Lucid Dreaming

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by kins11, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Firstly, I know I am making a few posts all at once but they're regarding entirely different topics and I like to get things rolling so I have lots to read. =)

Anyway, who's into lucid dreaming? I developed an interest in it after seeing the movie "Waking Life", which, I completely adore, and if you have not seen it, I highly recommend it!

I have had only 3 or 4 successful attempts, and my problem is usually that I first realize that I am lucid, then will begin to float, or hover, or something fun like that, and then become so god damn excited to know that I am lucid that I wake myself up. It sucks.

Also, I use the technique mentioned in the film, of testing light switches, which I also try to do occasionally in my waking life, to remind myself that I never REALLY know whether I am awake or not. This method seems to work for me and it is, in fact, how I knew I was lucid all 3 of 4 times that I have been.

For those who don't know: lucid dreaming is the concept of developing a sudden awareness, while dreaming, that you ARE dreaming, and therefore being able to control your dream world. I have heard of people who live entirely separate lives in their dreams, with unique families, jobs, homes, and whatever the hell they want, frankly. That is definitely some skill.

2. very awesome subject :)

3. Very interesting topic. This is something I would enjoy learning more about. Do you know of any good websites/books on this? I would love to read up on it. :)

4. http://www.dreamviews.com/

Attached is an e-book my friend passed on to me

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Check out this podcast, guys. (It's available in mp3 format.)

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/01/stevepavlinacom-podcast-010-lucid-dreaming/

Also, I can give a guide for those who are entirely new to learning how to go lucid (if you'd rather read this than download the podcast):

1.) First step is to familiarize yourself with your dreams and dreaming habits. It's preferable to start a dream journal a few weeks, or if you're feeling particularly centered with yourself at the time, a couple of days. For most people, it requires a definite redeveloping of the relationship with the self as a "dreamer". The reason for this is that the dreamworld has become a neglected and underappreciated area of all our minds in this society, and it can be difficult to break the habit of leaving these areas of yourself unexplored. As far as I am aware, it is unclear why our culture puts so little value in the visions we see in our dreams. (Perhaps we're experiencing loss of direction and/or purpose as a society, so we put none of our faith in what our mind's own imagery provides us? Maybe we're just not self-aware enough, as a collective, to be able to take an interest...? Who knows.) The dream journal will aide you in learning to recall and remember your dreams.

2.) Once you've begun remembering between 3 to 5 of your dreams per day (ones you are able to recall throughout the day), make the decision to attempt a lucid dreaming session the next time you fall asleep. Lucid dreaming typically requires that you go through at least one sleep cycle (3 hours).

3.) Once you are asleep, you will soon be dreaming, and you, as you typically are, will not be aware of it. The idea is that, though you are sort of on "movie" mode where your mind just plays out it's random imagery, you are also still conscious and merely in a state of bodily rest. If you're in a house (in your dream, of course), move toward the nearest light switch and flip it on and off. If no effect is made from doing so, or the light turns off while you turn it on, and vice versa, or some weird variation of reality is occuring, remind yourself that you MUST be dreaming. You can also approach lamps, or other forms of lighting, or clocks. Clocks usually appear skewed or blurry and do not display the proper time. (It's trippy. Try it out.)

4.) Now, if you have developed the awareness that you're in a dream, move around! Try climbing up a wall, floating, flying, moving things with your "mind", etc. Just try what you are intrigued by.

If this doesn't work for you, continue to keep a dream journal and try again when you feel ready. It will work eventually.

I forgot to mention, too, some people lucid dream naturally, and have been able to do so for years, or for as long as they can remember. I don't know the statistics but i'd imagine there are very few of these people.

Anyway, i'm incredibly wordy, and a liiiittle bit high, so, my apologies if this was a bit long. =)

K

• Like Like x 1
  6. there's always quite a few lucid dreaming posts going on in GC, its a pain to post them all. I'm a decent lucid dreamer, I've been doing it for quite some time now. I'm sure a search would bring up a few of my experiences if you were interested. You can do some weird stuff after you gain the discipline to explore the dreamworld beyond the normal lucid dreaming experiences of fighting fucking, flying, etc.

7. Oh man lucid dreaming. This shit is like the loading program in the matrix.

The few lucid dreams ive had were always extremely fun and exciting.

I find smoking weed does diminish my dreaming ability however.

Im bout to order some of those dream herbs like mugwort and shit i cant wait to start lucid dreaming again.

