Lucid Dreaming In Depth

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Reflection Eternal, Jan 21, 2009.

1. #1 Reflection Eternal, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    For all those interested in having lucid dreams or just enhancing your dream recall and vividness, this is for you. This'll be pretty comprehensive - background information, theory, techniques you can utilize, and finally supplements you can take advantage of. I don't know if I'll tear through all of this in one post, but I'll get it all here eventually. I'll answer whatever questions I can also.

Background Information

Review of the Sleep Cycle

Sleepers generally move through four to six sleep cycles per night, with each cycle lasting between 70 and 110 minutes. Each cycle is either non-REM or REM sleep. Furthermore, non-REM sleep goes through phases, moving from wakefulness down to a deep, regenerative sleep, then back up towards wakefulness.

Relaxation, slow brainwaves, regular blood pressure, and decreasing temperature and muscle tone are all characteristics of deep non-REM sleep. REM sleep on the other hand is characterized by an increase in heart and respiratory rate, rapid and irregular eye movements, and paralysis of the body from the chin down. Males develop erections during REM sleep- hello morning wood. :rolleyes: It is important to note that the REM periods of sleep are longest in the later cycles, towards the end of the sleeping process.

It has been proven through clinical studies that time elapses at roughly the same rate during dreaming as it does in waking life. The average lucid dream only lasts 5-10 minutes, with the ability to control the content and the ability to recall the dream upon waking up somewhat diminished. High level lucid dreams (those we can aim to reproduce consistently with the use of supplements and diligent practice) can last longer than 30 minutes and are accompanied by excellent control and recall.

The sleep cycles are controlled by neurotransmitters in the brain. These can be influenced by foods, medicines, herbs, and supplements to alter how alert we feel, how well we sleep, and how long we spend in the REM phase of sleep. More on this later in the supplements section.

REM Rebound Effect

It is commonly reported that people sobering up tend to have more vivid dreams. The reason for this is that alcohol and THC are both known to suppress REM sleep. What is interesting is that when you are deprived of REM sleep, your body will try to make up for this the next time you sleep and you will have longer, more vivid dreams as a result. This is only if you discontinue the use of the substance causing this to begin with of course.

Predominate Dream Theories

There are two major theories concerning what causes dreams to occur. The first asserts that dreams only occur during REM sleep, and that they are caused by the release of a specific neurotransmitter called acetylcholine, while at the same time they are suppressed by the neurotransmitter serotonin. This theory postulates that the brainstem is responsible for dreaming, which has some consequences.

Were this the case, it would mean that cognition plays practically no role in dreaming. The brainstem simply causes a random firing of neurons which travel to the cognition center of the brain (forebrain) where they are passively synthesized by its memory into a "best fit" for otherwise incoherent data. In other words the random impulses make it to the forebrain where it tries to force meaning to them. This would explain nonsensical and truly random dreams that we all have, but it would not account for the dreams which we control and orchestrate.

The second theory is perhaps more accurate. It is known that 5-30% of REM awakenings do not elicit reports of the sleepers having been dreaming, and at least 5-10% of non-REM awakenings do in fact elicit dream reports. This second theory tries to account for these discrepancies by theorizing that the forebrain is responsible for causing dreams. It is well known that the forebrain has little, if any effect on REM sleep, so the ultimate conclusion is that REM is not required for dreaming to occur. Proof of this theory can be found when taking into consideration that brain lesions in the forebrain halt dreams 70-90% of the time, without interrupting REM sleep, thus disassociating the two processes (REM & dreaming).

What can you learn from these theories?

• The release of specific neurotransmitters control which state of sleep we are in as well as the activation of the dreaming process itself.
    • Foods, medicines, herbs, etc. can impact the levels of these neurotransmitters
    • Most vivid dreams occur during REM sleep, but can occur in light non-REM sleep
    • Acetylcholine has the ability to switch on and maintain REM sleep

Types of Lucid Dreams

DILDs

Dream Induced Lucid Dreams. These occur when a person is already dreaming, and all of a sudden comes to the realization they are indeed dreaming. These start as regular dreams.

