Lying to keep someone in line

Discussion in 'General' started by dirtybongwaterr, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Do you think it is okay to lie to someone to keep them in line?

My morality teacher asked the class this question, and almost half the class raised their hands. Remind me not to trust that half of the class...

So, what do you think? Is it okay to lie if you're supposedly doing them good by keeping them in line? (the gov't does this all the live long day)

BE HONEST!! Nobody will know what you specifically pick on the poll... just the general results.

2. No because that is what the government does to us every day and its sickening

edit: just saw the bottom of your post where you said that the government does it too, I completely agree. Its wrong and anybody that does it is a dishonest person...I believe that telling somebody the truth is the best way of controlling a person if anything

3. #3 Postal Blowfish, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
    You should weigh the potential effect of both the truth and the lie before deciding, and do whatever one causes less damage. Don't shortchange it though, anticipate as far into the future as possible.

I tend to lean away from telling big lies, but I'll tell little ones in some situations. If the true answer to a question doesn't really make any difference (like when its an opinion), and I expect that telling the truth will provoke a strongly negative response, I'll lie either by omission or outright to avoid it. I figure neither of us really wants to have a fight about it, and my opinion doesn't really matter to anyone but me.

On the other hand, if I've made a grave mistake, I will not lie to avoid taking responsibility. It usually catches up with you in the end anyway, and telling the truth can only help matters if the consequences were bad and my honesty is needed. Once I have done damage, trying to weasel out of taking responsibility can only add to the damage.

I spent the first ten years of my adult life trying to live it with a policy of truth and the truth is that I caused as much drama as any liar does by always being honest, so I try to go by anticipating the less damaging course of action now.

tldr: i would have raised my hand, but i still think of myself as an honest person. you can trust me to respect your wishes, and if one is to never lie to you, i could do that. (you would eventually hate me for it though)

4. I tell my nephew if he's not well behaved santa wont bring him presents.

Seems to work though:cool:

5. It depends on the situation and in what context it is in, so I didn't vote.

6. Hahah marijuana mail box!
    Anyways...yeah I agree with the above. There should be another option on that poll...like "in certain cases"

7. Nothing is black and white like this; there's the consequences of the lie, the person being lied to, the personal gain said lier receives from the deceiving, the gravity of the situation... There is no right or wrong answer to this question.

8. I think the answer is entirely situational. There is no simple answer. There never is.

9. lol wut

10. I wouldn't if someone wants to break the rules then its not my problem as long I'm not involved then I don't care we are all adults and should be able to choose right and wrong by now

11. yeah i agree with this...

there is lying about drugs or something.

and lying about santa.. see what i did there?

12. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about having to keep people in-line.

I said no, because I think that one should lead by example. Dishonesty will always have its consequences, whereas truth is pure. Everyone is equal as a person, so I don't think one person should be over-ruling on another in the first place. Does my vote still count?

13. #13 dirtybongwaterr, Jan 23, 2010
    Ha Santa is a perfectly good example.

The teacher was telling us how it's really harmful to society to make your kids believe in things like Santa and the Easter Bunny, because it teaches us to believe things for which there is no real proof. So later when you grow up, you're supposedly more likely to believe in things without seeking evidence. i.e.... That there are weapons of mass destruction in the middle east, or that "marijuana is bad" (to those who have never tried it, or tried to seek the truth... they just assume they know that marijuana is bad because thats what they were told)

14. No, thats just wrong. People have minds for a reason, allow them to assess their actions on their own..

15. My answer is based on the fact that I was raised in a christian house. I was brought up to believe in some god that doesn't exist and bought into the bullshit until I was smart enough to think for myself. Young minds are very impressionable - young and old, for that matter. I don't see the justification in dishonesty by any means.

/addon.

16. So you're an atheist/agnostic/not a christian, right? Do you enjoy arguing with the religious? If so, then honesty is for you. If you'd rather not waste your time, I think you might be able to find a justification to lie when one asks you if you've let the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart. If you tell the right lie, he'll leave you alone but you know if you don't answer or tell him the truth, he's going to want to pester you about his imaginary best friend and force you to dispose of a flyer or two for him.

Telling him a lie and accepting his congratulations has no apparent negative consequence while who knows how much time you waste if you do otherwise.

Just sayin, I think there are times when telling the truth isn't the best option you have, while at the same time is not likely to hurt anyone.

17. imo depends on the situation so i say yeah.
    sometimes i lie to people just for fun tho. like i could be right down the road from you but if im busy then i'll shoot the most ridiculous bullshit story you've evr heard in your life. today i told this kid i waz across town at the beach and our car got stuck in the sand so they had to call in the lifeguard helicopter and attach a sky hook to our bumper and lift the car out of this like 12 foot fuckin sand pit:rolleyes:

18. Name one of those situations.

I don't enjoy arguing with anyone religious. I don't like discussing religion at all, for that matter. It is pretty difficult, but I try to lead an honest life. Lying to me seems like a scapegoat.

19. #19 Postal Blowfish, Jan 23, 2010
    It's clear that you read the text that went before what you quoted, so why are you asking me to name one of those situations? The purpose of that text was to give you a hypothetical example. In other words, I already named one.

The lie in that situation is probably your best option, ie the option that wastes less of your time and likely keeps you out of a frustrating exchange, while at the same time neither of you are hurt because of it.

I can appreciate the noble intent of trying to live life as honestly as possible, I've been there. You can cause yourself a lot of problems living that way, or you can cause others problems. Sure, there is nothing morally wrong with telling the truth all of the time, but I've come to care more about the results the intentions than the morality. If I have good intentions and seek the best possible results, what should it matter if I lied?

20. Yes I read all of what you said. I was looking for a different example. If I didn't want to waste my time in that particular situation I wouldn't even bother to give him/her an answer.

edit: I hope I'm not coming off as some antagonizing asshole, I'm just trying to challenge you to look from a different perspective.