I notice that the rare moments i get to fuck a chick in a lucid dream it doesnt really feel too good cuz im rolling all over my dick in my bed and i can feel it in the dream.

One good method: If youre in a dream hold your nostrils shut and try to breath, if you can still breathe youre definitley lucid dreaming. Very weird sensation!:)

8. the problem is, when i go to sleep, deep sleep, i dont have dreams..

then in the mornings before i wake up, i get dreams once a while, maybe three times a week i get dreams, some of them is soo bizarre but i always forget when i wake up or dont think bout it.. i still remember 2 dreams, in my entire life, and they are the most bizarre, when i get the bizarre dreams, usually i remember them then over time i forget...

9. i did that last night, and 2 nights ago. i do this quite often.

a few years ago i had deja vu for a good 6 months straight, i think my brain works very weird. i also used to dream and be awake at the same time when i was very sick. i could see the tv and have a parallel world going on inside my dream that kind of has to do with with whats on.

10. yea, i keep getting those alot recently

like one time, i was talking to this girl and we were having this converstion, then at the end, i told her, did we have this converstion before, she said, what! no, ure crazy

11. FYI, for those who say they aren't dreaming, EVERYBODY dreams at night, up to 6 times, or even more. You just aren't remembering them. Start a journal!

• Like Like x 1
  12. i have lucid dreams quite often... i think i always have... i would talk about it and people would say oh thats lucid dreaming... then my girlfriends aunt gave me a book on it. it came with some "meditation and dream cream" its some kind of goo, it says dot onto third eye or any chakra center to enhance visions, dreams, an meditation." says it contains energized crystalline compounds, and lavender oil. i kind of lauged when she gave me this with it. i still have it, ive never tried it though. i wonder if i should give it a try just for the hell of it lol. i love to have super human powers in my dreams, i fly alot... sometimes i fly out of the atmosphere and into space.... then i have a lot of lucid dreams where im in a maze, and it fully lucid, i can walk though doors... but i never get anywhere, so in a way its lucid, but i didnt have full control.... my fav thing to do in lucid dreams is try to find people to talk to, because i know that im dreaming, and i know whoever i talk to will be a creation of my own mind, it makes me cruious to what im saying to myself lol.... i did have one lucid dream where i was visited by a diceased loved one.... they didnt really do much of anything but sit there and smile .... it was strange, kind of comforting ... man i got on a big ramble. that spice gold makes you really talktive lol

13. crazy sensation, ive had a dream where I could breath underwater before and I bet this was similar.

14. That's awesome. The next time I go lucid I will have to try this.

Anybody else have any awesome ideas for things you could do while lucid dreaming? I mean, the possibilities are infinite.

15. i've only consciously became lucid a few times..whenever it happens it is usually a fluke. sometime in mid-dream i usually notice something so crazy and fantastic that i realize i am in a dream.

as soon as i come to this realization, for the most part i get overly excited and wake myself up. sometimes though i make it as far as testing the waters of the dream reality. i usually do things like back flips or flying, though sometimes i appeal to my sexual desires and have a little fun with dream girls:p

one of these days i will start to condition myself again so that hopefully i will be able to become lucid more regularly..

i've read a lot into another subject which greatly intrigues me and sort of ties into this subject. astral projection is an amazing subject and i've read many books about peoples experiences travelling all over the world and universe. even claims that people during astral projection can interact with the physical world.

16. I found a lot of cool torrents on the subject :)

Even found a binaural brainwave mp3 for lucid dreaming. Will check it out.

17. #18 Key2gb, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
    I actually just started keeping a dream journal for this reason....I have had breakthroughs before...now just trying to gain control - I have been doing a bit of reading on Astral Projection too....

my goal during the Lucid state is to be able to stay there and perform a few techniques, mostly chakra balancing exercises, while my mind is in such a susceptible state....on top of all the flying...etc...

edit: I have a binaural beat torrent too, it's an hour long (from isohunt I think)...anyway I have yet to try it so let me know

18. That sounds very interesting. That would have to feel awesome to know your dreaming but you can control whats going on dam that would be crazy.

19. I'm trying to enhance my ability to do this so that I'll be able to do it at will on a regular basis. I've had pretty limited success with becoming lucid although I'm remembering more of my dreams than I ever have in my life at this point, my dream journal is thickening every day.

If people are interested I will post some excerpts of really effective methods of inducing lucid dreams, along with some substances that will really boost your capacity to have them.