WILDs

Wake Induced Lucid Dreams. These are characterized by going from wakefulness directly into the dream world. One moment you are conscious in your physical body and the next you are conscious in your dream body. During the transition one can undergo some intense sesations including a feeling of floating, strong vibrations, or rapid accelerations. Interestingly, these are the same sensations most typically referred to in out of body experiences (OBE). When transitioning from your physical body to your dream body, there is a very strong chance (>80%) that you will find yourself standing in your bedroom. This, again, is a strong link to OBE.

Neurotransmitters

The primary neurotransmitter I want to discuss is Acetylcholine (ACh). ACh has a profound effect on lucid dreaming, it enables you to focus and greatly increases your chances of inducing both DILDs and WILDs. ACh levels tend to decrease in our bodies as we age. Slightly elevated ACh levels are associated with good memory, ability to learn, and increased time spent in REM sleep. Decreased levels are associated with Alzheimer's disease (and poor memory in general), an inability to think clearly, fatigue, and suppressed REM sleep. In advanced Alzheimer's disease, where memory has almost totally stopped functioning, ACh levels are as much as 90% lower than normal. Many studies outside the scope of dream enhancement suggest supplementing diets with ACh boosting nutrients to prevent such memory decay later in life.

Supplements

For our purposes, we would want increased levels of ACh during the later cycles of sleep so as to benefit the longest REM phases. As well, natural levels of ACh are very low in deep non-REM sleep, yet increase during REM sleep. This means that it is not wise to take any supplements that would boost ACh before sleeping as it would simply rob you of the deep sleep you need while not even boosting the REM phase which ACh would benefit. So it is recommended to take such supplements after 4-5 hours of good sleep. They are absorbed quickly and thus would onset at just the right time to have a profound effect on dreaming.

Galantamine

Method

Galantamine inhibits the substance that breaks down ACh in your brain, thereby allowing ACh to build up to increased levels. As well as being an inhibitor, there is evidence that it acts as an agonist and therefore gives a double boost to the levels of ACh within the brain. Galantamine reaches peak concentration in plasma just 60 minutes after ingestion, but takes 48 hours to be flushed from the body.

Effect

Galantamine causes extremely vivid and long dreams. It is especially powerful and useful in its ability to be used as a lucid dream trigger and is the author's supplement of choice among many.

Dosage

Again I will reiterate it is important to take galantamine after 4-5 hours of sleep for it to be effective. 4mg - 8mg is a sufficient dose, and because it stays in your system for 2 days, it is recommended that you do not take it two nights consecutively lest you want to develop a tolerance to the substance. Space it out and take it every other night or every third night if you wish.

Choline

Method

Once in the brain, choline salts (choline bitartrate & choline citrate are most commonly just listed as choline) are converted into ACh. The advantage they have is that they are quickly absorbed by the body.

Effect

Choline can be used synergistically with galantamine because of the short time it takes to reach peak concentrations in plasma. Galantamine inhibits the breakdown of ACh but does not increase the production of it- adding choline jumpstarts the process and noticeably increases the odds of becoming lucid while intensifying the transitioning process.

Dosage

Choline is considered an essential nutrient and 400-550mg are recommended as a daily allowance. For lucid dream purposes, 400-800mg is recommended. The maximum safe level has been set at 3.5 grams a day, so no worries taking 800mg if you have the opportunity.

Lucid Dreams Elucidated

It has been reported that 90% of lucid dreams are DILDs and only 10% are WILDs. WILD of course refers to the phenomonen of moving directly from waking consciousness into a dream with total continuity. The actual transition from the physical world to the dream world can be every bit as intense as jumping out of an airplane (these words are from someone who has indeed jumped out of an airplane).

The following accounts for "40%" of the author's experiences with WILDs and how the onset occurs.

