Luckiest Courtroom experience EVER!

Discussion in 'General' started by DirtyPete, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Okay, so this is kind of a long story but bear with me because I am extremely happy right now and wanna share my story.

The day before Saint Patricks day I woke up smashed and tried to drive home. I ended up running into a fence and getting my car stuck. Long story short, I got a DWI and blew a .18 at 12 in the afternoon.

In November of 2005 I had also gotten pulled over and blew a .09, which I got reduced to a DWAI (driving while ability impaired) seeing as it was my first offense. However, then I was under 21 so I got my license revoked for a year.

So In January of 2007 I finally got my license back, which made me getting this most recent DWI all the more shitty.

So in the span of 2 years I had gotten 2 DUI's, and I thought for sure I was completely fucked. I looked up the laws online and saw that I Was facing 1,000-5,000 dollar fine, up to 90 days in prison, a revoked license for no less than a year, and a misdemeanor charge.

Today I had my court date, and I thought for sure I was going to get fucked. I got a public defender and he pretty much told me right beforehand that I was fucked. He was like "2 DUI's in 2 years, you know they're going to string you up right?" And he even made the motion with his tie like he was getting hung, lol.

So anyway I get up there and he has me sign the plea deal, and they start talking about a DWAI and revocation for 90 days pending DDP (Drunk Driving Program). I am like astonished, because I was supposed to be getting a DWI coupled with a big law dick up my ass. So after I sign it my public defender turns to the prosecuting attorney and is like "Didn't you tell me he had a prior DWAI?" And the prosecutor didn't know. So the judge was like "Let me look, yes he did".

But because I had already signed the plea agreement there was nothing they could do. I got off the hook big time. 500 dollar fine and revocation for 90 days, no probation, no jail time, no nothing. A DWAI is only a traffic violation, so it's not even on my record.

LIFE IS GOOD!

2. HAHA OH MY GOD , OWNED.

good job dude omfg.

3. Why would your PD ask the PA after you got off good and not just let it go. Sounds like he was joking around, especially at the tie thing, but I don't like people joking around about serious shit like that, especially at my expense... super especially when it comes out expensive.

Great you got off easy though. Even though it's a slap on the wrist maybe you should chill with the drinking and driving.

4. congrats. you win.

5. ... by the hair on your chinny chin chin :smoking:

fucking pigs

6. Wow man. I actually laughed out loud after reading that. Fucking congrats. I'm sparkin one up for you. And i suggest you spark up like 10.

seriously though. glad you got lucky!

EDIT: On a more serious note, drinking and driving is shitty. Not to sound like your mom, but i'd stay away from that shit. thats fucking crazy that you were still that drunk the next day.

7. congrats man, nice break. just keep proof of everything you have had to do to get and keep your license. I got 2 OUIs (same as DUI) in Maine back in '92 and '93. took care of it all many years ago, and had my license back for a long time. now, I'm not even a drinker. I have a beer or two every now and again but never more than that, I just can't take the hangovers. anyways, about 3 months ago I got a letter stating my license is suspended for these same OUIs. I don't have the proof that I took care of this shit, so until I can afford all the BS again, my license is gone. keep everything, forever. peace

8. holy wow, that's awesome. gotta love it when the system fucks itself.

smokingjoe, I'm in a somewhat similar situation right now, though your situation is definitely worse. I'm still pissed at mine. I got a fat ass speeding ticket (94 in a 70. Damn you Jeep for not making cruise control standard!!!) 4 years ago. I paid my little fine, did defensive driving, the whole nine. I get my confirmation of completion and all that, kept it for like a year, then tossed it. I got a letter from a law firm a week ago that said I owe the county a grand total of 800 dollars, for the ticket, and then 2 subsequent failure to appears. I called the law firm to see what was up, they told me i was fucked out of 800 bucks, but it didn't sound convincing. I'm calling my cousin who's a lawyer next week when I'm off work to see if there's anything he can do, but man can i not afford 800 dollars any time soon. I'm trying to get a new place.

9. To everyone who suggested I don't drink and drive anymore, I'm waaaay ahead of you. It's never going to happen again.

Smoking and driving, well that's a horse of a different color. :smoking: