Lumens for my Box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MrBudget, Mar 7, 2015.

1. My box is about 1.5 square feet, and I'll have 1 auto bean going in a 1 gal pot.

How many lumens do I need? I'll be using cfls and a screen of green, so is it possible to over do the lumens?

2. What type of light are you planning on using?

3. Cfl bulbs

4. I'm pretty sure u need 2000 lumens per sq foot or better so that would be about 2 23watt CFLs per sq foot so atleast 3 but I guarantee you'll want more u really can't over do it on light but u can over do it on heat so just watch your temps and you'll b good to go
    The more light n the better light coverage the better your yield will be as I'm sure you know

5. Yep, well thank you! That helps a lot, I think I'll go with two 2.7k lumen cfls for good measure. :) I wasn't sure if I could over do it or not with cfls, I know with led bulbs to much light will wash out your plants.

6. You need a lot more than 2000 per square foot.. more like 10000+ lumens per square foot. I use 12 cfl bulbs 8 2700k and 4 5500k and I'm still not satisfied lol.

Attached Files:

7. #7 MrBudget, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    Hmn.. well I've got to pay for power, so 10k+ is not really an option..

8. You can not over do it with cfl's... as long as you keep your temps in check, the more light the better.

9. And just to double check, 75-80F is our sweet-spot? :)

I don't have a timer yet, will 24/0 be detrimental to an Auto? I know 16/8 is ideal.

Yes, 75-80 is good. You shouldn't have any issues using 24 hr light for the first 2-3 weeks from seed.

11. Bro if you can afford a home/place to grow indoors, you can afford cfl power cost.. trust me. My bill with computers tv etc AND 16 cfl is around 70. If you can't make that, why even grow. Real shit.

12. Where I'm at I'd pay 3 times that is what I'm saying.. power ain't cheap here. :/

13. Yeah that's y I go with LEDs I have 4 autos under 1200 watts which seems to be just enough and I also have a 250 hps in there too but u get maximum lumens with minimal power and heat with the LEDs I'm hooked lol

14. I pay about 12 cents per kwh.. where the hell do you live that power is 30+ cents lol! That must suck.