Lumens

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bmxodysseymike, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Im using cfls Have a 16sq ft space how many lumens should I have per sq ft?

2. No less than 3,000 Lumens/ Square foot is what I have heard repeatedly.

3. ^I've seen that tossed around too, but personally I wouldn't do less than 5k/ft. For comparison, the sun is 10k/ft.

4. Alright thanks guys I didn't have anything to compare off of now I think my set up is alright I'm pushing close to 50k lumens and still have sockets with a single bulb in em so I'll just fill those up :)

5. except cfls do close to nothing unless they are within a few inches of the plant

6. [quote name='"bcolt09"']except cfls do close to nothing unless they are within a few inches of the plant[/quote]

Agreed. I'm an HID guy myself

7. Agreed why I think if your growing anything beyond about 2 plants just not worth using CFLs. Need to many and if the plant gets big which is the hope usually of any grower you end up having to have add a billion of them.

CFLs would be good for post holocaust growing low..low energy and you can find them everywhere!

8. Agreed. I's an HID guy also. I don't really understand why anyone uses cfls. You could use them, but it would take probably 100 cfl bulbs just to fill your 16 foot area that you are trying to cover. I would say at minimum you want 6000 lumens per sq foot, but you want to get closer to 10,000 lumens per sq foot since that is what the sun is capable of production. More light equals more bud. A 1000 watt MH/HPS light would work fine for your area. It would be slightly larger than needed, but there is nothing wrong with getting more light than needed as long as the growing conditions are not too hot. Cool tubes work great to pull the heat away.

9. Agreed. I grow with high output LEDs but before that MH/HPS and with CFLs I just cant see going through the hassle for each plant being that usually plants grow big and eventually you will have to have CFLs on top, sides and near the bottom. Well you dont have to but if you want any considerable yield you do. If your fine with a half a zip and a small plant then CFLs are good. If whatever you harvested was not enough and growing is a game like it is for many then you'll want to increase your yields with every grow and HID or high output LED is the way to go.

10. Lets just say CFLs are well suited for noobs and very short plants haha. But really they are not bad for seedlings and small veg plants.

11. Agreed.

12. I love T5 for veg, but nothing compares to HID for flower

13. Yup i plan on getting the one with the nice hood as well. Cant wait til im running dual 600 watters

14. [quote name='"hello ladies"']

I run the better version, with the 6" ducted hood

love it so far, no complaints at all[/quote]

I was thinking about getting that one but my area is in my closet and i don't think I need to run ducts cause I run a box fan on my plants all day and that I think would be enough to keep it cool?

15. probably

with my door closed and duct running I only go up 10F or so, this will be fine once my house starts dropping into the 60's at night during winter, I'll be able to lock the door and not worry about nosy friends fucking up my light cycle, little extra security, don't have to remember to close it at night/open in the morning, etc

16. [quote name='"hello ladies"']
    probably

with my door closed and duct running I only go up 10F or so, this will be fine once my house starts dropping into the 60's at night during winter, I'll be able to lock the door and not worry about nosy friends fucking up my light cycle, little extra security, don't have to remember to close it at night/open in the morning, etc[/quote]

That's the thing I don't wanna put holes in my doors but I would like ducts I have about a 1-1 1/2inch gap under the door. Could possably make something out of sheet metal to make that work but idk

17. I suck thru my door gap and vent thru a hole in the ceiling. Works great, I can blow a bong rip at the door and it'll shoot down and suck in that floor gap :bowdown:

check my thread in my sig for a pic, last page

18. [​IMG][/IMG]

Here she is :)