Mac vs. PC

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by SmokingFIRE, Sep 13, 2009.

1. #41 pmb6967, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
    Try and find out for me who exactly makes all the hardware for an apple computer. Chances are you wont find much. How then can you judge their product as quality?

That is the reason I stick to my Asus laptop. High quality shit all the way around/ with a standard 2 year strd warranty and 1 year accidental warranty to back it up.

You can schedual your defragging to occur when your not using your computer at regular intervals.
    And according to Apple and Microsoft both you only really need to defrag if you have large files (videos) or your hard drive is near full.

I couldn't agree with this statement any more. Ass hats get viruses because they are ass hats.

But I got to give it up to Apple, they have a growing share of the market. But that will also push more people to write malicious code for OS X and family.

2. Linux
    I hav'nt tried an OS X , but I'm sure I'd like it.

The only reason I use XP is Ableton Live

3. Well I can judge it as quality because multiple people in my family own them. My sister's Macbook Pro is amazing. When you look at it and hold it it feels like no other laptop. Everything on it is streamlined and nothing sticks out from the body. It also has much better battery life than any made for Windows laptop I've ever seen, and at the same time is 2 to 3 times thinner than Windows laptops with the same power. The OS's are ties for me, but the hardware for Macs is aesthetically pleasing which is always great.

4. The Macbook Pro's are really nice laptops, if I had the money for one I would definitely own one. Definitely the best enclosure for a laptop imo. Just sucks that they cost so much and generally you can get better hardware in a PC laptop for cheaper.

5. #45 Zylark, Sep 14, 2009
    Thing about Apple, is that the machines and OS they make, are the computer equivalent of gaming consoles. They work very well right out of the box for the limited set of features they are designed for.

Macs works wonderful for those with limited needs from their computers, and want those needs serviced in as user-friendly fashion as possible. And don't mind paying extra for that user-friendliness.

Just like with gaming consoles. The casual computer user will have much pleasure out of a Mac, just as a casual gamer will an Xbox360 or PS3.

Me, I like options. I also like getting the biggest bang for the buck. As such, Macs are out of the question for me.

The PC is an open market-place, with actual competition and freedom of choice. Macs in comparison are like a communist dictatorship.

Most the stuff I do on my computers, I can't do on a Mac without jumping through hoops first, if at all. And even then, not nearly as efficient.

- 3D network rendering w/Lightwave
    - Lights/Audio/Big-Screen automation w/Medialon Manager
    - Flash standalone projects with ability to locally save variables
    - Programmable visualization "Video-DJ" software with ability to interface with external controllers.
    - Games. Plenty of games, especially shooters, and supporting software such as TS and VT.

Other stuff I could do on Mac, like video editing, picture editing, browsing, light office work and all that. But my PCs can do that just as well as any Mac.

But credit where credit is due, Apple makes some really nice laptops, with great build-quality and design.

6. Im saying mac.

and this is my reason.
    I've had my MacBook for 4 years and it's only crashed on me one time. Every PC i've ever had wasnt shit after a year. I have no special virus scanners or any anti virus software at that, and my mac is still going strong. And i also have limewire and other p2p programs on my mac, i've had them all on there since the first month i bought it.

How many of you pc users can:
    Have no anti virus software.
    Have multiple p2p programs.
    actually use the p2p programs.
    and not crash but one time in 4 years?

enough said.....

7. My point was more about general operating system design.

The fact that Microsoft's "solution" to filesystem fragmentation to the degree Windows suffers (my experience is admittedly a little dated, the last Window OS I used was XP) is to release a special tool to mitigate the effects of the fragmentation is just bad engineering. Apple manages to release software that doesn't need regular defragmentation. So do the Linux kernel guys. And the BSD guys. What's Microsoft's problem?

Maybe my experience is a little dated. The last Windows OS I used was XP, but it definitely had fragmentation problems.

Your second comment confuses me a little. Apple commented about file fragmentation under Windows operating systems...?

8. You say graphic design, but i say with $1000, instead of getting a low end mac i could get a high end PC. With $1000 I can be dual core intel overclock the shit outta it, 4 gb ram, 512mb ddr4-5 gfx card, nice lookin case, fat hdd, and a nice cool system.

Less crashes, BS let me tell you i used a mac for 2 years in a graphic arts class. I find myself staring at the rainbow pinwheel waiting for photoshop to unfreeze/ long start up time. With the pc i have now(i paid 1000 lol) photoshop cs4 loads within 3 seconds ready to go.

Organized wise I would have to say that Macs are not superior organized wise. Windows, linux and mac os all have the same type of folders and hdd folders so there really isnt any advanced organising in either one to tip to a winner so i would have to say its tied.

Windows + cheap PC parts = ftw > (_)==D > mac

9. Vista and Win7 defrags automatically. Depending on settings, if you leave a Vista/Win7 machine alone for an hour or so, it will start optimizing files according to what are most used, and defrag. All to make often used applications and files load faster.

And to all the members in the cult of Jobs, provided you run a legit Windows that is up-to-date, Windows, even XP, is as, if not more, secure than OS-X.

As for viruses and malware, it costs you nothing to be well protected. Most Mac users however don't bother with protection. Meaning many Mac owners may be infested with something ugly, and don't know it.

It is not as if viruses and malware necessarily makes you aware of an infection. Modern such vermin, are done for criminal commercial purposes. Fishing out passwords and such. These things operate very stealthily. Unless you got protection, as most Windows users got, your computer might be compromised.

