Lubricating Your Pipe, Bong, or Grinder:

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Thinker2357, Feb 4, 2012.

1. We have all experienced the frustration of the grinder which we could not get open or the stem stuck in the bong. My practice to help avoid these problems is to lubricate the mating surfaces on my pipes, bongs, and grinder.

My favorite lubrication for the threads on my pipes and grinder is Tri-Flo. I like using a tiny drop of this oil on metal threads to keep them from getting stuck. Tri-Flo is important because it does not volatize too much (give off too many fumes) to be used around marijuana and yet it is an excellent lubricant. It is not messy and is a cinch to wipe off.

Care must be taken when applying Tri-Flo, or any oil, that only tiny amounts are applied and no oil gets onto any surface other than the actual threads. Not even a speck of oil belongs where the weed will go or in the smoke path. It is actually pretty easy to do right but can be done wrong so take care.

Never use WD-40 or any penetrating oil around weed. These oils give off excessive fumes and will contaminate your equipment and your weed. Just never use that stuff.

Paraffin wax (candle wax) works well on threads but is much more difficult to apply properly.

Certain paste waxes will work as lubricants as well but, again, are much harder to use on threads.

On my bongs where I have sticky glass-to-glass mating surfaces, I like to use Petroleum Jelley (Vaseline) as a lubricant. This is especially important when the glass parts are new and the sand blasting is "sharp" and not yet worn down. For example: I have a bong with a nice deep stem. However, these particular mating surfaces have a "sweet spot" where if they art turned a certain way they tend to get stuck together. The stem gets stuck inside the bong. What I do to keep this from happening is I liberally coat the inside of the bong opening and the outside of the stem with petroleum jelly. Problem solved. Since this can be messy, care must be taken to wipe off any excess.

Thats it.

2. I lube my pipe all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haha and where does your pipe go after you lube it?

4. I'm still trying to figure out where the real discussion is here. You just told us a bit of information and said that's it. Wat.

5. Well what do you want to discuss? I'm open to editing. :)

The point is there is a right way and a wrong way to do this.

I like what works for me:)

6. Never heard of this before. Wouldn't this make the downstem come out alot easier while you're pulling out your bowl? (Unless you lube the bong bowl too, but damn thats way too much lube...)

And I see absolutely no reason to lube your pipe... what purpose would that serve?

7. I meant a THREADED pipe. i.e. metal

O.K.?

8. i find the fact you lube everything more creepy than any thing else.

9. Already exists. Sticks if you pull straight, comes out if you twist + pull.

[​IMG]

10. Look....just take it from an old skool stoner.

I'm trying to give you guys a clue to taking care of your shit.

You'll learn one way or the other. :)

Just trying to save you the hassle of learning the hard way.

11. I think people thought you were just putting crisco on glass bowls, hence the confusion:smoke:

12. If you keep your shit sparkling clean you never have problems...

13. why's everyone so jaded. It works, stop bitching.

14. This

And smoking out of metal is kinda lame, glass is the best thing for pipes

15. I just clean my stuff with alcohol and it stays lubricated.

16. Ive never had my bowl stuck in my bong? But whatever atleast you took the time to make a informative thread man.

17. Very bad idea. Definitely don't use it in pipes or grinders. A good grinder is the sharp crusher or chromium crusher which can be had for 20 shipped on amazon. I have had them both and they never get stuck threads. Use joint wax for bongs, its natural beeswax.

18. lube can be pretty important for the build a hoss owners out there. sometimes those attachments get stuck nice... just watch how much you use because it attracts dirt and resin.

19. Not working for me. The stem gets hot and melts the petroleum jelly, rendering it far less effective, and the stem get stuck anyway. Any alternatives that might work better for me?