"The most gentle of these types of transitions generally starts as a feeling of floating...after a little practice with this feeling you learn that your mind has in fact already formed your dream body and it is lying in a more or less coincident position with your physical body. In these cases it is possible to guide your dream body away from your physical body, stand up, and walk away. "

"The third type of transition is quite common and can be very intense. Once again consciousness remains unbroke but this time I experience what I refer to as intense accelerations as a means of moving into the dream world. This is almost always just a tactile sensation that involves my body suddenly accelerating in a particular direction at incredible speeds. The velocity can vary greatly...but can be faster and more realistic than you can possibly imagine. Furthermore I may suddenly stop or change direction in a totally unpredictable way. Sometimes I feel a texture underneath me, like I am being dragged across the ground (don't worry it never hurts). Generally when the acceleration stops I either find myself in a dream or in my bedroom in which case I just get up and walk away. This type of experience accounts for about 45% of my WILDs."

Specific suggestions for your first lucid dream attempt using galantamine & choline

• Do not consume alcohol on the evening prior.
    • Go to bed early, around 10:30 or 11.
    • Sleep peacefully until 3:30 or 4:00 AM and get up. Try to use an alarm just barely effective enough to wake you up, not something placed across the room or obnoxiously loud.
    • Have a glass of water set out with the galantamine and choline - recommended dosage for first attempt is 4-8mg of galantamine with 250-500mg of choline.
    • You do not want to fall immediately back to sleep, you want to transition after the supplements have started working.
    • Lie back down in bed, preferably on your back with your hands to your sides.
    • When you first lie down verbally reinforce your intentions. Either in your mind's dialogue or outloud, repeat "I will become lucid and dream." If you wish, you can follow with a short sentence about your intentions in whatever you want to dream (I.E., While I'm in the dream I will fly).
    • After you go over this three times quiet your mind. Focus on not thinking and let go of any thoughts that cross your mind. Don't get frustrated if your inner voice keeps talking, just let it go, pay no attention, and keep yourself calm.
    • After about twenty minutes turn on your side.
    • From here, remain calmly relaxed and patient. It may take you a while to fall back asleep due to the ACh levels building, combined with your own excitement. It gets easier after a couple attempts.
    • If you feel any sensations, try not to get excited, but just relax and wait as best you can.
    • If the vibrations get very strong or you are rapidly accelerating, there is a good chance you are already in your dream body and you can just get up and walk away. For the first few attempts, however, you should remain still and wait for the dream to form around you.

Key Factors

• Quiet the mind
    • Relax
    • Passively watch any images that form in your mind
    • Form an intent to have a lucid dream
    • Be patient and passively wait

What to Expect

• Up to an hour before you get back to sleep
    • Possible gentle throbbing in head
    • Possible vibrations in head
    • Possible feeling of floating
    • Possible sensation of sudden acceleration
    • The lucid dream itself

Improving Your Odds via WILDs

Many people will be successful on their first attempt. If you aren't, make sure you are abiding by the guidelines and don't stress it, you will get it after a few attempts. It is recommended you wait two or three days between attempts.

An excellent way to quiet the mind and prepare for the transition from the physical to the lucid dream state is to do tactile exercise. These are exercises which involve imagining the sensation of motion. Imagine floating up out of your body or sinking down beneath your body. Exhaling and sinking and inhaling and rising is one way you can do this. Visualizing this will help when the time comes for you to actually get up and walk away with your dream body.

Seeded visualizations are a great way to begin dreams also. You want to reserve these for when you are very close to sleep: around a half hour after lying back down. You visualize a place, a person, an object, just for a split second. If nothing happens, you wait a little, and then do it again. "I just keep dropping seeds until they take off on their own." You repeat this process and passively wait to see if anything else happens. These flashes tend to create other flashes that get longer in duration. The author describes "seeding" to the point where he will almost enter a dream but come back out. After doing this a few times he finds himself transitioning into the dream world already.

