Lyrics referring to Weed (60s/70s/80s)

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Lil Loko, May 6, 2007.

1. What are some songs that refer to weed (from the 60's, 70's, and 80's generations)?

All I know is Steely Dan "Hey Nineteen"...

But I know we have some hippie heads here that can shed some light on other songs...?!

2. The Velvet Underground's "I'm Wating for the Man" could probably be applied to marijuana.

3. What if God Smoked Cannabis - Bob Rivers
    That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Don't Step On The Grass - Steppenwolf
    Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 - Bob Dylan
    Henry - New Riders of the Purple Sage
    Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Willin' - Little Feat
    Don't Bogart That Joint - Holy Modal Rollers
    One Toke Over the Line - Brewer and Shipley
    Panama Red - New Riders of the Purple Sage
    Take the Money and Run - Steve Miller Band
    You Don't Know How It Feels - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

4. got to get you into my life - the beatles

5. Sweet Leaf - Black Sabbath
    Purple Haze - Hendrix

6. why werent these the first two mentioned? lol

i cant think of one right now so whatever.

7. Well, neither of those two songs contain a reference to marijuana

8. You aren't talking about sweet leaf and purple haze... Lol pot is in the title of the song

In fact thats what both songs are about :confused:

9. "Sweet Leaf" got its name from a pack of cigarettes and doesn't mention weed in the lyrics

"Purple Haze" is about a type of Owsley acid, the strain of marijuana was named after the song, not the other way around

10. Well if that's true I've been lied to all my life.

But just cause it got it's name from a pack of cigs doesn't mean the song wasn't an ode to pot.

Edit: Looked into purple haze, and sky dogs got me there :cool:

11. "Smoke Two Joints" was originally recorded by the Toyes in the early 80's I believe.

12. "Burning Airlines gives you so much more"- Brian Eno 1974, from the album "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy", the whole album is written in a lyrical code for a supposedly fictional dope smuggling ring...never made the pop charts but its super tasty and chock full of weed references, without ever saying it. Holds up well after 33 years, that's saying something!

13. "Light My Fire" - The Doors

14. thief.... i was about to post that

15. i swear sweet leaf is a bout herb lol. i should probably let this die before i make an ass of myself, but anyways i use this site for my useless facts about songs: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1300 and they seem to think that yes it was from a cigarette pack but they got the idea to use it as a song about toking, hence the coughing at the beginning (which is Tony Iommi coughing after inhaling marijuana smoke from a bong. Or at least according to that site)

16. I guess I'm just faster than you:cool:

17. 4+20 - Crosby, Stills and Nash