Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

lung capacity...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by BlueMoon890, Nov 14, 2006.

1. since i have started smoking bud, i smoke a couple times a day, and i have gotten to the point to where my lung capacity is probably about a tenth of what it used to be, it really scares me sometimes, i have minor heart pains too, andyone else get these? also if i start running and exercising and eating healthier, and quit for a week or two will my capacity get better?

thanks guys.

2. I thought weed was suppose to makie your lungs bigger and no i havent had any of those problems.

3. Being a regular pot smoker I have definetly had my fair share of chest / lung pains. The best things to do is: take a tolerance break, use a vaporizer, use a water pipe, get used to it, relieve the pain by medication, or respiratory exercises. The most common pain I experience is a dull pain in the chest. As I inhale more air, the pain grows stronger. It pretty much goes away in about 1-3 days.

And about the lung capacity thing, I have no idea. I can still hold my breathe for around a minute, which is the same length I have been able to hold it since I was a kid.

4. Have you tested your lung capicity to see it is really less, or does it jsut feel like less? I think that dry pieces are the harhest on your lungs, even compared to blunts because the blunts allow the smoke too cool while it goes through the weed instead of a glass tube. Blunts though can make your lungs feel kinda gunky.

And I get those chest pains, alot of people do. It has to do with stress and normally for me atleast seems to come around if I hold in hits for longer times, smoking causes stress on the heart so those pains happen more when you just smoked.

5. I have to disagree about blunts being less harsh than pipes, because the additional burning of the tobacco leads to a harsher smoke. And I am pretty sure marijuana wouldnt filter or lower the temperature of the smoke, but I could be wrong.

6. yes, in short if you eat healthier, exercise more and take a break, your lungs will feel a ton better.
    when it comes down to it, its all about balance though, as long as you make a real effort to do some good cardio work, and keep the smoking in check your lungs will suffer a bit, but be ok.
    the tolerance break makes a huge difference. lungs naturally remove tar (though this ability is weakened somewhat from smoking), and after a week or two you will notice a big difference. unfortunately the same problems will come back pretty quickly, but good exercise will keep the lungs a lot stronger, and eating healthier will do the same for the whole body.

good luck with it, remember that if the problems become REALLY serious, you should quit smoking immediately (at least temporarily) and see a doctor about it. And if you do, dont be embarassed to say that you smoke pot regularly, most doctors arent going to be shocked by hearing patients smoke pot, and they will at least be happy to here that its not cigs.

7. take a break for 3 weeks and jog or run each day and also try to walk more and do other basic exercises... make sure to keep up some of the exercise even when you start smoking again...

8. Dont just exercise for a week, try to do it for life man, to stay safe and alive.

9. I've smoked for a year and i've played badminton for ages now..5+ years.
    I've combined marijuana with my other passion-badminton.i'm smoking at camp and stuff ...
    Don't be a lazy pothead who smokes all day...
    move your butt ;).

10. i dont know b 4 the weather turned shitty me and 4 of my freinds would smoke about 4 blunts(usually) than go to the park and play two or more full court backet ball games and im 6'1 240 pounds. i get tired but ive never had problems with lung capstivity

11. I was trying to figure out how to explain what I meant, and the thing with pipes is you can easily suck pieces of ash, weed, shake possibly still cherried through the piece and into your throat, a blunt this doesn't happen since theres all the weed blocking it. A screen would probally stop that with a bowl but most poeple don't have screens.

And as far as cooling the smoke Have you ever noticed that when you spark a blunt, the hits are much cooler than when you smoke the last inch of the blunt? Its partly because the blunt heats up, but its also because the smoke has less space to travel before it enters your lungs, therefore less time to cool down. The reason I think it cools more than a bowl of say the same length is because the smoke has to go through the weed like a cig filter, whereas a bowl is a straight shot to you.