When you are transitioning, sensations of movement will most likely occur in some fashion. You need to relax. The idea of relaxing might seem comical or impractical the first time you experience this, but as I've recently overcome this myself it's certainly possible and more accurately, necessary. If you tense up or move during these episodes you will ruin the transition and find yourself lying in bed frustrated, unable to get to sleep let alone attempt at transitioning again. Feelings that you are rolling over (and out of bed in my case) or floating upwards are extremely authentic, yet you have to go with the flow and simply enjoy the ride.

Eventually, however, you will need to assume control of your dream body. This is the most exciting part, where you actually step, roll, or float your way out into the dream world onto your own two feet. The only sense you are in decent control over when this first happens is touch - you can feel well enough but your vision is extremely blurry and needs focusing. I can totally vouch for this. The author recommends two specific ways for regaining control of your vision.

1. Look very closely at objects and try to see the small details in them. Keep moving but keep looking at objects and noticing their features.

2. Simply jump up and down while staring at an object. The author says it takes about 10-20 jumps before his vision snaps into focus.

After you gain control of your movement and vision there's one thing left, in the author's words:

"The detail is incredible and can be totally convincing that you really are walking around your physical house. I get bored walking around a dark house at 4 AM so I usually venture outside. Once outside I either consciously change my location or it happens spontaneously and the lucid dream goes on from there."

Don't get too excited with the possibilities, just explore and enjoy your experience as best you can. With more practice you will gain greater control.

Breaking Down the Wall

[This next section is paraphrasing a very interesting chapter towards the end of the book I've been citing from throughout this thread. The second paragraph outlines a practice which the author says is "at least ten times as beneficial as keeping an updated dream journal." A bold statement in my opinion, as keeping a journal really intensified my dreams compared to the time before I kept one. I will surely give some feedback on this practice as I incorporate it into my routine.]

There is a divide between the physical and the dream world. Only the dedicated, talented, and lucky people throughout history have crossed this barrier. The author proposes that neither theory put forth by science concerning dreams is accurate. He believes we are continually dreaming throughout the night and that our consciousness is always continuous during every instance of our existence (a belief he shares with Tibetans). He believes it is memory that breaks down during our sleep leaving us with almost complete amnesia. I can't help but point out that this explanation would also account for the effects of cannabis on dreaming, concerning short-term memory impairment. Regardless, it is no coincidence that the best lucid dream triggers are powerful memory boosters. Today's dream theories are based on the fact that people don't remember their dreams, but this presupposes that no recollection also means no experience, which isn't necessarily the case.

"At the beginning of every lucid dream, I practice what I call physical recall. Factual information such as names, dates, even credit card numbers, are easily conjured up. However, experiential information, such as what I ate for breakfast the previous morning may leave me completely stumped. I find that this ability can drastically be improved with practice, and will result in more and more high level lucid dreams, even on nights when no supplements are used. Specifically, as I am getting ready to enter a lucid dream, I seed snapshots of a certain event that happened to me. After I become lucid I continue to do so, until the dream transforms into a reenactment of the memory. It is an amazing experience because you actually relive the memory instead of just remember it. Doing this on a regular basis results in better memory and better recall.

General Tips & Techniques

Keeping a Dream Journal

You've probably heard of this. Memory and dream recall are two of the biggest obstacles you have to face when dealing with dreams, and both can be improved by keeping a dream journal. You want to write down the date and the content of every dream you have, little or big, memorable or fuzzy. You want to include literally everything you can remember, from the progression of the dream to the small details that stuck out in your mind and carried over to the next morning when you awoke. Keep your notebook and pen beside your bed so that you are able to record your memories as soon as you wake up. If you find yourself struggling to remember something, simply lying back down, closing your eyes, and picturing the dream again may help you restore temporarily forgotten events. The key is to jot everything down while it is fresh on your memory.

As a followup, you may wish to read through your dream journal from time to time. Doing this will allow you to analyze your dreams and potentially identify recurring themes. If you become aware of these themes you will be more likely to identify them the next time they occur, further increasing your chance to realize that you are dreaming.

If you are taking supplements and attempting WILDs, it is wise to include additional information such as: dosage, time of consumption, techniques utilized, duration of sleep before and after consumption, details of the transition, ratings of vividness, and ratings of your ability to control the dream. Over time you will find your most effective routine.

