Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lung issues intersecting with the pot smoker

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Spiritdance3, Jun 1, 2009.

1. So today I had to go to the doctor because I was sick, and I found out I have a bronchitis and asthma. This is the third time I've had lung related issues in the past year and a half. I went ahead and told my doctor that I had been smoking pot for about five years, and he wasn't really surprised. I asked him if he thought that the weed had anything to do with the lung problems I've been having. He said, "well smoking doesn't exactly help the problem" but didn't offer much in the way of support or dejection.

Have you had any interaction with medical doctors about lung problems? any connections? Will varying forms of smoking or ingesting pot work better? I've tried quite a few ways, vapo, joint, blunt, bong, pipe, apple, brownies/cookies, etc... If you know anything about the afffiliation, whether it be good or bad or neutral I would be interested. I'm starting to think maybe I need to change things up, or severely lower my habits. I'm up to about 3 bowls a day. (so a break could be nice for lowering my tolerance).

The nurse stopped me on the way out and he told me that it might be a good idea to quit if I was having problems. They're flair ups tho, and the doctors have never said that smoking weed hurts. I don't smoke cigs.

2. Common knowledge: smoking anything is bad for your lungs.
    (Why? Carcinogens, tar, etc.)

Some studies indicate vaporizing may actually strengthen lungs and/or prevent lung cancer- I haven't seen anything that has thoroughly convinced me of that, but I do believe based on what I've read that vapor is HARMLESS and will not create or exacerbate lung problems.

Edibles are also perfectly safe for your lungs, so if I were in your position I would stop smoking (no joints, no blunts, ditch your bong and pipe) and switch to vaporizing and edibles only.

3. #3 Storm Crow, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
    I think these may hold the answer to your questions-

Vaporization as a smokeless cannabis delivery system
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Smokeless Cannabis Delivery Device Efficient And Less Toxic
    Smokeless Cannabis Delivery Device Efficient And Less Toxic

Volcano is to Vaporizer As Porsche is to Automobile
    CCRMG

Recommendation to Patients: "Don’t smoke, Vaporize"
    CCRMG

Decreased respiratory symptoms in cannabis users who vaporize.
    Decreased respiratory symptoms in cannabis users who vaporize.

Use of vaporizers reduces toxins from cannabis smoke
    IACM-Bulletin

Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study

Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study

I have a little Vapor Brother's that I am quite happy with- silent, small, durable and efficient.

And if you want to try edibles (slow onset, long high)- something here will please you.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=7602&highlight=elixer

Learning can be fun!

Granny :wave:

4. Well yea, I didn't mean to imply that I was unaware of the bad things in pot. My bad. I meant more along the lines of, can smoking weed cause you to have chronic lung issues? Of course tho, this is a case by case basis. I was hoping that anyone else out there who might have lung problems might respond and lend their insight, although both of ya'lls has been helpful. so thanks! :D

5. I have had asthma and bronchitis since I was 6 months old. It worsened when I was in my early years, up until I was about 9, when it was fully controlled by substances you may be familiar with, like albuterol, ventolin, etc.

Up until last year I would use the albuterol machine (the one that shoots out vapor), and it would help, but leave me all fucked up and my lungs always felt soooo heavy afterwards, it increased my heart rate and I would get super dizzy.

I have replaced albuterol with mj, and I use my bong. I take small, very slow hits. I get an awesome high, it clears my lungs, stops my coughs and although it does increase heartrate, I'd rather get an awesome high and no lung pain!

I have yet to try a vape, but I gotta tell you, I'm swearing by my bong. I'm probably never going to use albuterol again.

I'm now 22 and have been using the bong as cure for about a year, but the cool thing is that it actually feels like my lungs are a whole lot stronger, so I have used it for cure less and less and so I smoke my j's with care, but ciggs do fuck me up. Smoking ciggs is terrible for bronchitis and asthma.

Hope this helps. I'd love to know if anyone else uses bong to help their asthma.

6. dino, try a vape! You will love it. My hubby has had asthma since he was a kid. He rarely smokes because vaping is so superior.

And if you stop smoking and just vape, the lung problems go away. :hello:

Granny :wave:

7. I don't tell doctors I smoke anymore. As soon as they hear that they totally shut off and get into this rant "WELL, that's all that is wrong with you, cut that out and get the hell out of here". Sure, not all doctors operate like that, but in my experience as soon as they find out I smoke I lose most hope of being taken seriously and am quickly labeled as a hypochondriac pothead with no real problem.

But yeah, if you're battling some lung issues, stop smoking, learn how to cook, and get a vaporizor. Fortunately for me, I seem to have magic lungs. :) If you smoke cigs, the docs are right about that, cut that shit out immediately.

8. This is a really bad idea.

If a doctor reacts like that... find another doctor... but for fuck's sake do not withhold information that could affect how a doctor might treat whatever your illness is. There are many doctors out there who do realize the medical benefits and are completely cool with it. And other's who smoke themselves.

You are only going to make things worse for yourself by not telling them things.

People have this same issue with their lawyers where they will lie to their lawyers, not realizing that they are severely hurting their chances of having things work out by doing so.

And yes... vaporize... I recommend the silver surfer.

9. take a break from the bong, use edibles

10. +1 for Vapor Bros. I love that thing more than any "appliance" in my house. The waterpipe study was interesting to me, thats all I used before, now I hate it since vaporizing.