Mac vs. PC

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by SmokingFIRE, Sep 13, 2009.

1. So is AVG antivirus software or what?

2. Yeah it is

3. :D Hey man, you said it, not me.

4. There is so much wrong with this post...I had a bunch typed up but I'm not even gonna bother.

The fact is the only reason Mac fanboys love Macs is because they won't take the time to actually learn about PCs (Windows) and how to use one without fucking it over. The hardware is exactly the fucking same ever since Apple switched from PowerPC processors, except that Apple hardware is over priced.

Spending a grand on a PC will get you quality, spending a grand on a Mac will get you an underpowered pretty machine.

5. Can someone tell me what Windows hardware looks like? I had the false impression that Windows was an operating system... you know, software.

I even have Windows 7 running on my MacBook... hmm, something's not right here.

6. I said there was no difference in hardware between a system you can run OSX on and one you can run Windows on...

7. Right, you said PCs (Windows) in the post before this one. Macs (Windows) is true as well.

It seems people are alternating between Windows (OS - software) or PC (anything non-Apple produced - hardware) in making their arguments. Which will it be?

8. Because there are people complaining about the quality of PC hardware and systems compared to Macs.

9. so then the argument is stupid people shouldn't use PCs?

10. Mac OS X can run on this PC hardware you're talking about, and do it well. Are we having a hardware or software discussion?

There's plenty of PC hardware that sucks just like there's plenty of PC hardware that is good.

11. Its not that its easy to get a virus on a PC its just that people are extremely illiterate when downloading .exe's and download "FREE SMILEY FACES CLICK HERE". Then person goes "hmm well I sure would like those cute little smiley faces" *downloads* *installs .exe which contains virus*.OH NOES I HAS VIRUS.

Now that was a very crude demonstration but true none the less.

@bkadoctaj: I do not have an antivirus and have not had one for 7 years. I know what to download and what not to download as I have educated myself. My PC is left on 24/7 and still maintains the same speed everyday without a hitch. If I do feel my pc has obtained a virus I just use vista's built in windows defender to scan my pc.

12. I just dont see any pros for Macs, PC can do everything just as well for cheaper...

13. Always good to be happy with what you've got. :)

14. Do you realize the number of people that use PC's and the number of people that use Mac's?

As of August 2009:

Windows XP: 66.2%

Windows 2000: .9%

Windows 7: 2.5%

Windows Vista: 18.1%

W2003: 1.6%

Linux: 4.2%

Mac: 6.1%

I'm not trying to get around what I said but that leaves a hell of a lot more people to be stupid with PC's. But that doesn't mean that there aren't stupid people with Macs. The reason there are so many more stupid PC users is because PC's take up over half of the market share, and they are so much more common for everyday people.

15. Similar argument as to why people drinking do so much fucked up shit versus people smoking bud? Anyway, not trying to argue... It's good to see that Windows users are generally smart enough to stick with XP.

16. and whats wrong with vista? People claim that its slow and crashes a lot. But what they failed to realize is with advancing techonology they need to advance the hardware. I have never had any 'crashes' with vitsa or problems. When vista first came out the only problems there were was there wasnt drivers out for it and all drivers that were out were experimental.

And before you say that xp is better keep in mind that its been out many more years then vista getting to reach a state of stable drivers. Once xp was buggy, 'crashed' and required more hardware then windows 2000/98. So its just history repeating itself yet every new OS that MS comes out with is 'SHIT' and the older one is still better. Of course the previous OS is better untill the new one reaches a state of good drivers and everyone upgrades to the proper hardware. People stuck with windows 98 forever untill xp became stable. People that say vista is unstable have a very poor argument..

17. Yeah, I hear SP2 Vista was a lot better like SP2 XP. The main reason I think people are so critical of Vista is that number 1, it's a resource hog and bloated up the wazoo by default, and number 2, it took Microsoft, what, 8 years to get that hack of shit out?

18. Well i agree it did take a long time for them to come out with something that didn't reflect 8 years of work. But how do you consider it a resource hog? Every new OS takes up more and more resources. Compare the resources that windows 98 used compared to XP. Again im just gonna state that history repeats itself.

19. Windows 7 is smaller than Windows Vista.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard is smaller than Mac OS X Leopard.

It appears the two big corporations are finally getting it. :p

20. Yea but c'mon you've gotta admit how Windows PC's are so much more accessible and easy for the public to buy. Where all can you buy a Mac? The Apple Store and Best Buy. What about Windows PC's? Every-fucking-where lol. So if the average man/women wants to buy "a computar ta check that thar email" then guess what? Chances are they're gonna get a PC.

But yea I don't wanna argue as I acknowledge that Macs are awesome, and I wish I myself had one.