Reality Testing

This is very useful for prospective lucid dreamers who are not interested in taking supplements, but requires diligence and thoughtful practice. Reality testing is what it sounds like, and consists of analyzing your environment to see whether or not you are in a dream. Of course, during waking life, this may strike you as silly because you "know" you are in reality and not in a dream. However, when you practice this on a regular basis, it will carry over into the dream world, where you are then much more likely to realize you are in a dream. I could elaborate, but to keep this simple, you only need to the think of all the ridiculous things that occur in any one of your dreams, and wonder why you don't have the sense when they're happening to realize you are in a dream. This practice attempts to fix this problem.

Examples of extremely effective reality testing are as follows: flicking light switches on and off merely to observe the effect; looking at your wrist if you normally wear a watch and focusing on whether the analog or digital components are operating correctly, looking away, and then looking back again; pinching your nose and trying to breathe without using your mouth. Explanations of each of these are as follows: in dreams, light switches rarely work properly; analog and digital watches, as well as clocks, are usually malfunctioning in dreams and often change time completely when you look away and look back at them again; breathing with your nose pinched and your mouth closed is possible only while dreaming.

There are many other methods, including the practice of trying to stick your finger through the palm of your hand. Pick one you can remember to do (checking my watch has always helped me and I've had multiple dreams where I perform this test) and practice it daily.

Elongating Lucid Dreams

Ways to continue dreams that are losing clarity or feel like they're slipping away include engaging your physical senses. Simply spinning your dream body is very effective. Touching your tongue to the roof of your mouth, grabbing onto objects, and screaming are all effective as well. This is the only part of this thread I've looked towards Wikipedia for information about, but this information is cited from Laberge, whose collaboration on Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming is actually recommended reading from the author I've been getting most of my information from. In other words, it is very reliable.

A Perspective on Transitioning

Transitioning refers to the experience of moving from the physical state into the dream state with an unbroken thread of consciousness. You do not lose your memory, your identity, or your train of thought, even for a split second. Transitioning is one of the most profound experiences you can achieve. This type of transition is what Tibetan dream yogis strive for. It is often referred to as an out of body experience or an astral journey. The belief structures for this experience are different, but the content is one and the same.

Lucid dreamers believe it is a transition into a dream. Tibetans believe that the transition is a rehearsel for death, so that one can learn to maintain awareness after the physical life ceases with the hope of breaking the endless cycle of reincarnation. The out of body believers perceive it to be one body leaving another; the astral body being of a finer type of energy which has the ability to traverse the physical earth or enter the astral planes. The spirit quest practitioners believe it to be a journey for knowledge or healing purposes, in which you may encounter ancient ancestors or great teachers with metaphysic abilities. Nobody knows who is right, but the fact remains that the experience itself will change your life forever. It is at your fingertips should you choose to seek it out, which I hope you do.

One Final Note

Don't underestimate the power of your mind. More than wanting it to happen, you have to expect it to happen, to be sure of it. One of the breakthrough methods introduced in the 90's was termed MILD. This stands for Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dreams. As I've hopefully recommended at some point in this thread, it is profoundly useful for one to remind themselves and instill their goals into their minds as they go to sleep. Repeating the phrase you like best that says in some way: "I will dream tonight. I will remember." is extremely effective. Much in the same vein of the placebo effect, you have the ability to turn your will into reality if you believe you do. Good luck, and pleasant dreams everyone.

2. Ironically enough, this stuff isn't bs. Happens to me a few times a year. I asked my doctor about it, and he told me it was 'sleep paralysis' where upon waking up whatever brain part switches you from paralyzed to mobile doesn't quite switch and your left there completely well, immobile. Vibrations, loud chaotic noises, out of body experience? Sometimes it feels like the last place your in is your body. Kinda a mind trip. Some theorists say it's what happens when you're abducted by aliens. Either way it's more of a nuisance than anything!

