Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lung Problems

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by sektr, Mar 3, 2013.

1. I've been smoking at least once daily for the most part for a bit over a year now. Vaped for about 4 months then switched to smoking again as the vape high wasn't as "full".

Now a few months back, I started smoking cigs for the first time. Never HEAVILY smoked, mostly weekends and like 1 or 2 through the week, but as an asthmatic it affected my lungs more quickly and I started coughing up "shit lumps", or little balls of what appeared to be tar.

This led me to quit, and within a week my lungs felt good again.

However, I started smoking weed again after that week, and ever since every time I take a bong rip within a minute or two I cough in a really phlegmy sounding way, but when I spit, either nothing comes out or there are a few specks of a golden brown substance, it almost looks like really light colored BHO but I don't dab....

This doesn't happen with joints, only when I rip the bong and for a few hours afterwards, then I'll intermittently have a similar cough once in awhile throughout the day.

I figure my lungs just need a break, but does this happen to anyone else? How long of a t-break should I take to let my lungs get themselves back in order? Worth seeing a doctor to see if it's a lung infection? (My friend had one and had to go on antibiotics but he was hitting poppers daily)

2. It happens to every person who has saliva in their mouth,throat, nose etc who adds smoke to the equation, ie, anyone who smokes.

Look at any chimney and then look at your dirty bong and then realize that's what your lungs look like, why wouldn't they, you're doing the same thing.

It's not a lung infection. It's phlegm and tar/smoke residue left in your lungs, nasal cavity, throat and spit/tongue.

Smoking cigs makes it A LOT worse. Taking a t break for a few weeks will return you to normal. Vaporizing will definitely help as opposed to smoking. Smoking cigs should be avoided IMO....

My experience is that I have a lung disease, so I've read a lot about this junk.

Bottom line, if you smoke anything at all, expect to have some effect on the body parts I've already mentioned.

3. Definitely off the cigs for good, never really had the chance to get hooked on em and I'm thankful for that.

That being said, I dunno how true it is that I should be coughing up tar/smoke residue EVERY SINGLE DAY not to mention every time I hit the bong. I have a ton of friends who smoke significantly more than me that have no such problems.

4. your lungs look like a dirty chimney is a bit of a bad comparison because a chimney doesn't produce phlegm. but poke is spot on with everything else. even if you don't smoke cigs, after so many bong rips your going to start coughing stuff up. i've been smoking for almost a decade now and i barely get what you describe anymore cos my lungs are so layered in shit (from other drugs and cigs unfortunately)

coughing is the only way our lungs can clean themselves. don't freak out thinking your lungs are black and shriveled up and you're going to die. it takes very many many many years for something like that to happen in most cases.

what surprising to me is i can still run a mile in a decent amount of time (8 mins, 7 mins being my personal best) just as i did when i didn't smoke. don't get me wrong though, it took me weeks to get back down to 8 mins. my lungs felt very tight and sore for those first couple weeks. so its definitely a coin flip for different people.

5. How clean is your bong? The dirtier the bong, the harsher the smoke's gonna be.

But beyond that, my main advice is a vaporizer, although you already tried that and weren't satisfied... so, I dunno man. What vaporizer did you try? I know some people just prefer the high from smoking, but I'm quite content strictly using a vape. Being fairly physically active, I don't notice the negative effects on my lungs like I got from smoking.

6. Used a DBV and Da Vinci, so both a very solid desktop and portable. The high just isn't the same to me, it's nowhere near as relaxing or "full", even at high temps.

Even if it is normal, my lungs have been noticeably tighter lately too so I figure I should give em a little break. Would two weeks be long enough to clear them out and let them heal up a little bit, or should I give them a full month? I also just got back on my basketball training regimen last week so my physical conditioning will be improving greatly over the next 1-2 months.

7. [quote name='"sektr"']

Definitely off the cigs for good, never really had the chance to get hooked on em and I'm thankful for that.

That being said, I dunno how true it is that I should be coughing up tar/smoke residue EVERY SINGLE DAY not to mention every time I hit the bong. I have a ton of friends who smoke significantly more than me that have no such problems.[/quote]

Hey man, you def shouldn't be coughing everyday I've had asthma since birth and also smoke cigs but the only time I've had coughing fits was when the smoke wasn't filtered enough wat kind of bong do you have? Investing in one with multiple levels of filtration might be in the best interest keep us updated good luck man

8. I have an EFS custom double gridded donut hahahahah trust me it's not the bong.

Doctor said it might be a lung infection.