LST root system overhaul

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by puffpuffpasser, Apr 21, 2010.

1. so i was reading about low stress training and i had a baked idea.

When a plant is bent over and tied down, why not cut about a 1/4" to 1/8" patch off the stem on the bottom where it will touch the soil and treat it with root growth hormone. Once the roots take hold there will be no need for tieoffs (lower stressed plants) and water and nutrients will be supplied to the outer leaves much faster possibly adding to grow size

let me know if you need a picture drawn. Im feeling too high for that right now

2. This is a kind of air-layering. You can do the same thing using a rockwool cube; I have one ready to be cut, already rooted on an existing plant. I also have read about a grower who had a plant that was as you described, many arches of plants. When they were dug up due to accusations of having too many plants, it was discovered to be one plant, rooted multiple times.

3. are there advantages to that? would it be worth it in a grow or just a cool thing to try?

4. #4 zpyro, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
    Having more roots is hardly ever a bad thing, but it depends on what setting you're doing it. If you're rooting them in the same pot as the main plant, there probably isn't too much to gain b/c the main roots will be filling up whatever space the additional roots would. There's only so much room in a bucket/pot, if the side branches are rooting then they'll just be competing for the same water/nutrients. If it's out doors and you aren't limited on root space much if at all, then having multiple root systems will give the bigger plant more access to water and nutrients. Not to mention having a nice big plant from which to harvest :D I want to try this outdoors and make a friggin shrub, keep it as short and wide and sprawling as possible.

5. ur right that sounds good for outdoor make a tree plant hah

6. idk i this thread is dead or not or whatever i been reading on lst and root growth hormones too what if you had 1 bucket in the middle and like 4 buckets around it so you could grow it big enough and root the 4 way lst stems in its own pot then deal with it from there it would be like 1 plant 5 pots would probably be a waste of time an effort tho right..?

7. #7 GrapeStreet, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
    Not if you're an MMJ grower.

Many of the MMJ laws specify maximum plants per patient. As it is in Colorado, 6 is your limit.

This method isn't actually air layering but "soil" layering. If you continue to take the apical shoot from the outer plants, and bend them again into another pot (or another section of the ground) to make arches, it's called "serpentine layering."

I used this method to stretch out my mint plants to fill in their containers. Now I've got something like 500 individual shoots coming up from where 2 plants were put before. Each shoot can survive on its own should it be transplanted.

This is a GREAT idea, as you're using the accumulative growth of the mother to feed your cloning, and you don't have to break the numeric stipulations of the law.

For Black Market grows, it'd be beneficial to an extent, but the Clone Machine/SoG method is one of the most space/time efficient IMO.

Also, a single problem with your central "mother" plant would result in a chain-reaction to the little ones and could cost you a lot in the end.

--
    All in all, you guys are right, it will work. "Octopus plants" are a great way to ensure quick healthy growth of your clones without the need to cut many to get a few.

When layering, damage the underside of the shoot you plan on rooting, and ensure moisture in the smaller bucket stays very moist until roots have formed.

You can use rooting hormone, root gel, mycocohrizae concentrate, willow leaf tea to aid production.

DO NOT top or Fim the stem you are rooting. The apical maristem (top tip) is responsible for production of rooting hormones and damaging it will slow the process.

Using Coco Coir instead of regular potting soil will help with the water retention, just use a ball of it in the center of the pot, or mix it in with your small pot's soil.

Temperature is key too, keeping the plants above 70dF will decrease rooting time. Keeping it closer to 80dF is optimal for rooting.