3. It's my experience that marijuana use negatively effects my ability to remember my dreams. It doesn't even seem like I have any.

4. Less to confuse. :)

5. I've had dreams after smoking. I think it's just more difficult to recall the dream because marijuana affects short term memory. I've noticed that my dreams were more vivid and intense during days that I did not smoke versus days that I have smoked.

6. It's fascinating really. dredg put out a concept album dealing with sleep paralysis, which the lead singer Gavin suffered from. I've had it happen to me before and, despite the common feeling of overwhelming fear during the actual episode, when I awoke I wanted to go through the experience again. Nothing quite like it. Third world countries and other cultures have different names for it such as "scissor lock," lots of societies are superstitious enough to believe it's a demon or bad spirit sitting on your chest while you sleep.

I highly recommend you check out the album el cielo if you're interested in the subject of sleep paralysis. Anyway, I'll be adding more to the main post here in a little bit. Most of what is there already is theory and background info, so I'll try to get into supplements and practices you can utilize to become more successful now. :devious:

7. :(

I thought this thread was about CONTROLLING your own dreams.

...Now THAT would be the shit.

8. It is. :confused: I have beaten around the bush a little, but I'm a comprehensive person when it comes to lucid dreaming. In essence, if you are having a lucid dream you are in control. The extent depends on your experience and other factors of course, but that is totally what defines lucid dreaming- being aware you are dreaming and having the ability to direct and control the dream. If you follow the advice given above you will be able to have lucid dreams also.

Being able to change your dream's environment very quickly, being able to elongate a dream that is slipping away, and generally being in better control are things I will add when I finish my last edit. Maybe I'll condense the most important stuff in a cliff notes fashion for the uninvested readers, but that will come last.

9. I dream lucidly at least once a month (DILDs) I've been doing it since I was about 4 or 5.
    I learned how to make myself lucid whenever I became very afraid in my dreams. If the dream became scary or strange I would try to change the dream to prevent a nightmare ("you're not a monster, you're a gumball machine!") or I would kill myself in the dream to escape the nightmare. loldark,i know
    I'm not lucid as often as I used to be but it still kicks in during nightmares.
    Lucid dreaming can be alot of fun, I wonder if theres a thread where we can share our stories?

I really want to try the WILD method but i'm not sure if I can. Sometimes when falling asleep it begins to happen on its own (probably because I have a very bad disrupted sleep pattern) but i cant help but try to stop it because it feels exactly like when sleep paralysis is setting in. The vibrations are what get to me :mad:
    I guess I just have to suck it up and go through the paralysis to get to the lucidity?
    I'm really going to work on this but I think I can develop my own method for meself, I don't like the idea of using galantamine & choline I'm pretty confident I can do it myself. :cool:

For anyone else reading the thread and wanting to dream lucidly, I'd like to add that I think the most important steps are setting your goal ("I will become lucid and dream") and also relaxing as much as possible as you enter the dreaming world. Its very easy to lose hold over the dream if you get too anxious or excited.

10. Vitamin B-6 is another supplement that helps to lucid dream. It also makes dreams a lot more vivid

11. i think my dreams are lucid.... and i kinda half remember all of them... but only after sitting in the morning and being like... where the fuck is this memory from....

it causes me some intense deja-vu throughout the day as well... especially if i try and remember the day...

weird.

12. Just to add, general awareness practices, meditation, and "witnessing yourself" cause alot more spontaneous lucid dreaming experiences as well.

13. so once you got this down lets get a list of some great things to do while lucid dreaming..

14. Dramamine will make your dreams more vivid and allow you to have more than one dream. I pop some every so often and each time I have around 8-9 dreams, only thoroughly recalling 3-4.

15. Interestingly, over the course of the last 6-8 months since I got heavily into spirituality and meditation, my dream patterns have changed.

All my life i have had few dreams..recollectable ones anyway...and they were always patchy and irrelevant and often goofy.

