
    i wouldnt have any idea would be the root cause would be though.
    you should get that shit checked out.

are you having any problems with video speed or problems with anything else?

mine, which ive only had since june, started this back in july. i then found out an old print order from ms word was being constantly resent but not recieved by the printer, so it never stopped. this used my battery at a phenomenal rate, and made my computer very hot.

its always something stupid like this that happens.

3. 1) Don't use it on your lap hot.
    2) Yes overheating can destroy stuff quick however your apple likely has auto shut down which would protect it from being burned up.
    3) As long as the fan is running...I'd make sure to blow some canned air through the vents (do this when it's off)

Beyond that you should be okay. If the fan fails that can be replaced fairly cheaply.

4. This. For sure.