I grew up using Amiga, where viruses were common. I discovered more viruses on Amiga than I have ever on PC. So anti-virus is for me just common computer sense.

It is pretty hard getting a virus, unless you insist on using pirated software and cracks, or willy-nilly open executables in attachments to emails, that may contain just about anything malicious that you'd rather not want installed on your system.

My computers do not crash. There is a reason for that. They are well maintained, have proper protection and do not contain pirated software.

10. I actually do that. Both my laptops run Windows 7 RC, no anti-virus. And both have Limewire and uTorrent which I use daily.

PC's don't crash as often as people say they do. The only reason they crash is because most PC users are fucking stupid and click ads on websites and download stupid shit off Limewire or torrent programs that other people would know is stupid. If you know how to tell the difference between a legit and non-legit download/file/webpage then you won't ever get a virus.

11. #51 Bluntman00, Sep 14, 2009
    I hope you guys realize that the ONLY reason that Macs are less prone to viruses has absolutely nothing to do with the Mac itself, it has to do with the fact that the people writing these viruses realize that a whole shit load of people use PCs and much less use Macs, therefore they write their viruses in a PC format...

When you buy a mac your just paying extra for the OS, the people who make the hardware are the SAME PEOPLE who make the hardware for PCs, which is the person who will make the hardware the cheapest...

Its hilarious that the argument alot of these mac users have is that they dont want to take the time to learn how to properly operate windows, so they opt for a mac for the ease of use. So your saying that you dont even know about computers, but your going to argue to me that a Mac is better than a PC?

12. I'm gonna admit I don't know a lot about computers. But all I"m gonna say is all my friends who have macs(including myself) have never had a single problem with them, and my friends who own pc's have problems.

So i mean, the decision here seems simple doesn't it? Mac all the way.

13. i think its funny that recently windows has dropped using the name Vista, in their ads.

like there is some difference between vista and the new 7 that is coming out next month. its basically 7.2. there is nothing extremely different. just as the same as whats different between tiger and leopard on mac. other than when in the finder it looks more like the iTunes interface.

the things that you people are talking about how i can spend 1000 on low end mac or get a high end PC, basically its like getting a tattoo for cheap or going to a good quality shop and getting it done right the first time. if you get a tat for cheap then you will see the quality in a month after it heals up and you see all the spots they missed or the stuff that needs to be redone.

but with a mac, they get it done the first time and you dont need to worry so much about the maintenence. with the money im spending the first time around, sure its expensive, but then i dont have to spend extra money later on fees for anit malware, or spyware, or adware, or firewall shit.

in the average life of a pc or mac, just saying 3 cuz by then the shit os old and hardware is obsolete, you could have spent 2500 on an intel mac G5 and not worry about that extra crap you hae to buy for it, and it will be simpole enough for some one to use and not have to think about if i download this or that, will it fuck up my system?

but that same 2500 can buy you a super good PC then get your first few months of service on those anti-crap softwares then you either get slammed with fees, or you dont pay and have to deal with potential threats and then eventually shit starts to slow down and you now have an instantly obsolete machine that doesnt cut the mustard.

plus the fact that mac towers are easier to maintain, if i wanted to swap out ram cards or fans, or other shit, all i gotta do is pull a lever and the side opens up. but with PC, i gotta go and get my drill and the right sized bit to unscrew the nuts that keep the shell on it. then good luck trying to figure out where anything is at cuz its a huge mess inside.

so go for cheap. im not saying you made the wrong choice, just not the smarter one.

and i said before, i dont need to get onto my machine and have to figure out why something isnt working the way it should when i tell it to. then all the bullshit steps i will have to go thru in order to figure out whats wrong and then more steps in order to fix it. i just dont have the patience for that kind fo trash.

14. The smarter choice would be to learn how to operate a machine, and get more for your money. AKA a PC. Dude i took information technology classes for 4 years, my teachers used to laugh at mac users. Your getting yourself ripped just for eye candy and ease of use. There is absolutely nothing difficult about operating a PC, windows is actually a very dumbed down OS, its simple to use and takes no time to learn. And the whole virus argument is completely null anyway, i use all freeware programs and i have no viruses, never have. I torrent all the time, but i run weekly scans with a few programs which i have set to scan every week while im asleep, and i never have any problems.

15. No one says that having Windows means you will get a virus. It means you will get an antivirus.

16. correct

17. Oh really? I've never seen a PC case that require screws to open it up. They all pop open like your godly "Mac Tower".

18. This is stupid, the only way I can even understand this is that your saying you NEED an antivirus or it comes preinstalled on your computer.

First off, no operating system needs anti-virus software. STUPID PEOPLE need anti-virus software. I have NEVER had an issue with viruses and I download all day everyday.

As far as it coming on your computer, you can remove those pretty simply without hassle. Or do the smart thing, and build your own computer. Not only is it cheaper, but you'll get much better parts for your money.

Infact, for all the Mac people in here, I'm pretty sure you could build you own computer and just install a Mac OS and it would be a thousand times cheaper. I'm not entirely certain on this statement mostly because I don't know if Mac just sells it's OS(you could always torrent).

19. So you're honestly telling me indirectly that you have no antivirus software installed on your Windows PC? That to me sounds stupid.

20. You don't need anti virus software if you don't get viruses.

I install AVG every few months, scan once, if anything comes up I delete it (though I rarely have anything) then get rid of AVG for another few months.