Lux help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fasthonda, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Just switched to the hlg 320 xl r spec and I’m using a lux app on my phone no matter how close or far away I get I’m only getting like 2300 unless my phone is angled at the tent wall then it goes way up in the range I’m looking for I’m thinking about ordering a lux meter but I’m not even really sure where to measure from and would the lux meter even help any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 tooslow, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    edit

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Depending on your phone model the light sensor chip might be capped at a certain level. That said, check on the app if you are using the front or back camera, im gonna guess you are using the main camera on the back but have the phone facing up so you are reading the light looking down instead of up. check on the app there will be a button to switch cameras. Also make sure your lense is clean. If none of that helps you might have a phone that cant read higher.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have it on the front facing camera pointing up at the light it isn’t capped because I took it outside yesterday and when it was in sunlight I skyrocketed and when I angle it towards the walls of the tent it goes up pretty good to like 45-70k lux it is just under the lights it doesn’t go high at all

5. [​IMG]
    just for $35? on amazon gives great piece of mind more accurate than the $$$$ you get too
    their is a technique for using a photo light meter but have forgotten the method, it was years ago

cheers/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ah... a hundred years of technological advance!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. #7 tooslow, Jun 5, 2019
    edit

8. That isn’t really any help to my question man

9. That one does a lot better but still not seeing 60k lux unless I’m right at the lights

10. Damn I got a 320 watt in a 2x4

11. #13 fasthonda, Jun 6, 2019
    Could I be losing some lux with the deep red from the r spec that the meter isn’t picking up

12. Try taping/holding a piece of tissue paper in front of the camera lens.

13. Can't trust a phone no matter what. Uses a camera and not a meter. Secondly tuning for wavelengths are probably way off.

14. I got a lux meter so been getting way more accurate readings

15. Yeah so if you get a lux meter for LED specifically that should be better. Most are probably for LED now. About 5 years ago you could buy a regular one and it was tuned for fluorescent so LED got bad readings on it. If you add deeper reds though it won't register well on your lux meter. True quantum par meter is the best way but they are pricey. Glad things worked out.