LST Splitting My Stem?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Head Spin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. About Half an inch above the Dirt My Stem is splitting, It doesn't look like Its getting any worse but What can I do To Prevent It From Splitting more?

Should I Just Let My Plant Grow Straight Up And Then Before Flower Comes Put Her Back Into LST or should I Just Untie The LST?

THANKS EVERYONE!!

2. A pic would help, but it should be ok, just leave it.

When you say split? you mean like a section is splitting off as in, a sliver?

can you see the "inside" of the stalk?

these are tough plants.

If the stalk is "bent" you can restrict circulation and you should UN-kink it.

I have even taped a splint on a bent stalk and the plant grew totally normal.

3. You probably wouldn't be able to let it grow straight now and LST later right before flower - the stem hardens and grows resistant to training as the plants grow bigger.

The split didn't happen right when the plant was bent, it developed later? Maybe it not even due to the LST, just coincident timing?

Noob here- albeit a well read one. My first LST I broke a stem really bad and it recovered very fast, and very strong. The pics below are a bit less than 2wks apart, and the first pic is about a week after the break. So I vote just leave it be. Tough plants for sure like dalars said.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. You should release the lst, or at least loosen it up enough to reconnect the split so that the plant can heal itself. Not sure how you did it but sometimes you have to do a gradual lst, kind of easing the plant into the training. Its not anything I've practiced myself, just stuff i've read.

5. [quote name='"Airf0nz0"']You should release the lst, or at least loosen it up enough to reconnect the split so that the plant can heal itself. Not sure how you did it but sometimes you have to do a gradual lst, kind of easing the plant into the training. Its not anything I've practiced myself, just stuff i've read.[/quote]

I agree with this. And it helps to use and anchor tie at the base of the stem and then lst the rest of the plant. This keeps the first few inches of the main stem pointing straight up so the roots don't get ripped by the bending and helps it not split like that.

So basically if you tie the top of the plant to the left, have a tie at the base of the plant pulling to right to stabilize it.

But looking at the pic it looks like you started lst'ing to low and are stretching the plant too hard. It should be bending at the center of the stems not at the nodes. When you put that much stress on a node it brakes.

6. ^^ *** it should be noted the pics are not OPs I was just showing how my stem healed quickly

And I think these guys are right, easing up sounds like the right thing to do if the branch really is clearly "splintering" due to the bending stress. I wasn't really thinking about it like that when i replied before - OP - pics of yours would definitely help people help you!

mjmama... i know that was a weird way to do the training... I was trying to get half the plant to go one way, half to go the other way, and yes i put way to much stress on it, but I dunno... I kinda like how its turning out. I did let that stake go not too long after

7. [quote name='"windowless"']^^ *** it should be noted the pics are not OPs I was just showing how my stem healed quickly

And I think these guys are right, easing up sounds like the right thing to do if the branch really is clearly "splintering" due to the bending stress. I wasn't really thinking about it like that when i replied before - OP - pics of yours would definitely help people help you!

mjmama... i know that was a weird way to do the training... I was trying to get half the plant to go one way, half to go the other way, and yes i put way to much stress on it, but I dunno... I kinda like how its turning out. I did let that stake go not too long after[/quote]

Oops, thanks for the clarification about the pics. It's late and I'm ready for bed, lol. My brain isn't working at full steam. Night all. :)

8. I've never heard that about not bending at the nodes mjmama. I'll be sure my plants are getting trained in the right spot. Thanks for the info.

9. Will Be Posting Pics Later! Thanks For All The Help Guys! Please Be Sure To Stay Checked For Pics.