After a certain period of cultivating a meditative state, and turning vegetarian and doing pranayaam every morning, I had 3 continuous nights of very vivid, very long, very intricate dreams, like I have never had before. All of them were of a ghastly nature. First one involved alot of physical fist combat, with me prevailing and causing major damage every time - there was no anger involved. Next one involved alot of weird scenes, very realistic and properly integrated..an A grade horror film if you may - alot of decapitations, yeti type monsters, cops blowing peoples heads off point blank with shotguns, all kinds of stuff.

Funnily enough these were never unsettling and never occured to me as nightmares. After these dreams, alot of anger and hostility in me, seems to have simply deflated and vanished. I wasn't hostile to begin with, but I just became alot more passive, and hostile thoughts within vanished. I had a similar experience when I was young and I attended an intensive chakra cleansing workshop. It is quite apparent to me that this was internal carthasis of a cleansing nature due to the meditation, yoga, and diet change.

Ever since then I dream ALOT more, every night 2-3 dreams, before I would have 2-3 short, pointless dreams that were poorly formed a WEEK, now I have upto 5-6 but at least 1-2 dreams every night, and well integrated.

The number and intensity has increased even more since using DMT regularly for the last one week.

16. Do you watch television by any chance?

17. well in a TRUE lucid dream you DO control everything.
    and everything feelz real and you have total recall.
    but i havent had a true lucid dream yet.
    weed in your system iz bad for lucid dreaming.

18. A little. Much less than just a year ago. Seem to have lost all interest. Horror/gruesome movies have never been of any interest to me, when I do watch TV its comedy sitcoms and thats pretty much all I can stand. This wasn't due to TV.

19. Well, the last time I posted I decided I would try to take double the supplements I normally take (what the author of the book I read takes regularly) and try to have a WILD. I did all the techniques and they all worked great. I got to the point where I was lying on my side, over a half hour after I had woken up and taken the supplements. I was seeding visualizations successfully for the past 10 minutes or so, and I felt an extremely realistic feeling that I was falling out of bed, and I made the mistake of moving because it felt so real I was afraid I was about to crash to the floor. This happened twice, after the second time my frustration kept me from falling back to sleep for a long while and I didn't dream at all afterwards or I didn't recollect them if I did. After reading up on this process again, I realized I sabotaged the process by moving and that there was a very good chance these were the sensations the author warned about.

I waited a couple days and set out my supplements again, but I wasn't concentrated enough to try it again. Last night I saw the pills beside my bed, realized how long I had waited, and decided to try again. I had the exact same experience as the time before, with the rolling over feeling. This time I rode it out, and to my delight I never ended up rolling out of bed, it was all in my head so to speak. I do think I got up too early afterwards, because when I got up into the dream world everything was very hazy. But the point is, I transitioned from wakefulness to the dream world for the first time successfully! :hello:

It was fucking amazing. I literally got out of my bed and onto my floor, and from there started to try some techniques to bring some clarity to my vision because everything was fuzzy. I didn't have very much success controlling this experience. My roommate, who was sleeping not five feet away from me in the real world, at one point got out of bed and started hovering off the ground with me. Well, not quite him, but a strange amalgamation resembling him I should say. I attempted to change the dreamscape entirely to where I wanted to be but that failed miserably, I realized it wasn't going to be that easy my first time. So I decided I would try to fly, and that too was amazingly difficult. I ended up merely hovering very slowly off of the ground while some strange voices were making fun of me.

Overall, it was a very interesting experience and I'm now confident that the techniques I've been reading up on are effective. Next time I'm going to allow more of a window between when I feel the sensations and when I decide to try and actually get out of my physical body. I just have to say it was incredible to actually experience this transition finally, I've been excited about this for a long time but I've only now started to really get into it. I think this is the beginning of a wonderful relationship. :D

On that note, I'll finally finish this topic up like I said I was going to do. The next edit will have the most pertinent techniques and practices to improving your odds at having lucid dreams. Til then. :wave:

20. Everytime I smoked and started to pass out, I would think I was going to lucid dream. I really wanted to. Maybe I did, and forgot?

We'll never know...